Aldur

Wurm Assistant - Enrich Your Wurm Experience

Hey Aldur!

Before I start going nuts with Python, have you thought about trying to make WurmAssist work well on Mono? I know it's a .NET app (I think) and it would be great for some Linux portability.

Hi Keenan. I have mono-compatible version under way.

You can also try coding mono app using preview of WurmApi, it does work with mono (regardless if compiled with visual studio and mono compiler), though I'm sure there will be bugs in there and interface might still slightly change. 

More on both topics is here:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/68031-wurm-assistant-enrich-your-wurm-experience/page-82#entry1321543

Good news!

WA 3 and WA Lite are all set. They don't yet have any features (merging starts now, one by one), but they have WurmApi and few other guts plugged in. Lite-version worked on Linux virtual machine.

I would like to invite a few noble wurmians to join alpha-testing! 

Especially for Linux and Mac. I have very limited options, when it comes to cross-platform testing.

General feedback would also be very welcome.

• Like 3

I will gladly volunteer myself to alpha test this on Linux, I run Arch, Ubuntu and Mint in my house, if need be I can fire up a FC box as well. At the moment Ubuntu and Arch are the machines in circulation (mine and the kids) so I can test on those flavors. 

~Phreek

• Like 1

Thanks phreekbird for the offer. Sorry for the slight delay, but I've been fixing many bugs, that I've found on my Ubuntu vm. It's all done and I have sent you an email with alpha testing details.

I would especially welcome another .net developer, who could focus on improving WA Lite on platforms other than Windows. I know it's a long-shot, but if anyone knows someone....... ;)

Aldur, my son tells me that WA might be able to be loaded via PlayOnLinux, which runs game programs within Linux/Ubuntu.

He says PlayOnLinux is easy to configure for Data Library (DLL) and Wine versions.

He says if you can send us the list of data libraries on private forum msg, he would then be able to install / configure it for me.

[Hope this makes more sense to you than it does to me! :P]

Hmm, can't get Granger to work and I keep getting 130 error codes. All related to not being able to "read" my Wurm files. Path is correct and I have net .4. Running win 7 home.

Hey Baloo, every DLL / EXE that WA 2 needs, is in Launcher directory. Not sure if WA2 launcher works on linux, so here are the options:

CLcuW8T.png

1. If making a PlayOnLinux from launcher, use everything from this dir except the pointed directory (or directories, if there are more)

2. If making just a specific WA 2 package, use everything from inside highlighted dir (if there are many dirs, use the highest version)

3. Wait for WA Lite :)

--------------

Talohan, I need more info (the reason why it can't read them). Easiest way, send me the whole WA log file. Many read-access errors are caused by WA not being run with proper privileges (for example "run as administrator").

js7h1YU.png

Hey Aldur!

If you need any testers, I am willing to do so! I am running on Linux Mint. I am not a dev or anything code-smart, but I am a rather smart user, at least, I think  :)

About the playonlinux thing... I am not sure if that will work since playonlinux kind of makes a "virtual machine of windows" specifically for that program, and hence the wurm directory is not on the same virtual machine. It might be possible with linking networks or sharing folders and all that but that would make it all way too complicated, especially seeing it is no full virtual machine, but rather just a small part so playonlinux has the bare minimum to emulate windows. I think playonlinux therefore is not really an option when it needs to read other systems as well =-)

Edited by Viti

Yeah probably not. :) I'm pretty sure WINE is the best option for Linux until WA Lite (and probably even then!).

After some experiments I have decided, that there is no reason to have separate apps for Windows and other OS's. I am merging WA Lite into WA 3 and it will simply work on all platforms.

• Like 3

So WA 3 will run natively on .. Linux? Or the Wine way is to follow?

It's not going to be native app, but I'm going to aim for it to run with just latest Mono. That said it will probably work even better under Wine.

• Like 1

I was wondering if you could add an option to allow the "test" logs to be scanned as well.

Good point, I should add support for test-server logs. It's a bit more work than just adding them to the list, though.

• Like 1

Awesome. I would appreciate that. I dabble on the test server from time to time, and it would be neat to have the timers + granger on it.

As always, wonderful work on this!  I know all of us appreciate your time and effort :)

I have just recently acquired enough horses to really start making use of Granger in more than a casual manner.

Couple questions though... which files do I need to copy to move my heard to another computer?

Also, I have noticed that when I try to breed two horses and one of them 'is not in the mood', Granger doesn't pick that up.  It does label it after successful breeding though...

Is this something I have set wrong?

Does the backpack tool extract all of the 10 toolbelt setups if they are setup in game? And then can I simply copy that setup txt file to different machines if I play on different computers?

As always, wonderful work on this!  I know all of us appreciate your time and effort :)

I have just recently acquired enough horses to really start making use of Granger in more than a casual manner.

