Aldur

Wurm Assistant - Enrich Your Wurm Experience

Pardon the WoT.

Well, here's the thing my good man.  Your little chunk of code has been going strong for over 9 years now.  And I know out playing mobile vet, I've recommended it to at least a dozen people who weren't using it.  The wonderful little thing about the code I wrote is that it'll work on any website running WordPress. You upload it, activate it and add this to any WordPress page [WurmHorseFormatter] and it handles the rest.  And I'd be happy to give it the same GNU or MIT license you gave WA. I currently run around half a dozen WordPress sites. But, most of them are test sites for plugins I write and they've gotten wiped at least once or twice in the past few years (sometimes I need to test with a fresh install of WordPress).  For now, it mostly suits my needs as just a place to paste my xml and get the formatted list and didn't give much thot to a 'permanent' home when I created it.

So here's my suggestions/proposal to you:

Perhaps it's time to give WA it's own permanent home? You can get WordPress shared hosting (all it would need) for $5.00 a month and a .com domain name for $11 a year. So that's $71 a year.  Set up a Patreon account to take donations.  If your users can't afford to chip in $5.00 a year to help maintain the site then they need to get a better job (you know they pay more than that to play Wurm). You get the domain in your name and I'd be willing to help you get a WordPress site set up and donate some time to help administer it and flesh out the plugin and help you get Granger to link to the plugin any way you wish.

The other option. I'm a hack at C# at best otherwise I would have made a plugin for WA. If you're like me, looking at someone else's code is like trying to read Latin. I have done some work writing C# for Unity modding for another game. But I spend most of my time knowing what I want to do and then Googling the code to do it. Whereas the WordPress plugin is PHP which I know pretty well (with a dash of JS).  I hacked that out in a few hours.  Now that you see a new usage for Granger, write your own plugin for it. I won't be the least offended.

Some things to consider before you choose the WA plugin side:

Yes, the plugin uses a POST from the form. Unfortunately, the forum that CC AB uses has a very limited selection of traditional forum BB code that can be used. One thing it can't do is tables. I know, I tried. What the forum does do is paste whatever you copy to the clipboard as RTF. This means that the CSS formatting of the web page you copy it from is the big factor in how it looks when you past it here on the forums.  If you choose the WordPress plugin suggestion, making the table of horses look and feel different is merely a matter of loading up different CSS which is pretty easy but a bit time consuming to do. Trying that in C#? Well I'd have to Google that.

Another thing to consider.  All of the images of the horses in the list are hosted on one of my sites.  Meaning, whenever it pulls up that list from anywhere it's pasted, it grabs those images from my site.  If my site goes down (or I wipe it yet again), the images won't load.  Having a home for those would be nice as well.

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

My for sale post:

Someone who saw my post of horses and thot I did a lot of work formatting it.

About 15 mins later after adding prices, he posted this.

On 1/1/2021 at 8:37 AM, Fengist said:

>>One thing it can't do is tables.

Updated my post here.  Added a table, but cheated of course.   Created in Word and copy/paste.  Now I have no idea how to remove or replace it  :P

And YES on the Patreon.  WA is one of those tools that once you start using, you cannot stop!

Edited by Nicholai

1 hour ago, Nicholai said:

Updated my post here.  Added a table, but cheated of course.   Created in Word and copy/paste.  Now I have no idea how to remove or replace it  :P

And YES on the Patreon.  WA is one of those tools that once you start using, you cannot stop!

Just place the cursor to the right of the table. You should see a black vertical bar the same size as the table.  Hit backspace and it's gone.  Same with the horses table.

6 hours ago, Nicholai said:

Added a table, but cheated of course.  

What I was referencing is BB code.  BB code for many years was a standard for forums.  For example, you can make text on some forums by using code like this:  Bold 

I did that by typing [b]Bold[/b]

But, on this forum, there's no BB code for tables and the company that creates this forum has decided they're no longer supporting BB code.

Edited by Fengist

Hey @Fengist

After doing a quick research, I could go for making a WP site on dreamhost.com

I've used that wordpress hosting before and were happy with it, their offer is very affordable.

And actually it's a very good point on Patreon. I've been looking to setup something just like it in the past, but Patreon wasn't an option back then (it were very immature options at that time). Patreon looks great and I think famed beer button is coming back! 🍻

Will contact you via PM once the site is setup, we can work the details.

• Like 3

Firstly, thanks the very useful use of ur WA software.

I had a hard drive blow out. So got WA installed on my new computer. I have all the files from my old blown out hard drive. All the WA files are backed up on a nifty external hard drive. Dreading going through and re adding all my granger - it suddenly occurred to me.. maybe there is a way to copy over all the files on this new install w/ files from my other hard drive.

This new version of my WA has an empty Granger.

Is there a way I can manipulate my WA files so they recognize all the granger entries I already updated? I never.. well not recently... did any granger backups. But, I do have my enter WA folder saved. Which files do I put where? to make my old granger data get recognized by my new WA install?

Thanks for you time,

Teeebomb  (<< silently resents that forum spell checker underlines his name in red squiggly as if he were somehow lesser than)

About sounds and Granger.

So in Granger when you smile/examine horses and the little notification slides up in the lower right corner. For the most part, it's simply let's you know that the info has been updated. So this leads to me never really paying attention to it. Especially since I have a large monitor, so it's kind of "work" to keep moving my eyes to the lower right corner. 

Sometimes however, something might have changed in the horse, leading to an error about mismatched parents or something like that, and since I never really follow those, I miss them.

Is it, or would it be possible to create a sound trigger upon getting a Wurm assistant notification with an error? So instead of setting a trigger for an in-game log, instead a Wurm Assistant one?

16 hours ago, Malena said:

About sounds and Granger.

