Sign in to follow this  
leaf

Open Interiors For Multi-Story Buildings

With multi-story comes a new type of building we might be able to make, if considered before code is finished (probably easier for the coders).

If 2nd floor, 3rd floor, etc can be planned and made with just the exterior walls and not forced to have floor/ceiling in the middle then we can make all sorts of creative things. Maybe a hollow 4 story warehouse to build ships in. Or a high ceilinged main room in your house. Or a 3 story hollow building covered with windows for a vynora church. One solution to making the walls would be to require a floor/ceiling tile next to each wall, sort of like a walkway. That would allow you to get up to the next floor and stand on it to build those walls and have a place for the next set of stairs to go. Might even lead to 2 story doors, or additional stair types later on.

lagerhaus-innen.jpg

Plan the 2nd floor, climb up there, make floors next walls, make walls, move on to next floor.

Dist.Balzacs-600x450.jpg

You could even place flags in here!

Edited by leaf
  • Like 1

I just MUST see this in game! :) Big +1, if "empty" floor will not require 1 carpentry point for each tile it is even better, because it will allow us to build really beautiful, impressive structures.

Hmm, from what I've seen of multi-storey I think this will be possible in some form. (That means I can't confirm anything.)

If the new roof system allows for different roof styles one of which is 'floor' then possibly one could make an open roof house or a 2 story tall room.

I hate to think of how this gets hammered into the semi 3d world but if Rolf can make it work great.

Yes this will be possible, but it will take some work. You can only plan floors above and below you so you actually have to stand at a suitable location to plan your stuff. Of course, you can build up a set of storeys and then tare them down and leave an empty shell, sort of.

I think the concept we're working on is just the carpentry limiting like it does now the base platform of the building.

You would then have increasingly higher skill to add additional levels, but the number of extra floor tiles will not be calculated into the total maximum tiles, only the tiles on the ground floor as it is today.

Disclaimer: This is just how I personally see it and does not reflect Codeclub official view. It may change since this is still very much work in progress.

• Like 1

To confirm, additional levels require more skill to build, but the floor/ceiling tiles do not add to that, correct?

Is the formula for skill requirement the same as current, (1 skill per wall), or is it more for higher levels?

Edit: This is asking Zcul's opinion, and not a request for a hard CCAB response to which we should hold them when 1.0 comes out =P

Edited by The_Zenith

I do like the idea of big, open areas in the multi story houses when they come out, but maybe support beams could serve a doul role: being used to create reinforced walls in mines and be used as support beams in big rooms because so far if you have a huge 2 story house, it wouldn't look like the roof would be able to hold itself up lol