Sign in to follow this  
BjornYngvar

Clothes Over Armor In Wurm 1.0

I think it'd be great if, when Wurm 1 releases with visible armor, we could be allowed to equip cloth clothing over actual armor for looks, as they did in the middle ages.

Often, soldiers and warriors in the middle ages would wear tabards, jerkins, vests, and/or other garments on top of their chain-mail or banded armor. I think this would be a good mechanic in wurm for 2 reasons

1) In PvP it could be used to hide what armor you're using from the enemy

2) It would allow for more customisation, as players could always have armor on to be ready for an attack from players/mobs, but still be able to customise their looks with dyed/tailored clothing.

For PvP it's a bad idea for exactly reason 1. If wearing clothing removes the ability to see what armor you're using then everyone will do it at which point it would have been simpler to just not have visible armor.

Reality is a nice place to live but I wouldn't want to play there.

Edit: I'd be down with tabards or some such with player made emblems that players could use to self identify with an alliance, PMK or village. It shouldn't cover the armor so it's impossible to tell armor type.

Edited by belthize
  • Like 1

For PvP it's a bad idea for exactly reason 1. If wearing clothing armor removes the ability to see what armor you're using then everyone will do it at which point it would have been simpler to just not have visible armor.

Okay, how about if some parts of the armor are still visible? This way you cant really see the difference between a group of enemies, but up close it's easy. Besides that, most pvpers wear chain anyway, and making cloth armor more usseful is always nice.

And more importantly, what if you could display your factions/deeds emblem on the cloth?

as long as it's unenchantable, unlike morrowwind.

morrowind was so OP. enchant ALL the slots.

For PvP it's a bad idea for exactly reason 1. If wearing clothing removes the ability to see what armor you're using then everyone will do it at which point it would have been simpler to just not have visible armor.

Edit: I'd be down with tabards or some such with player made emblems that players could use to self identify with an alliance, PMK or village. It shouldn't cover the armor so it's impossible to tell armor type.

As it stands you still can't tell what armor the enemy is wearing unless you look at their body while fighting them. Though I agree that there should (and would obviously) be visible pieces of armor, like the helmet under a hood or the bracers on the ankles and arms, etc.

Okay, how about if some parts of the armor are still visible? This way you cant really see the difference between a group of enemies, but up close it's easy. Besides that, most pvpers wear chain anyway, and making cloth armor more usseful is always nice.

And more importantly, what if you could display your factions/deeds emblem on the cloth?

That's what the tabard would be for. I'd love to have a tabard in game.

as long as it's unenchantable, unlike morrowwind.

morrowind was so OP. enchant ALL the slots.

Of course. This would turn cloth armor from useless into not armor. It'd just be clothing.

It doesnt have to cover all of the armor. Tabards for example generally do not have sleeves.

Edited by Klaa

IMO if you want to wear cloth you can but don't make them different armor types allowing the ability to wear both. i don't see any reason for Rolf to spend time adding this. Its unnecessary especially with all the WAY more important updates coming soon and the ones in the future.

unnecessary suggestion

Do you know where we are?

Edited by san_tropez
  • Like 1

art devs, read this and make it happen <3 :) :) :)

This would turn cloth armor from useless into not armor. It'd just be clothing.

Cloth is far away from being useless, you just need to widen your blinkered pvp view.

And that's why I'm against the idea to reduce cloth to a pure ornamental function.

Edited by picommander
  • Like 1

Heres a silly and crazy idea: instead of adding things, why not fix the current bugs/problems?