Sign in to follow this  
sweatygopher

Fix Drakespirits

continual nerfing of high end encounters is no way to keep a game alive.

First off, drakespirits don't act like other monsters. They will continue to chase you, even if something else is attacking them. Last I recall, you can't archer them. Also, The issue isn't with people with proper fight skill fighting them. It's people wanting to try out the pvp servers for the purpose of player vs player combat, not overly powered PVE content. PVE content is for the main servers, I didn't join a pvp server to get harder PVE content so don't throw that "don't join epic" crap at me because EPIC is all about PVP not PVE. If you want hardcore PVE content go play on the freedom servers.

My main concern is that new players joining the game are going to join the pvp servers thinking PVP is a lot more fun than PVE, and only find hard, abusive PVE content.

There's plenty of solutions to fix the problem that wouldn't be nerfing them:

For example, not having them spawn on deeds. Not having them spawn near the main starter cities.

Or, for cool factor... have them only spawn near altars. I mean there's a ton of solutions that are better and more conducive to keeping new players playing. Dragonart hasn't logged in since the other day, and he was on every day playing for 8 hours every day. Gone just like that, because of a bad experience with one of these killing him over and over. He didn't know what to do, none of us were on and he was very new to the game. He would have probably gone premium if it wasn't for the drakespirit. It's just bad for business.

I understand and completely respect the risk vs reward when fighting them but that doesn't mean they have to be forced on us constantly. If we decide to wander out in the wilderness and get caught by one, that's one thing. When it randomly spawns out of no where while you're mining, or chopping wood and walks through your city walls and attacks you and continues to do so even though the guards are beating on it that's a bit much.

What's the point of paying 14 silver for guards a month if they do squat to help you? Guards are meant to help with PVE content, and understandably so useless in PVP. So why am I paying 14 silver if this one monster can troll me? Three of us beat on one with 4 guards attacking it and it killed them then us and healed before the next guard respawned. We have 15-20 FS (we're new)

Yes, they just look like Keller spirits.

Edited by sweatygopher

Various people told you here archery works but you're still screaming it doesn't. They also don't hold target like you claim, I've drawn the agro off of them plenty of times before. You're just spewing a load of horsefeathers around trying to make them seem much worse than they are, because you refuse to understand that you need to ask others for their help on pvp servers. If someone quits wurmonline forever from one bad pve experience they probably wouldn't have liked a pvp experience either (trust me, they're much worse). Join a larger town with already skilled fighters and there's no issue. Otherwise ask for help, or don't and struggle.

PS imagine the fun when they can't go through walls. It sure will be easy to breed some lovely 'overpowered' pvp pets then, since they lay eggs like no tomorrow. Bashing mechanics are too easily avoided, going through walls is the only way too ensure no penning.

Pps you could pay a gold for guards, and I still hope they'd do diddly squat. That way you can't buy your safety or victory, but need to work for it.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 2

I'm not missing the point. There is no legitimate point to miss. The OP is clearly new to the game and does not have Fight Skill. Instead of crying about something that isn't broken on the forum he needs to get help from his kingdom.

I'm GLAD there are things in the game that make it frightening. Wurm was getting boring.

You were saying that because they are spirits, they should walk through walls. That's like saying that since dragons have wings, they should ignore any walls because they can fly. Sounds sorta logical, but isn't really fun on Wurm if you can't hide from them.

Maybe if people do like the 'going through walls' thing so much, we could just have it in a different way. Like for every minute, they could walk through walls for 30 seconds, and then not walk through them anymore for 30 seconds. That way you can't put them in a pen or get them stuck, they keep their ability to attack you on your deed, but you also sort of have the possibility to hide from them or atleast temporarily to heal up or regain stamina.

Why do drakespirits even exist on a pvp server? The goal of epic is to promote pvp and to attract new players. Instead by adding drakespirits you have a ton of new players that blatantly quit because they get their ass kicked. Afcoarse somoene experienced will be capable of avoiding aggro range or killing one (with some help that is) But the issue is that new players do not know about drakespirits and once they see them its often to late.

