Sign in to follow this  
Kidknie

Freedom Code Of Conduct

Freedom Code of Conduct  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should repeatedly ignoring the Freedom Code of Conduct in dealing with the same person or persons be considered harassment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who cares?

There are too many weird and insecure people in Wurm. Even if you are following all the rules and FCC, there are idiots out there who will still find some stupid way to get hurt and take offence because of their own insecurity.

Here are some of the most insecure bizarre events I've ever been involved in:

- Many months ago on Independence, I found a pair of wild horses on the Eastern Plains. Nearby was a cart and a dead corpse of a player. I PMed the player asking if those were her horses and she gave me an earful, swearing at me and telling me not to steal it and then her mum (apparently) and her friend logged on a few minutes later and gave me another earful and called a GM on me who froze me in place temporarily and then released me. What did I do wrong? All I wanted to do was ask if those horses belonged to her.

- On Exodus a few months ago, I was grinding on a silver vein near the starter deed. While my main was grinding, I decided to run around on my alt and randomly saw planks for a group of new players. I gave them 60 planks for free and then one of them asked Local if I was a thief, concluded that I was based on the people in local not knowing who I am, threatened to kill me in real life and then called a GM on me (Oracle responded). I gave him planks for free, then he threatens to kill me in real life and calls the GM on me. What did I do wrong??!?!

- Recently on Celebration, I went afk next to the coast while waiting for my boat ride to arrive. A player then came by, questioned me as to why I was staring at his boat and then called me a useless player. What did I do wrong? All I was doing was afking next to a boat.

I don't need this crap! If anything, people need to stop with the whinging and whining and actually assess the situation they are in before they start crying, pulling out the griefing card, logging multiple /support and wasting everyone's time.

What the FCC/Rules need to include and outline very clearly to players is a grievance procedure for resolving disputes. It should be something like this.

1. Do you have a problem with another player? If yes, please continue.

2. Have you discussed it with the player? If yes, please continue.

3. Are you not satisfied with their response? If yes, please continue.

4. Are they breaking any rules according to Wurm Online Rules? If yes, please continue.

5. Log a /support and wait patiently for the GM to respond. If they can't respond to you in a timely manner, they will contact you another day or on the Forum.

EDIT: By the way, I voted No because I believe the GM's have to review each case individually.

Edited by RomaN
  • Like 5

Roman, it sounds as though you have indeed had some unfortunate situations come up. That said, so have we. Unless you were there, you don't and cannot know.

Personally after reading the lot of what happened to roman (also knowing this probably isnt the only other person that this happens/ed to) people need to chill out, a lot of people who help others in this game get shot in the crossfire when people have the mentality of shoot first ask questions later. Put your internet guns down and start being nice

While I joke about being like this, I really don't understand the shotgun wielding "Git off my lawn!" approach to conflict resolution.

The funny thing is, the people who behave like this tend to stay in-game. I mean the truly obnoxious folks generally leave once they've blacklisted themselves with a large portion of the player-base, but the "knee jerk" reactionary described by RomaN seem to hang around. For a game where you need some form of personal interaction to get things done, this just seems to be a counter productive outlook.

Maybe a better solution would be to establish a formal progressive "How to Resolve a Conflict" process like RomaN mentioned, and leave the FCC as a "follow the golden rule" type guide. If you cannot resolve conflict yourself, then you reach out to /support. If you cannot follow the process, the first responders walk you through it (which I know a lot of the staff does now, even if no one realizes it)

As it is now, it just seems like a lot of folks jump any manner of real conflict resolution, either because they cannot find who they need to talk to, unwilling to compromise, or just assume the GM staff is here to do the dirty work for them. I'm not saying this is true in this case or all cases, just in general.

As a sandbox MMO, treat it like you do life, if you're one of those folks who calls the cops every time you see someone who "doesn't belong" in your neighborhood, eventually, you'll get treated the same way here, just like the boy who cried wolf.