Couple questions though... which files do I need to copy to move my heard to another computer?

Also, I have noticed that when I try to breed two horses and one of them 'is not in the mood', Granger doesn't pick that up.  It does label it after successful breeding though...

Is this something I have set wrong?

Use import / export options. As for not in mood, Granger doesn't know for how long that state will continue, so it doesn't set it. Might be a good idea to have an option for that, though, adding to roadmap.

Does the backpack tool extract all of the 10 toolbelt setups if they are setup in game? And then can I simply copy that setup txt file to different machines if I play on different computers?

Nope, that tool was used in before Wurm added toolbelt presets. You should probably just copy [wurm]\players\Player\playerdata.txt, it seems to store the toolbelt presets.

Hi folks.

There have been some major changes with my plans for WA3. These are 2 main reasons for these changes:

1. The response to x-platform WA3 was much less than I expected. Just a few linux users volunteered for testing the linux builds, have not had a single Mac user step forward and obviously no programmers.
  2. Soon, I will once again have limited free time and will not be able to work on WA3 beyond just maintenance.

What does that mean for WA?

1. There will be no parallel stable releases for each platform. With the time available I can only realistically work with Windows in mind. While I won't do things, that outright can't work cross-platform, there will likely be plenty of bugs and the fixes will be of lower priority.
  2. There won't be a new, cross-platform launcher. Only windows stable version will have a launcher, similar to the one for WA2. The remaining builds will only be available as zip's on a file share, labeled as "beta".
  3. Not all things on the roadmap will happen, though I will try to do as much as possible. Afterwards, my role on this project will be purely maintenance and bugfixing. That is not likely to change for the foreseeable future. On the plus side, this will be a good moment to get linux and mac builds finally stable. ;)

Why am I stopping work on WA?

As many of you have obviously noticed, WA3 is already over 2 years overdue. This is because I was constantly torn between 3 vastly different areas of programming: my enterprise-grade day job, Unity gamedeving and finally, this project. Work on WA has further suffered, because in the past, I've had to pull 10-12 hour days at the job for months at a time.

Now my current company decided to move away from pure .NET systems and I'm soon facing either a hunt for new job, or a forced platform switch (implying a massive amount of study). Either option will eat my time and energy for at least half a year, especially because my current city is small and doesn't offer much in terms of programming jobs, I will most likely have to move.

I'm sorry for falling short on some of my promises, I wish things could have been different, but this is simply out of my hands and a surprise for myself as well.

Edited by Aldur
  • Like 1

Still better than most kickstarter devs! I think what you're doing is great and what ever comes out will be as well.

• Like 1

Wurm Assistant 3 Beta is starting today!

I have managed to make it all as simple as possible. All the details, platform how-to's etc. are here:

http://aldurslab.net/wurm-assistant-3-beta/

In a nutshell, there is just a single launcher program. It can be run in 5 configurations, simply by passing in a console argument (for windows there are shortcut .bat files). Launcher will download and install latest build of a configuration (I call these channels).

Right now there is only Dev channel. Beta will be released, once I've got all features imported (only LogSearcher for now).

Windows owners can install launcher via ClickOnce, this has an added benefit, that any hotfixes to the launcher will download automatically. The downside, is that it can only download stable-windows channel, so it's a bit useless right now. :)

Standalone launcher can be used on any platform and downloads any channel.

Use standalone for beta.

All links are in the above mentioned page on my blog.

FAQ:

Q: I'm using WA 2, will this mess with it in any way?

A: No, WA 3 is completely separate from WA 2.

Q: Can I import my WA 2 settings?

A: Not yet. Eventually WA 2 will be updated with 'export' options and WA 3 with 'import from WA2' options, so all of your triggers, timers and herds will be preserved.

Q: Will my WA 2 and WA 3 settings be in sync?

A: As mentioned earlier, WA 2 and WA 3 are completely separate. The only way to share settings will be through import-export and it will only be one way: WA 2 to WA 3

Edited by Aldur

I went to try it out but getting this:

30/09/2015 13:38:00 > Local version is: None
30/09/2015 13:38:00 > Obtaining latest version for build stable-win
30/09/2015 13:38:01 > Latest version for build stable-win is:
30/09/2015 13:38:01 > No build found for build code: stable-win
30/09/2015 13:38:02 > Error while attempting to start Wurm Assistant: The system cannot find the file specified

edit: nvm I'm dumb...running the Dev install now

another edit: hmmm...seems to be installing a build, but then doesn't start - I'm at work though so I'll take a better look at it when I get home.

Edited by Heboric

Thanks! Let me know your findings. Your work pc may have security policies that could block one unknown exe from starting another.

Was this Windows machine?

Edited by Aldur