Sign in to follow this  
Hiro

Launcher Closes For Unknown Reason (Mac)

I started playing Wurm on my Macbook Pro recently (or shall I say, have attempted to). I installed the client and it launcher fine the first time, but now every time I try to play the launcher auto-quits after I click "Play". This occurs regardless of the window size selected. To make things even stranger, I am able to play Wurm perfectly fine on the bootcamped WIndows 7 Partition.

Anyone?

Additional Info:

OS X Lion version: 10.7.5

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Its been a week since I first posted this, bumping...

Edited by Hiro

Doesn't seem mac-related, happens to a lot of people in my village including myself.

Try swithing to software sound or no sound at all.

Seems like I have the same issue. The client boots up, I get the downloads, then when I hit play, it loads the little mini title, then disappears and nothing opens.... Also on a mac. Running a brand new 2012 13" Macbook pro with the 2.9ghz processor (not the silly non upgradeable retina one).

Gonna try on the boot camp next but I'd rather use my OS X 10.8.2

I can confirm that the latest Apple Java update to Java 6, which disabled the use of web applets in Java 6, has forced the installation of Java 7 to use web applets including running Wurm. Unfortunately I am also having the same issues with Java 7 on mac - Wurm just shuts down after hitting play, with no clues in the console.log file that is generated. This is definitely an issue with Java 7, since I had tested Java 7 a couple of weeks ago to try to fix a graphical issue and hit the same problem then. Reverting to Java 6 (when web applets were allowed to run) had allowed Wurm to load and run. Evidently Apple is no longer prepared to support Java 6 and is directing everyone towards Java 7, which puts us in a bit of a bind since Wurm doesn't run.

Any ideas?

In the case of Oracle Java 7 for Mac a feature was removed that means a software library used by the client no longer works (specifically LWJGL). I think there are a number of people working externally from Wurm attempting to fixing this issue. However in the mean time sadly if this is your issue the Game Client won't work.

Refer to this thread on the LWJGL forum for more details: http://lwjgl.org/for...pic,4711.0.html

EDIT: you may be able to revert to the Applet Java 6, not got a mac though so not really sure. Check the apple website maybe.

Great. Why Apple forced this on us I don't know. I was perfectly happy playing Wurm through Apple's Java 6, and despite my best efforts I can't seem to roll back to my backups. I would really need a full list of changed files in order to roll back properly, I get snagged on the setting to enable applets.

That thread you linked to has some potential updates for LWJGL, by the looks, I wonder if those work.

EDIT: I have no idea where to put the files that were linked to on page 3 of http://lwjgl.org/forum/index.php/topic,4711.0.html

If anyone who is more in the know can suggest locations I can test out whether it works.

Edited by Andobi

I had success calling on OSX 10.8.2 by calling the Java6 version of javaws directly from the terminal like this. Assuming you've downloaded the wurmclient.jnlp to your disk.

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Commands/javaws wurmclient.jnlp

• Like 3

Try this:

/>http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559

And before that I disabled java looking for updates!

My Wurm works now on my iMac as well ;)

• Like 1

Thanks to both Hellwyn and Legionaire for your responses, that is exactly the info I was looking for. I've succeeded in running wurm by calling the command line as Hellwyn suggests, allowing me to keep the new java7 in place, but the support page Legionaire linked to could be useful too.

Think Java 7 is causing the problem. This happens to me as well, right after they updated the client and all. D:

I hope the link 2 posts above works. I've literally tried everything! Also, when I revert bac to java 6, it says unable to launch application. Anyone know how to uninstall java completely and reinstalling java 6 on Macbook Pros?

Edited by Iskl

Hellwyn's solution is still working fine, no need to mess with what java versions are installed

Cudoes for Hellyn's solution, and a bump.

I did modify the command a bit, for anyone not mac savey so that it will look in the downloads folder, as follows :

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Commands/javaws downloads/wurmclient.jnlp

• Like 1

Thanks, this has fixed it.

Edited by Arregar

Hi guys, I've tried using the

"/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Commands/javaws downloads/wurmclient.jnlp"

Code and it gives me an error that says "Java Web Start Error:

#### The following required field is missing from the launch file: <jnlp>"

I'm not amazing with the terminal, the only terminal experience I've had is some basic stuff on a ubuntu terminal.

I have OSX Lion 10.7.5

If you could help that would be great and I'd be happy to provide more info.

Never mind guys, I fixed it.

Edited by FuzzWig

For those of you using the command-line workaround for Java 6 on OSX, you may have noticed that it stopped working today. Here's why:

/>http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/31/apple-once-again-blocks-java-7-web-plug-in/

One of the comments has the workaround which is not particularly simple. Repasting it here, it involves using PlistBuddy as root to set an XProtect parameter back to its previous version. I used PlistBuddy in interactive mode to print the plist before/after, changed it back to 434 from 435 and now it works. I'm on OSX 10.8. Be careful out there, not taking blame for fat fingers. Also don't forget to read why Apple blocked it in the first place.

--- START PASTE ---

To re-enable Apple Java 1.6:

sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Delete :JavaWebComponentVersionMinimum" /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta.plist

or

sudo defaults write /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta.plist JavaWebComponentVersionMinimum \"1.6.0_37-b06-434\"

The command /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Commands/javaws downloads/wurmclient.jnlp used to work fine on my computer but now it seems not to recognize that Java is even installed. When trying to load the program using the above command, it now says "Java Web Start splash screen process exiting...Can not find message file: No such file or directory" even though the wurmclient.jlnp file is in the Downloads folder. Also, when trying to load using the Wurm Online shortcut this says "To open "Wurm Online," you need to download the Java Runtime Environment for Web Start applications"

I have tried updating to the latest version of Java, deleting and reinstalling the Wurm client on my computer, and none of these have worked. I am using Mountain Lion version 10.8.2.

Edit:

"sudo defaults write /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta.plist JavaWebComponentVersionMinimum \"1.6.0_37-b06-434\ has solved the problem

Edited by Carrotz

Hi,

Im brand new to mac and im having huge issues getting the client to run, i only got my macbook pro yesterday, i have tried all the terminal commands that have been suggested and its done nothing for me, can anyone help solve my issue? The client wont even start, crashes as soon as i press play, i have all the settings on the lowest.

The game works fine on my Windows PC at home, but my mac which i got for when im away its just not loading on at all :(