• Like 1

I got KoS'd on multiple deeds for mining into a copper vein off deed on Cele. Someone then came down and started building walls round all four sides of the mine entrance. Cele people are totally utterly bonkers. Avoid at all costs.

• Like 1

Don't get me started with Celebration.

A friend of mine owns a deed on the south steppe of Celebration and we have been in dispute with a neighbour (The deed of Paradise Oasis) there who has completely deeded and fenced off land access to the southern half of the steppe. He wants people to actually ASK HIM for permission to pass through his deed.

He wasn't going to give us permission to pass and we thought it was utter crap that he blocked off land access and had the power to exclude people from passing through so we built a legal highway and tunneled through the mountain underneath our own deed to reopen land access for the rest of the server. During it's construction, he and some friends tried to tunnel into our project, disrupt and sabotage our work.

The fact that we have to deal with such idiots shows us what kind of crazy sheltered people Wurm really has hiding under the rocks.

I got KoS'd on multiple deeds for mining into a copper vein off deed on Cele. Someone then came down and started building walls round all four sides of the mine entrance. Cele people are totally utterly bonkers. Avoid at all costs.

Idk the full situation, but did you contact the person that make the mine if it didn´t mind to let you mine some copper there? Even if the mine is outside of a deed, it can and prolly be made for one person, and while the hard letter of the law says that mine is kind of free for all, it will be polite to ask before go an happylly make profit of someone work.

Salu2.

Idk the full situation, but did you contact the person that make the mine if it didn´t mind to let you mine some copper there? Even if the mine is outside of a deed, it can and prolly be made for one person, and while the hard letter of the law says that mine is kind of free for all, it will be polite to ask before go an happylly make profit of someone work.

Salu2.

Oh I opened the mine myself and the copper was 1 tile in.

FCC are NOT rules. GUIDELINES. As such they are unenforcable. There are already rules for griefing/harrassing. If you canned people for breaking FCC there would hardly be anyone left.

Don't get me started with Celebration.

A friend of mine owns a deed on the south steppe of Celebration and we have been in dispute with a neighbour (The deed of Paradise Oasis) there who has completely deeded and fenced off land access to the southern half of the steppe. He wants people to actually ASK HIM for permission to pass through his deed.

He wasn't going to give us permission to pass and we thought it was utter crap that he blocked off land access and had the power to exclude people from passing through so we built a legal highway and tunneled through the mountain underneath our own deed to reopen land access for the rest of the server. During it's construction, he and some friends tried to tunnel into our project, disrupt and sabotage our work.

The fact that we have to deal with such idiots shows us what kind of crazy sheltered people Wurm really has hiding under the rocks.

He actually deeded and fenced off the ENTIRE southern half of the steppe? Deed = the part of the settlement that says, village of, not perimiter of. Were you polite when you asked access? I've seem people start off in a hostile manner because they simply didn't like what someone else was doing and things always go downhill from there.

Some people have had very bad experiences with others screwing with thier settlements. Maybe this person has also had bad experiences. Everyone thinks that because they can do something means they should do it. Like cut down all the trees in someone's perimiter and leave it all to rot without bothering to ask if someone had plans. Or digging away the entire coast in a perimiter and hauling it off without asking, 'hey, do you have plans here?'. Fences usually prevent those types of things from happening.

In our alliance we are very picky about these things. It has prevented someone from coming in and doing exactly those things. But not before someone started digging away the coast and hauling it off without bothering to ask if they could dig in our perimiter. 'Hey, do you have plans here?'. Not now. We were going to expand the deed and build there but can't now you turd. But we got the fence up before someone came along and cut down every tree in sight. Outside of our fence and outside of our perimiter.

So before you condem someone for fencing something think about what may have happened to them in the past. They may only be preventing a repeat.

Just check the situation on the map:

Because of the mountains, there was only one land access from north to south.

So Paradise Oasis took advantage of the situation and used the old scheme to block the only passage and demand road toll (or just block it).

RomaN simply dug another passage to replace the blocked one.

I have pretty much the same situation at a smaller scale on the north coast of deli. I didn't build a fence tough, I build a highway.

