Sign in to follow this  
Iulianx

Redo The Nutrition System

I am reviving an old idea of mine about a new nutrition system that will make make the background of the Nutrition more complex without affecting the new players trying to survive.

The Nutrition will be composed of 5 parts: The food bar, Proteins, Carbohydrates, Fats and an efficiency modifier(vitamins?).

The new system will revolve around providing your body with all the necessary nutritive substances from different food types.

The food bar will limit your ability to eat, thus gain nutrition.

Proteins will give regeneration bonuses and skillgain in body characteristics

Carbohydrates will affect stamina and endurance

Fats will affect your skillgain (except for combat skills)

And the efficiency modifier will determine the efficiency of these bonuses.

The 3 main factors (PCF) will make up a 100% bar and each nutritive factor can take up to 50%. so you can focus on certain bonuses while neglecting the others. The efficiency modifier will give temporary boosts to the skills and can be increased by a lot of factors like (eating fruits/drinking juice/ eating, salt, high Ql food and more)

Each food item will give a certain nutritive substance for example: meat will give proteins, potatoes will give carbohydrates. Cooking food will increase the food's nutritive value and allow you to combine effects.

* Having a high fat level gives you fat layers.

Edit: Some people do not understand what the new system will change and how it will affect their gameplay experience.

What will this new system change:

1. Eating raw food like berries and uncooked meat will fill your hunger bar and allow you to carry on your activities but the nutrition will suffer in the long run. Eating a berry once dose not mean you will suddenly lose all your nutrition. Nutrition is additive so you do not lose nutrition because of what you eat, you lose it over time.

2. When making a meal the ingredients you make it our of and their ratio will actually matter instead of puting half a potato and 100kg of meat to make supreme meal.

3. More obscure cooking ingredients like cheese and bread will gain an use and will be worth the time it takes to make them.

4. Experienced cooks will be able to actually create recipes and enjoy making new ones with the incredible amount of ingredients available ingame instead of just spamming the same recipe over and over again.

Edited by Iulianx
  • Like 1

I honestly think this is WAY too complicated. We have bigger things to worry about in Wurm than "Am I getting enough carbohydrates? Oh no, I've eaten too much fat now everything is all ruined".

• Like 2

I actually like this very very much, though I think it has a snowball's chance in HOTS of getting implemented.

It would certainly make having a skilled and thoughtful chef (and not just someone who mass grinded HFC over the weekend) a focal point of any village. Which I think is a very good thing.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

The current system is worse than the previous. You might as well remove hunger and thirst, the only people really affected are new players. Currently I don't see the system having any point, its an old resemblance of the idea that wurm had to be a survival game.

Having high nutrition allows you to eat less, high Ql allows you to eat less, Food items have no quantitative value, a potato and a filet of meat can keep someone going for weeks because he has a 98 skilled cook. Wouldn't it be ideal if we didn't have to eat?

Hfc feeds you what more is it supposed to do,,, -1

Edited by Suntzu

I'm sorry but this is waaaay too much like a dieticians wet dream game. I don't want to worry about the same crap that people try to force on me in rl about how I should or shouldn't eat. "You ate a potato chip. You died."

My suggestion is purely based on making cooking an eating more diverse and interesting, for a sandbox game more options and things to play with are always welcome. Currently Hot food cooking is a tedious grind like most skills in the game. We have a lot of ingredients to make food from but the only thing worth making is a nutritious goo we call meal. You never eat cooked meat, apples, bread, drink lemon juice and other stuff. Food in wurm offers absolutely 0 diversity.

"You ate a potato chip. You died."

win quote!

Edited by Iulianx

My problem with this... is that it doesn't sound like "more options" to me, it sounds like "more work just to play the game".

It might seem that way because I kept the idea short, it of course makes you have to think a bit when cooking and need more than meat and potatoes to cook.But the results should be that more ingredients will be used when cooking, meals won't be the only thing viable to eat, you can chose a bonus by eating certain foods.

A briefly exposed concept has a lot of flaws, note the intention of the suggestion, not the result it might bring and try to correct the flaws. I and can make a 3 pages essay with examples and schematics for the idea to cover everything someone might ask or thinks would go wrong but no one would read that. and explaining something in detail seems to make people think the idea is mega-complicated.

Its like explaining someone how a computer works and him refusing to use it because its sounds complicated when he just needs to press a few keys.

A tragic thing too, because only sketchy ideas get enough attention and Rolf implements them as he sees fit, ussualy introducing bugs and defeating the concept/intention of the original idea/creating imbalances that he then never bothers to fix.

tl;tr: Explaining something in detail makes it sound complicated and hard when it really isn't. Its like someone explaining someone how a computer works and he refuses to use it because it sounds too hard when actually he have to press a few buttons.

Edited by Iulianx

Well a pseudo medieval setting like Wurm would cause players to burn calories like crazy. Literally living by blood, sweat, and tears. 1800's lumber camps would serve meals in the 5000-4000 calorie range daily. By comparison someone needing a 1500-2000 calorie daily intake (Assuming a 25yr old male with a fairly sedate modern lifestyle, and a whole host of other assumptions :wacko: ).

At first glance the OP does seem complex and a bit towards having to micromanage one's intake. However, it really depends on how the prepared food items are balanced (not necessarily RL wise). A very basic meal would hit all the nutritional requirements as mentioned.

