Sign in to follow this  
demondan

Death To Steppe

I understand this. I am saying that the GMs are not doing enough. A set of optional rules is not enough to prevent griefing. Something needs to be done that forces people to respect common resources.

Well that's kind of it. This is an economy game(Freedom servers anyways) Take hold of what resources you can to profit off of it.

Either its selling the most, OR driving the price up due to small limit being able to be exported around.

When playing a game that allows you to import and export real life money. Your going to get those that will do things you see unneeded due to you don't see the full picture and think its just hurting everyone and then turn to "It's greifing" when its really not.

I mean look at the Gas prices. They went WAY up just because the main exporter got greedy.

Economy games bring a lot of greed to it.

that has nothing to do with someone being stupid in the middle of the steppes. someone should go out there and make 3 walls with 1 tile in each one that way its a pain trying to get in/out not that that would matter as its there only to either A. upset the server or B. lazy meat farm. usually more A then B.

In my opinion this topic is pretty ignorant.

It mainly says:

1. deeds without anything are made to damage and disturb hunters or other destructive purposes

2. hunting is above everything else(at least in the steppes)

What about that:

1. Someone built the deed because he just hated to get killed by stuff when crossing the Steppes.

2. A newbie crossing the steppes also is happy when finding a templar to beat the troll off his ass.

I myself travelled a lot around and had to cross the steppes several times, not for hunting and im not a big fighter. I always were happy to find a templar to make a break, and i several times had monsters following me i never could defeat.

And you really don't know if that person made this deed to annoy hunters.

I look at the pictures posted in here and i think in first row those deeds made the area more secure for travelling people.

If you want to hunt you will find more places with mobs, wurm world is so big, why caring about those little deed places ?

I think this thread is only existing because the TO was so annoyed about the champ rats he missed.

My god, champ rats.

In my opinion this topic is pretty ignorant.

It mainly says:

1. deeds without anything are made to damage and disturb hunters or other destructive purposes

2. hunting is above everything else(at least in the steppes)

What about that:

1. Someone built the deed because he just hated to get killed by stuff when crossing the Steppes.

2. A newbie crossing the steppes also is happy when finding a templar to beat the troll off his ass.

I myself travelled a lot around and had to cross the steppes several times, not for hunting and im not a big fighter. I always were happy to find a templar to make a break, and i several times had monsters following me i never could defeat.

And you really don't know if that person made this deed to annoy hunters.

I look at the pictures posted in here and i think in first row those deeds made the area more secure for travelling people.

If you want to hunt you will find more places with mobs, wurm world is so big, why caring about those little deed places ?

I think this thread is only existing because the TO was so annoyed about the champ rats he missed.

My god, champ rats.

You have summed up the situation pretty well here. It is just the *usual suspects* thinking that they own all the aggro's on the server and can not comprehend that the 90% of the Wurm population that has lower FS than themselves would find any benifit in having a STemplars protection when traveling through these aggro assaulted plains.

=Ayes=

Every time a new server opens up this particular thread pops up over and over and over. If you ask me these threads are griefing and they need to be locked as soon as they appear. I would wager that the majority of players are NOT hunters and don't give a champ rat's azz about these deeds. If you spent as much time playing as you do whining about being able to kill something that doesn't really exist you would probably have maxed out your fight skill.

Perhaps the real problem for the OP is that he has to actually hunt for kills instead of horizon to horizon targets. It's too hard to have to spend time to actually hunt. Maybe an easy button could be provided. That was the problem on in the Exodus desert too. The deeds made the hunters have to actually hunt. Some of them actually admitted this.

Edited by Sarcaticous
  • Like 2

So, still the usual paranoia.

Seriously though, i have seldom come across a community which gets upset so easily about nothing and constantly cries for rules and regulations...in a sandbox game. Maybe stop feeding the trolls/griefers here on the forum would be a first step.

Agreed, solves the issue nicely, and templars can easily have mobs lured to them if you have low fs. This and bridges are two things I'd prefer to have before animations/multi story buildings.

