Sign in to follow this  
Airwalkre

Ability To Live On Large Ships

It might be neat to be able to semi-live on the large boats corbita,cog,knarr, and caravel. What i mean by live on them is have an oven, forge, bed in them that could be usable while moored and not moving. Maybe even a very small fsb and bsb type item that would hold slightly less than a raft could so if it was dirt it would be 30 dirts for example or even 20, it doesn't have to be big at all just enough to live on the boat for a while. That way you could be out at sea and light the oven and cook a meal cause you would have a small amount of food in the fsb type item not rotting away, same with the mini bsb holding the fuel for oven/forge. Each of these items would count toward the 100 item limit in the hold of said ship. Would make for some fun long adventures going to other servers and being able to cook up some food along the way or reimp something etc.

And while I am thinking how about a cage that would take up 1 of the 100 too and it would be something you could put a lead-able animal in so you could transport an animal, it would have to have some sorta decay death rate to it so you couldn't store an animal in it for a long time. And maybe even have it that it won't allow you to cross servers with a caged animal in ships hold ( not too sure on that aspect but just thought about it, might or might not be good in the long run )

If these have been mentioned befor my bad, at bad searching skills :)

Edited by Airwalkre
  • Like 2

Ya I know having a fire on a wooden boat might not be the best idea but hey I still think it would be cool

Edited by Airwalkre

+1 if only allowed in caravel, the other ships are to small i think.

I would think Corbita, Kog, and Caravel would be the best suited for living since they look like they would have the room to have ovens forges and beds. Plus plenty of storage space. You could even have them as a great plave to live permenantly, like for traveling merchant across servers, you could have all of your items and skill with you, so you could go from port to port and server to server to sell and trade

I would not mind seeing shipbuilders get a new type of boat to make, difficult and highend and equal in complexity to a Caravel but low profile and made especially for living aboard, like a gypsty caravan at sea:

Kettuvallam_Houseboat.jpg

JNHF1.jpg

house_boat3%5B1%5D.jpg

houseboat.jpgHouseboat2-300x225.jpg

ANGEL%20QUEEN-3%20BED%20AC%20(2).JPG

800px-Kashmir_houseboats.jpg

While these do fine in shallow waters similar to a knarr, they are very awkward bulky and slow moving so not very practical for shipping or a merchant ship, they would maybe go 3-4 k/h at best and pretty much take all day to get anywhere, but then they are not a lifestyle choice for the person in a hurry to get anywhere.... for more info see http://en.wikipedia....boat#By_country

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

People have used fire on ships for eons. Maybe a chance the thing catches fire and burns to ashes. That happened too. Oh, no forges. Way too hot.

Edited by Sarcaticous

I love those ships :o some of them look like they could implemented exactly the same into the game ;)

I would not mind seeing shipbuilders get a new type of boat to make, difficult and highend and equal in complexity to a Caravel but low profile and made especially for living aboard, like a gypsty caravan at sea:

While these do fine in shallow waters similar to a knarr, they are very awkward bulky and slow moving so not very practical for shipping or a merchant ship, they would maybe go 3-4 k/h at best and pretty much take all day to get anywhere, but then they are not a lifestyle choice for the person in a hurry to get anywhere.... for more info see http://en.wikipedia....boat#By_country

Now that was a good idea there :)

do this for the traders at least they traval far from home and they tend to want to have the ability to sleep wheil they are offline, afk, or it is night it is a challange to navagate at night. +1 from me

Making the ship have a very good speed and I would +1 this because having a ship to sleep on eliminates the idea that you could possibly be a traveling merchant

This is a great idea! I was thinking why doesn't the ships have a captains room or any of the things they have in the real world in that time frame.

I have always supported being able to outfit large ships in some kind of modular system: beds, forges, ovens, extra sails, oar banks, various catapults/ballista, rams, etc.

Edited by Klaa

As Always I have to -1 this one.

If it was possible no sleep bonus for youz.

As Always I have to -1 this one.

If it was possible no sleep bonus for youz.

i just have to ask, why?

i think if this idea was combined with my idea to overhaul ship control and speed (as in make them move like a real ship. the larger, the slower. not flip flopped wurm logic bigger = faster! lol), it would add yet another layer of diversity to this already extremely creative game.

i just have to ask, why?

i think if this idea was combined with my idea to overhaul ship control and speed (as in make them move like a real ship. the larger, the slower. not flip flopped wurm logic bigger = faster! lol), it would add yet another layer of diversity to this already extremely creative game.

So in real life a rowboat will go faster than a ship with large sails?

+1

I would very much like a portable base. I would need the ship to at least hold a duo of horses, cart, bed and allow for all that to cross servers, to have all this really useful. Being able to have some more objects serving functions of forge, oven etc. would be an added bonus.

Jovan, it actually is correct. Big ships have a lot and big sails, which makes them fast with good winds. And correctly so, in weak winds they move like turtles.

I'd trade my kingdom for a hammock and a shipping crate. (literally)

-1 would cause a lot of deeds to be unbuilt and just used as resource grounds.

Seeing as the ship would take a lot to build and would end up costing a lot mainly those that keep larger deeds would be the only ones using them for some time and im sure they would resize their deed(s) down to cover the resources they deed.

I believe such ships would do more harm to the coin sink then it would help out funding the servers and getting some paid dev members

Ronnie, I don't play this game to feed wurm coin sink, I play it to have fun. Leave financial side to the devs.

+1 espacially to bed on boat and animals on boat

+1 house boat ^^ - would make it finally possible to live in a mine :P