So in Granger when you smile/examine horses and the little notification slides up in the lower right corner. For the most part, it's simply let's you know that the info has been updated. So this leads to me never really paying attention to it. Especially since I have a large monitor, so it's kind of "work" to keep moving my eyes to the lower right corner. 

Sometimes however, something might have changed in the horse, leading to an error about mismatched parents or something like that, and since I never really follow those, I miss them.

Is it, or would it be possible to create a sound trigger upon getting a Wurm assistant notification with an error? So instead of setting a trigger for an in-game log, instead a Wurm Assistant one?

Sounds we be good, adding an option so error messages have to be clicked away would be nice too. Sometimes tracking down why a sound was played is difficult.

Hi @Malenaand @Kelody, I think it won't be much work to add that which you ask for. :) Added to my todo, both ideas.

@TeeeBOMByes, you can do that. Note that this will overwrite any new settings, you might have created after hard drive switch.

Go to the backup of your old C partition and find: \users\[your-user-name]\AppData\Local\AldursLab

(you may need to turn on viewing hidden files, as AppData folder is normally a hidden one)

Copy that entire folder to the same location on your new system: C:\users\[your-new-username]\AppData\Local\AldursLab

(overwrite everything)

Merging settings is possible, but probably easier to set them up anew.

Edited by Aldur
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Aldur said:

@TeeeBOMByes, you can do that. Note that this will overwrite any new settings, you might have created after hard drive switch.

Thanks! I did that. I got all my granger backed up. But now my WA loads w/ a ton of errors trying to refer to incorrect files.

So now I am prepared to uninstall WA to try and re install it new.

How do I uninstall WA? .. so that I can install it new after?

Thanks your help 🙂

@TeeeBOMB, you may be able to fix this easily with options marked below. Please try them, first "change game client path", then "clear wurm api caches". Reinstalling WA is not should not be necessary.

2021-01-17-00h20-53.png

Edited by Aldur
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aldur said:

fix this easily

Ok i'll try that in a bit , thanks all ur help !

FIXED !

I did try the 'Change game client path' and then the 'Clear WurmApi caches', did not fix the missing file issue. The constant scrolling issue showing up was...

[06:32:45] > Error > WurmApi > TaskManager: Error during task execution: WurmConfigs update > One or more errors occurred. > gamesettings.txt not found at path C:\users\...\wurm\configs\default\gamesettings.txt; Config for: DEFAULT; Dir monitor for: C:\Users\...\wurm\configs

So, all I had to do to make that one quit scrolling, was to log on some character in DEFAULT settings. That created the missing gamesettings.txt, and so that error quit scrolling.

Fixed.

Thanks so much your time 🙂

I don't know if this is feasible.. but sure would be handy, had there been a setting to back up all herds at one click, instead of having to back up each herd individually. That's my suggestion. If you can add that option, then I could back up my granger easier more often. Not sure how many ppl this change would help tho. For sure anyone who has recently taken up to backing up their granger off computer periodically, like I have (lol).

Either way. Very good/useful thing this Wurm Assistant. I am very satisfied customer. I really appreciate the work you put into this. Again, thanks all your help w/ my particular issue.

Thank you @TeeeBOMBfor kind words and I'm glad the issue is fixed.

That gamesettings.txt error spam feels like a bug, I'll have a look at it.

I might be able to do something about such backups. There is a system for backups in the app, I will have a look at it as well. :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aldur said:

Thank you @TeeeBOMBfor kind words and I'm glad the issue is fixed.

That gamesettings.txt error spam feels like a bug, I'll have a look at it.

I got same as TeeeBOMB and doing what he did didnt fix it for me  

Im sure you find out one day what couse it :) 

@MaiyaI only suspect for the moment, but I think I know the cause.

Assistant first finds all folders at path: configs\, then it assumes every folder is an actual fully working config and tries to read gamesettings.txt. But if file is not there, it blows up. It doesn't break WA, it only makes annoying error spam.

Can try fixing this by either making one login into wurm online, using this config, or deleting the folder (eg. if it's empty).

As soon as I have a while to hack at WA (busy with other project now), I'll fix this.

4 minutes ago, Aldur said:

It doesn't break WA, it only makes annoying error spam.

yah why i havnt written here about it before :) 

Aldur, ive read as much of this thread as possible and am unable to find an answer to the question of why the Linux version of WA isnt available. did i miss a post?

also, you may not know that WA throws up alignment errors with Lib followers/priests since they have a negative alignment.

Edited by Tomatoes

Hi @Tomatoes

Next major WA version is going to work on linux. Current one does not. This is a big deal to get done, it requires entire GUI to be replaced.

@Aldur

OOOO ouch. well i run arch linux on my laptop and am willing to be a guinea pig if you need one

Edited by Tomatoes

there's alot of pages so I'm not sure if this has been brought to your attention, but could you make Granger differentiate between hellhorse foals and adults? the examine does slightly show the difference

[14:14:56] This fiery creature is rumoured to grow up to be a mount of the demons of Sol. vs [14:16:05] This fiery creature is rumoured to be the mounts of the demons of Sol.

it keeps thinking my hellbabies are breedable

Ok, it seems my launcher wasn't updating itself because I'd used the launcher that didn't constantly force me to choose between WO and WU.  I'm now at 110, and hopefully things will work properly. Sorry :)

Edited by Lisabet
  • Like 1

@Aldurhas been working on the website for WA. In the process of hammering away on that, he's also graciously set up a subdomain for the WordPress plugin I wrote that formats Granger XML exports into tables.  And it has an official name now.

Groom for Wurm Assistant

You can read about it here:

• Like 2

Aye sir and sirses! I've had to pause work on page, because I'm behind on other paid project. But will go back to it shortly. And with it, I'm going to open Patreon option. The money will go for beer only, I promise!

• Like 1