If your going to ge this complicated some forms of food provide water in them Grapes etc and thus make as much water unneeded.. Eat lots of grapes have lower nutrition but have the food last longer.. It then can get silly from there

-1 too complicated.

I like the idea of having options but will not accept a system that imposes more work. I highly doubt the devs would thoroughly test and balance such a system. No, they(he) would quickly published a untested and half finished system, wait for players to complain about major bugs, fix those, and then move onto the next thing.

@joedobo, pealse explain the extra work involved in cooking that derives from my suggestion.

@puncher Read my Idea again, I am suggesting a mere concept/system not concrete implementation. Will you be happy if i made a 3 page log of all the details?

@I have reads the other thread and my Idea is not an addition to Alyeska's suggestion thus it deserves its own thread. Seriously are you even reading my posts? I know i have trouble in expressing ideas but i doubt what i wrote can be so seriously misunderstood.

Hot food cooking is a pretty in-depth skill as it is now. There are many, many, many recipes and subskills involved.

While true the system is broken and the game can not benefit from it as it is.

@joedobo, pealse explain the extra work involved in cooking that derives from my suggestion.

Some foods do certain things and if you eat too much of one food some penalties are applied. So how do I easily figure out what food I should be eating? Right now it takes no time to figure out.

What if the material needed isn't something I have. Again, under the current system it doesn't matter what mat is used.

Also, Rolf has never documented changes to the game, and he has just as bad a record at following systems explained by players on the forum. The most likely outcome is he would take the general concept behind his idea, tweak it as he see fit, and release it with no testing or explanation on how it should work (no instruction manuals). I predict the potential complication involving balancing all the effects will backfire somehow. This will end up making more work for player who are trying to figure out how it all works, decipher whichever is a bug , and whining about things that we don't like.

This suggestion might be acceptable if the game informed me of all facts regarding my toon's nutrition. Also, it would have a tool to inform me how nutrition would change as a result of eating different meals. Put another way, I'd want current status information and a "what if" tool.

So the extra work involves stumbling around trying to figure things out. Also, there is potential for more work relating to acquiring a varied supply of food mats since eating pumpkins and meat fillet month after month probably won't be optimal.

I know i have trouble in expressing ideas but i doubt what i wrote can be so seriously misunderstood.

You keep saying this is only a concept, but expect everyone to see your grand vision. As a concept, people are adding to it to help better define it how they would like to see a concept like this added (or not added in some cases).

As a system/suggestion as presented, there is a lot of detail that would need to be defined, which leads back to my previous comment. We're not all knowing, and cannot read your mind, first please decide if this is to present a concept, if you are asking for input, or if this is a suggestion, and you are asking for support.

As concept, it is interesting, as a system (add presented) I'd say no. As others pointed out, it adds a lot of overhead for little in the way of game enjoyment.

Edited by Hussars

What Rolf makes of the idea is not an argument against, because it can be said about any suggestion.

So the extra work involves stumbling around trying to figure things out. Also, there is potential for more work relating to acquiring a varied supply of food mats since eating pumpkins and meat fillet month after month probably won't be optimal.

Doh that's the core idea, not eating the same thing over and over and over and over again, Its truthfully hard work to also plant some potatoes or trade for a few other ingredients. Are you a cook or you have a village cook? So you consider utilizing your neurons to figure out a recipe unnecessary hard work? what you pointed about the current systems proves that is sucks and dose not add any content to the game but a nuisance you must attend.

@I have reads the other thread and my Idea is not an addition to Alyeska's suggestion thus it deserves its own thread. Seriously are you even reading my posts? I know i have trouble in expressing ideas but i doubt what i wrote can be so seriously misunderstood.

No, you are wrong. It is a change to HFC as it now stands and it covers the exact same subject. Where your idea is different and infinately worse is in it's extreme complexity.

Instead of players having to worry about all these fats, carbs, etc., why not have a system comparable to healing covers? Different foods have different potency. Then you could combine that with Alyeska's ideas and you have a decent HFC system combines variety and usefullness.

Hmmm...who suggested this already? Seems I read it someplace.

Edited by Sarcaticous

The current system is worse than the previous. You might as well remove hunger and thirst, the only people really affected are new players. Currently I don't see the system having any point, its an old resemblance of the idea that wurm had to be a survival game

To me wurm is a sandbox game with some added chores your forced to do, eating is one of them. It adds nothing to my game since i just like to build.

The problem here will be balancing things like this so that it does not become a yet another chore, my opinion is what we have is good enough.

So you consider utilizing your neurons to figure out a recipe unnecessary hard work? what you pointed about the current systems proves that is sucks and dose not add any content to the game but a nuisance you must attend.

What I pointed out is that your suggestion would result in more work for some players. Its obvious that you would welcome that challenge. I hope you can understand I want difficulty to remain the same or get easier.

After some thought, I release that my "current status" and "what if" tool are just mechanics that simplify the system. Thus, why spend lots of effort creating a complex system and then more effort to undue that complexity with another game mechanic. Why not just keep it simple to begin with? And, hey, that's how it is now.

I like the idea, I just don't like the risk of cooking turning into a game of nutrition micromanagement. I agree on nutrition not working well at the moment (eat fresh food, nutrition goes down - what??), and I would support something like this as long as it doesn't become too penalizing to stray away from the "recommended intakes".