PO_blockade.png

Edited by Keldun

Regarding Paradise Oasis blocking off access to the Southern half of the steppe on Celebration...

I don't think he wanted to charge a road toll, it seems as though he wanted to have the power to inconvenience people by denying them reasonable access to half the steppe which to me is wrong and shouldn't be allowed in this context.

When it comes to players like this, I personally am not interested in bargaining or coming to a compromise with them because I don't want to fake a smile every time I come online nor do I want see myself or any other player being put at a constant and permanent disadvantage because someone wanted to be a power monger.

We built the highway tunnel to open up access between the two halves of the steppe not just for us but for everyone who travels to the south steppe on Celebration.

Nobody should ever be bullied into submission or made to feel that they insignificant or have to acknowledge the pseudo-power or e-peen of someone else in order to be happy.

Some people may not agree with me on this and I respect that but this is what I choose to believe. I think that every player on the freedom cluster should be given a chance to enjoy the game peacefully and not be inhibited by someone else who clearly takes pleasure in elevating themselves above others and deluding themselves with visions of grandeur and self-entitlement.

That's my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Just wanted to mention that the Paradise Oasis deed is disbanded now, so if anyone is still 'trapped' by the fences just bash em down.

• Like 1

Just wanted to mention that the Paradise Oasis deed is disbanded now, so if anyone is still 'trapped' by the fences just bash em down.

Already did :D

There are too many weird and insecure people in Wurm. Even if you are following all the rules and FCC, there are idiots out there who will still find some stupid way to get hurt and take offence because of their own insecurity.

Here are some of the most insecure bizarre events I've ever been involved in:

- Many months ago on Independence, I found a pair of wild horses on the Eastern Plains. Nearby was a cart and a dead corpse of a player. I PMed the player asking if those were her horses and she gave me an earful, swearing at me and telling me not to steal it and then her mum (apparently) and her friend logged on a few minutes later and gave me another earful and called a GM on me who froze me in place temporarily and then released me. What did I do wrong? All I wanted to do was ask if those horses belonged to her.

- On Exodus a few months ago, I was grinding on a silver vein near the starter deed. While my main was grinding, I decided to run around on my alt and randomly saw planks for a group of new players. I gave them 60 planks for free and then one of them asked Local if I was a thief, concluded that I was based on the people in local not knowing who I am, threatened to kill me in real life and then called a GM on me (Oracle responded). I gave him planks for free, then he threatens to kill me in real life and calls the GM on me. What did I do wrong??!?!

- Recently on Celebration, I went afk next to the coast while waiting for my boat ride to arrive. A player then came by, questioned me as to why I was staring at his boat and then called me a useless player. What did I do wrong? All I was doing was afking next to a boat.

I don't need this crap! If anything, people need to stop with the whinging and whining and actually assess the situation they are in before they start crying, pulling out the griefing card, logging multiple /support and wasting everyone's time.

What the FCC/Rules need to include and outline very clearly to players is a grievance procedure for resolving disputes. It should be something like this.

1. Do you have a problem with another player? If yes, please continue.

2. Have you discussed it with the player? If yes, please continue.

3. Are you not satisfied with their response? If yes, please continue.

4. Are they breaking any rules according to Wurm Online Rules? If yes, please continue.

5. Log a /support and wait patiently for the GM to respond. If they can't respond to you in a timely manner, they will contact you another day or on the Forum

Im not sure if you are still playing much because i havent seen you lately but if you are then this is why you should go to a PvP server like chaos. None of that ever happens here and if someone bothers you can kill him which im sure you can. Its one of the reasons why i moved to chaos. I got fed up with not being able to do something about griefers or people like the ones you mentioned. You seem to have good fighting etc skills but for what? They are kind of useless on the other servers...

Edited by atazs

Simple. some people respect each other, help out, and garner wonderful sites. Others wreck them via skipping along the "guide lines" terms to satisfy their want to see someone set back.

However let us not point this out as it would be faulty to show anger at the buggery of theives and ne'erdowells.