Yet I see tons of people yelling at newbies that they should just deal with it. What is it what the core playerbase want? Do you want Wurm to stay at playerbase of 20 people online on the main pvp server? Or do you want increase these numbers and have more people. or is it something else? What does the core base exactly want epic to become? This is something that should be discussed.

Edited by Dark Tom

Because they actually could and can deal with them if they get in a group of 2-3 people

Drakespirits and the other Valrey creatures aren't exactly PvE content, they are sentient weapons send by the enemy.

Saying to kill them with FS is just stupid though. I mean, how are you supposed to gain skill if you can't even play, because you are constantly dead? If you are repeatedly forced to face enemies that you can't avoid, can't escape and can't beat, you are more likely to loose all your fight skill rather than gain any.

Also keep in mind, that the creatures were only added later, after all these loud mouthed veterans had gained their skill. But the newbs don't have the benefit of save skilling anymore.

However asking for help is the way to go. If you can't or don't want to get help you shouldn't be playing an MMO especially one as focused on player interaction as Wurm.

Edited by Keldun

continual nerfing of high end encounters is no way to keep a game alive.

Except it isn't a high end encounter. Are you being this thick-headed on purpose?

I'm sorry, OP, but if your friend quit the game from being killed a couple of times by a mob he isn't strong willed enough to survive in Wurm or on Epic.

Epic is a hard cluster. It's not meant to be easy. You're supposed to get your fighting skills up fast or you will die a lot. Drakespirits embrace that, as do the rest of the Valrei spawns.

Also keep in mind, that the creatures were only added later, after all these loud mouthed veterans had gained their skill. But the newbs don't have the benefit of save skilling anymore.

Loud mouthed veterans? You can get 70FS in a week, but more importantly the gods have been spawning their creatures from the start.

I went from 10 fs to 70 in 3 or less days.

Last week was smithing naked, walked out to get some logs and was attacked by one, took 5 hits from it before i got my armour on and guards on it. Did Deadly hard harms and damages to it. Killed it, saced its stuff, continued on my way to get more fuel. They aren't that strong really...

well shut me up zaramoth and explain exactly what you did to go from 10 to 70 fs. I've lost 3 FS in the past 3 days. I can't find any low level creatures, only crocodiles and trolls. Most of them greenish in my area. Where do you go to hunt? How is it that you're gaining more than .1 per kill, and able to rest and heal inbetween fast enough to continue? I'm asking seriously, how are you gaining so much fight skill. To me it's the slowest skill I've experienced yet.

I grinded a bit of FS on a villager's account like 4 days ago and got it from 31fs to 42fs in a few hours. 2 days ago, I grind again for like an hour or maybe two (mostly time spent on traveling) and get it to 46fs. Spiders, hell hounds, bears all give like 0.1 to 0.2 per kill around that skill.

All you need is a horse that isn't slow, some decent armor, some shield skill (preferably around 30-50 but lower is ok too), a good shield and sword, several kgs of cotton and HCs, a few kg of water and you're ready to hunt for a few hours.

Archery is an easy way also, grab a longbow, shoot trolls from a distance so they cant aggro you... archery skill and fight skill :)

First off, drakespirits don't act like other monsters. They will continue to chase you, even if something else is attacking them. Last I recall, you can't archer them. Also, The issue isn't with people with proper fight skill fighting them. It's people wanting to try out the pvp servers for the purpose of player vs player combat, not overly powered PVE content. PVE content is for the main servers, I didn't join a pvp server to get harder PVE content so don't throw that "don't join epic" crap at me because EPIC is all about PVP not PVE.

You don't listen well to the advice given to you, Archery does work on them. I've pulled the aggro off myself when dealing with these critters, you just need to be out of their range when they kill whatever you replace yourself with. The point of Epic is the scenarios that sometimes result in the spawning of these monsters. These monsters aren't too overpowered by the way, you could get killed by a champion troll or lava spider just as easily. I understand the running through walls is kind of unfair, but if you have templars AND towerguards you could gank this thing easily.

For example, not having them spawn on deeds. Not having them spawn near the main starter cities.

They spawn when Fo followers complete their missions (sometimes) and only really spawn in Enemy lands.