Edited by TineenAlexi

For the people throwing the argument of "They need the protection" just look at the most obvious; the deed name and deedholder. "deathtothesteppe" and "steppedestruction" sounds rather like sole griefing tools than protective measures to me. While I agree with people have a right to deed where they want and a right to hire templars, situations like this shows the flaws in the system, where a perfectly fine mechanism was changed and now people are abusing deeds with templars as a legal griefing tool.

• Like 1

What needs to happen is the staff to get a common sense and get rid of things that everyone can see are griefing deeds

• Like 1

Just make deeding steppe areas against the rules, would solve a lot.

• Like 1

Just make deeding steppe areas against the rules, would solve a lot.

This idea could be a good one if modified into a *Rolf created hunting preserve* where no deeds could be placed. A no deed on steppe setup would be a *bad idea* since anyone can plant steppe most anywhere and thus create *no deed* areas.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

No need for any rules, there just needs someone with power to apply some common sense on a case by case basis.

This player and these deeds (yes he has several of those on every server) are pretty suspicious. They need to at least investigate and speak with him.

An even if it's intended to grief the "hunters"/slayers it does a perfectly nice service to all other players.

I made the exact opposite btw, a 51x51 deed wuth only about 1/4 village and the rest woods, I got plenty of agro to kill.

Edited by Keldun
  • Like 1

Rules that prevent deeding is contradictory to the fact that Wurm is a sandbox game. If it is someone's goal to destroy a steppe, cut down all the trees in an area, hollow out a mountain, etc. it's perfectly acceptable in my opinion as it falls within the parameters of a sandbox game. No rules were broken and there are still plenty of animals to hunt. Sad for some but it's the simple truth.

• Like 2

This idea could be a good one if modified into a *Rolf created hunting preserve* where no deeds could be placed. A no deed on steppe setup would be a *bad idea* since anyone can plant steppe most anywhere and thus create *no deed* areas.

=Ayes=

The protected tiles would be decided not based on what is on them but where they are located.

Just incase anyone missed this info as it hasn't been explained in the OP. The Steppe that myself and DD live near on Cele has 2-3 deeds with no development done to them with templars activated. With deeds name like "Kill the Steppe" and owner account names like "DestroytheSteppe" seems to suggest to me that these deeds appear to be purely there to cause some kind of hassle to other players on the server.

Personally I've made my peace with deeds killing animals on steppe areas, it's currently "Within" the rules and as such I'm not gunna cry foul however I would like to see some sort of animal pathing code change that would stop aggros walking onto a deed unless chaseing a player. This would pretty much completely solve the problem and leave all parties happy.

EDIT: the name of this thread is actually the name of one such deed on the Steppe. "Death to Steppe" for reference.

Edited by Emoo

I would like to see some sort of animal pathing code change that would stop aggros walking onto a deed unless chaseing a player.

This would create some funny situations, imagine two long neighboring deeds - animals would crowd in 10-tile corridor, with apparently invisible wall preventing them from stepping left or right.

I would like to see some sort of animal pathing code change that would stop aggros walking onto a deed unless chaseing a player. This would pretty much completely solve the problem and leave all parties happy.

Yeah, that would work.

If someone really wanted to destroy the steppe they would be planting trees and grass. They just know what buttons to push.

Can't believe this is all over steppe. Steppe is EASY to replace, just start gathering mixed grass and start planting. I've created an entire steppe area that did not exist before, so if you don't like someone's deed on the steppe, create a new steppe! And although it is much harder, you can replace tundra too. Instead of all this whining about the loss, get your nature skills up and work on fixing things. As to the loss of animals from the templars killing, they get replaced very fast, so that loss is imaginary, get out and hunt.

Edited by Vroomfondel
  • Like 4

Huh, how can you replace tundra? Afaik it does not spread and there is no way to plant it.

Its a spell called Ice Pillar; if cast on grass is capable of turning the tile to tundra, but its difficult.

Think it works better if cast on an enchanted tree (at least according to the wiki)

Actually I have tried it and it works to create tundra if you just cast it on a grass tile. Not sure if casting it on an enchanted tree would have any effect. I mean, nothing else affects enchanted trees, if this did, there would be a market for casting ice pillar on enchanted trees to get rid of them. I have made a small tundra area near my place, about 3x5 so far. But it has taken about 4 months to get that much. It is NOT easy, but it can be done.