All these words will fall on numb ears and caustic eyes. Some will rage and others will sigh.

As i have seen nothing but shunning the world outside large walls with everyone but you and yours on the KoS list will save you from enjoying the game we call wurm online.

So go now and build nothing, enjoy nothing. As this is the only way to make sure those vultures, theives, and lesser types never take anything.

I could so easily say more but i have bitten my tongue now. If only i could spit in the eyes of those who have gathered my ire.

Edited by Durmont
  • Like 1

I've always thought that the use of KOS or threats to use it are for bullies and xenophobes and that such threats/use of KOS should be mentioned under the FCC.

Early last year on Independence, I was threatened with KOS for trading on a public highway in front of someone's deed who I had never heard of before.

- She claimed that I was being rude for trading on a "competitor's" property (The competitor being herself)

I don't even know who she is or what she even sells.

- She tried to shoo us away from her local citing "I don't like people hanging around my deed without permission"

We're not inside her deed.... or even perimeter if that even matters.

- She also told me to "arrange another spot to do your business"

Not going to happen. We're not breaking any rules by trading well off-deed on a legal public highway next to the water. The customer also came by boat as he lives on an island and this area is the best meeting point.

- She tried to justify her requests by saying "I try to be accomodating to folks, and allow access, but so far none of your customers have even had the decency to ask if it's OK to use the facilities here."

It's the only time I've ever traded in front of this deed and this player who lives on an island is the only person I ever dealt with.

You might be interested to know that this player was initially a CA and I think she may have become a CM for a while. This goes to show that even people trusted and assigned to a position of responsibility and power can be bullies amongst the community.

Your greatest weapon and shield is your charisma and intelligence, not a KOS flip-switch.

• Like 1

I am against making any of the FCC rules as there are rules in place for most things already and off deed property is usable for what ever any one likes to do.

Edited by Protunia

Anyone else find it retarded the rules list the FCC as part of the rules but then the FCC says its not a rule its a guide line? o.O

Simple. some people respect each other, help out, and garner wonderful sites. Others wreck them via skipping along the "guide lines" terms to satisfy their want to see someone set back.

However let us not point this out as it would be faulty to show anger at the buggery of theives and ne'erdowells.

All these words will fall on numb ears and caustic eyes. Some will rage and others will sigh.

As i have seen nothing but shunning the world outside large walls with everyone but you and yours on the KoS list will save you from enjoying the game we call wurm online.

So go now and build nothing, enjoy nothing. As this is the only way to make sure those vultures, theives, and lesser types never take anything.

I could so easily say more but i have bitten my tongue now. If only i could spit in the eyes of those who have gathered my ire.

An intriguing response, to say the least. Some of the phrasing even seems like a quote. Enjoyed reading it just for that alone. Still, a bitten tongue can hurt less that the response of those in power who will use ill chosen words to plot your demise. Discretion is the better part of valor, or so the saying goes.

At any rate, KoS is a poor revenge type of mechanic that only belongs on a pvp server where others can abuse eachother to their hearts content with full game mechanic and game policy approval. On PvE servers simply install a mechanic that would repel others from stepping upon ones deed if they are seen as undesirables. Of course this would lessen Rolfs income from Spirit Templars from those who keep them purely as a means to harass others who offend them in one way or the other.

=Ayes=

Anyone else find it retarded the rules list the FCC as part of the rules but then the FCC says its not a rule its a guide line? o.O

Was.

Freedom Isles ( Excluding Chaos ) & GV Server Specific Rules

Freedom Code of Conduct

We strongly suggest all players read the Freedom Code of Conduct as it contains important information for Freedom and GV servers.

http://forum.wurmonl...ode-of-conduct/

Changed to.

Freedom Isles ( Excluding Chaos ) & GV Server Specific Rules

Freedom Code of Conduct

We strongly suggest all players read the Freedom Code of Conduct, while it isnt part of game rules it does contain important information for Freedom and GV servers.

http://forum.wurmonl...ode-of-conduct/

Hope that helps.