I understand and completely respect the risk vs reward when fighting them but that doesn't mean they have to be forced on us constantly. If we decide to wander out in the wilderness and get caught by one, that's one thing. When it randomly spawns out of no where while you're mining, or chopping wood and walks through your city walls and attacks you and continues to do so even though the guards are beating on it that's a bit much.

There really isn't a reward for fighting any of them, as they don't drop anything that useful. I understand that you're frustrated that you can't kill them, try and rally the community to slay a bunch.

What's the point of paying 14 silver for guards a month if they do squat to help you? Guards are meant to help with PVE content, and understandably so useless in PVP.

They aren't useless in PvP, they stop quick drains and actually do help defenders. If anything Tower Guards are more meant for PvE.

Loud mouthed veterans? You can get 70FS in a week, but more importantly the gods have been spawning their creatures from the start.

Yeah, you can get 70FS in a week, but most of those who did are old time Wild players, that knew what they were doing.

Also the gods didn't spawn the creatures on the very first day, they were dribbling in over the first weeks. So according to your statement, after you got the FS for them.

Ps: the "loud mouthed veterans" bit was in reaction to the attitude some of these guys display.

Edited by Keldun

Yeah, you can get 70FS in a week, but most of those who did are old time Wild players, that knew what they were doing.

Anyone can do that.

It just needs those wanting to to actually listen to the tips of those 'bad bad old time wild players' maybe?

It's not a huge secret how you can grind fightskill, but people need to pull their head out of their ass and actually follow up on advice from those loud mouthed veterans. Or ask them for help.

• Like 1

There have been plenty of loud-mouthed vets telling how to get good fight skill: forums, wiki, etc. Basically you hunt for specific monsters for whatever fs you happen to be at: champs and greens are best. Granted being optimal can be iffy depending on the area spawns, so its not bad to just kill everything that moves too.

Personally drakespirits are fine for the most part.. The only thing I would even consider toning down is the pursuit range.

Also the gods didn't spawn the creatures on the very first day, they were dribbling in over the first weeks. So according to your statement, after you got the FS for them.

Ps: the "loud mouthed veterans" bit was in reaction to the attitude some of these guys display.

I have never set foot on Wild/Chaos and also spent the first half of epic semi afk, did not get 70FS until April thankyou :)

well shut me up zaramoth and explain exactly what you did to go from 10 to 70 fs. I've lost 3 FS in the past 3 days. I can't find any low level creatures, only crocodiles and trolls. Most of them greenish in my area. Where do you go to hunt? How is it that you're gaining more than .1 per kill, and able to rest and heal inbetween fast enough to continue? I'm asking seriously, how are you gaining so much fight skill. To me it's the slowest skill I've experienced yet.

HoTS

Exactly. There isn't a way to do it in 3 days. Three months more likely. More monsters to kill doesn't account for the vast amount of cotton you need to heal up, the shield skill you need to develop, etc.

God I love Drakespirits, there is a strategy to avoid dying to them you know.

Very simple, the goal is to keep running while making them throw you. If they throw you around enough they will stop chasing you.

It worked for me many of times, tossed my into those big craters on elevation. Those sucked to climb out of, anyway just let them throw you and essentially they get "bored"

Exactly. There isn't a way to do it in 3 days. Three months more likely. More monsters to kill doesn't account for the vast amount of cotton you need to heal up, the shield skill you need to develop, etc.

Being HoTS means you can essentially avoid the need for cotton by absorbing mycelium, you develop the shield skill as your FS grows while hunting which is far better for you than semi-afk slapping a foal around, we can keep offering advice for you to ignore but you seem to have already taken your seat as a defeatist. Try and take some of the information presented to you on board rather than attacking those who are kindly offering their suggestions and ideas :unsure:

• Like 2

Drake spirits are fine, i believe me and someone else, killed a agen drakespirit w/o even having to back up and heal. two people.

FS is probably the easiest skill to grind, get a horse, some cotton, a sheild and weapon and some armour, and boom, you can kill most anything out there already

FS is even EASIER to grind w/ archery, 70ql longbow w/ 30ql war arrows will kill wolfs and bears in 4-6 shots

Instead of finding a way to solve a problem, you ask for a nerf lol