Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Frustrated By The Same Looking Houses? With Our New Roof Types...

GOODNEWS.png

:)

I was wondering what the new test update was.

EDIT: Ah yes the good old test server where you have to make all the tools that you need for testing yourself. No GMs were online to give me a corncupia and there was nothing in sight i could have used to make items. Thats nice its still beyond me why the test server is still not properly used for testing. No wonder almost nobody cares about what is on test anymore. Its just you and a few others who always seem to know right away when theres something new on test which is fair enough but then why not just close the test server and only allow a handful of people to test?

Edited by atazs

EDIT: Ah yes the good old test server where you have to make all the tools that you need for testing yourself. No GMs were online to give me a corncupia and there was nothing in sight i could have used to make items. Thats nice its still beyond me why the test server is still not properly used for testing. No wonder almost nobody cares about what is on test anymore. Its just you and a few others who always seem to know right away when theres something new on test which is fair enough but then why not just close the test server and only allow a handful of people to test?

The thing with the test server is that it's designed to be used principally by devs and people assigned to do testing work. The relationship with players is that if interested, they're more than welcome to log on and have a look at some new features. Unfortunately it's just luck as to whether a GM/dev is around on the test server who you could ask to help you. In future if you log on to find yourself the only player around then I recommend making crude tools out of foraged branches and bits of rock, you'll still be able to do some things that way.

The thing with the test server is that it's designed to be used principally by devs and people assigned to do testing work. The relationship with players is that if interested, they're more than welcome to log on and have a look at some new features. Unfortunately it's just luck as to whether a GM/dev is around on the test server who you could ask to help you. In future if you log on to find yourself the only player around then I recommend making crude tools out of foraged branches and bits of rock, you'll still be able to do some things that way.

Just add tools to the item spawner. If I can spawn weapons or a complete drake set, why can I not spawn a silly hammer?

Edited by Hussars

Just add tools to the item spawner. If I can spawn weapons or a complete drake set, why can I not spawn a silly hammer?

True... remember, the suggestions area of the forums is your friend ;) could do with a default tool set on the test server really, though as I understand it half the problem is that the code is always changing on the test server and so it could be a pain to give players default stuff. A solution, if requested, could be found though I'm sure.

Edited by Docterchese

Wasn't intended as a direct request for it, just a passing comment based on current thread discussion. However seeing as I cannot quickly find it listed on the suggestion forum, will go add it now. Would have thought this would have been the first request since test went public...

::edit:: Link to the tool thread here

Edited by Hussars

I'm not frustrated by the old same looking house textures because those look like rockshards not bricks

While I like the look of the roofs and also think the art team is working their styluses off...

A few questions we've still not had any real comments on:

• Will interior walls with a roof on/over the tile finally reach the rafters?
  • How will this appear with multistory houses that are not the same number of tiles on each floor? Such as 3x3 first floor, 1x1 second floor (on any of the 3x3 tiles), or 2x1/2x2 second floors, etc...?
  • Will you be able to have multiple roof types per house? So maybe thatch on the up floor, and wood on the lower.
  • As separate construction points, will they have their own decay rates, or be based on one or more supporting walls?
  • What are the proposed/currently discussed values for material requirements for the roof? Is this value for the entire roof or for each roof tile?
  • If I choose to use a "floor" as a flat style roof, will the house still be considered "complete" for enclosures and bed requirements?

Hussars asked some good questions here that pertain to constructing these new roofs which I am interested in knowing myself, as well as the following:

• Will there be an option to use the current roof style that is *automatically* built requiring no materials?
  • What are the materials required to build these new roofs?
  • Will these new roof styles be required to be individually built over each tile existing of the house or will they be built completely over each floor in one action?
  • If they are built in one action will the size of the roof then determine the amount of materials needed?
  • On multistorey houses if the second floor only covers 1/2 of the first floor will a roof be able to be built covering the remaining area of the first floor, or will that area have to be a *flat* deck, or will both options be available?

I may have rephrased certain of Hussars questions but if that is the case I think they are worth restating. To sum it up, a lot of questions remain unanswered concerning these new roof structures and how they will effect the current roof system construction which prevents us from making any accurate judgements of these new styles of roofs that have been mentioned, so all I have been able to do is express my concerns as in previous posts without any accurate information to base them upon.

=Ayes=

Hussars asked some good questions here that pertain to constructing these new roofs which I am interested in knowing myself, as well as the following:

• Will there be an option to use the current roof style that is *automatically* built requiring no materials?
  • What are the materials required to build these new roofs?
  • Will these new roof styles be required to be individually built over each tile existing of the house or will they be built completely over each floor in one action?
  • If they are built in one action will the size of the roof then determine the amount of materials needed?
  • On multistorey houses if the second floor only covers 1/2 of the first floor will a roof be able to be built covering the remaining area of the first floor, or will that area have to be a *flat* deck, or will both options be available?

I may have rephrased certain of Hussars questions but if that is the case I think they are worth restating. To sum it up, a lot of questions remain unanswered concerning these new roof structures and how they will effect the current roof system construction which prevents us from making any accurate judgements of these new styles of roofs that have been mentioned, so all I have been able to do is express my concerns as in previous posts without any accurate information to base them upon.

=Ayes=

No plans for internal walls to reach the rafters

Yes, you can have multiple roof types (https://dl.dropbox.c...121008.0011.jpg)

Like floors, roofs are build tile by tile

Material req depend on the roof type. Final requirements haven't been decided on yet.

I understand that the roof is hard to get right but the way you add them on the single story part in the pic is kind of strange. I am not sure how to make that look right without a lot of extra work. Maybe have an option to extend it to the second story roof? Love the shaker style roof though looks really good.

I am hoping we get a flat castle like roof too that will match the tall stone wall..well i have mentioned all this before, lol

Edited by Kegan

Material req depend on the roof type. Final requirements haven't been decided on yet.

Does this mean if you have a door on the second floor leading onto an outdoor tile you can essentially have a balcony?

Does this mean if you have a door on the second floor leading onto an outdoor tile you can essentially have a balcony?

This is planned, we'll have to see how easy it will be to implement.

Thank you for the response Manny and the new roof styles look pretty nice from the pic you provided, although I wouldn't mind seeing that tall pitched effect reduced some. Also since all roofs will have to be built tile by tile over the existing floors below, I hope the materials and time required will be kept to a minimum as this will indeed be adding a lot of extra work to building houses, which is someting that I enjoy doing at present.

=Ayes=

About the picture I added and didn't put any text with it: I can see that the roofs are gonna be very complex. What if we try to build a huge building like the castle above. The roofs being attached to wall would have to be on angles.

Wurm is a long ways for being able to build stuff like that but maybe someday. :) I do agree thought a roof that goes half way up the second story would be more realistic but it might be hard to get it figured out.

I really need to know what stairs will look like and if they really end up being teleporters, because I want to prepare the houses I'm building now.

Thank you for the information, it is appreciated!

Because it will be tile by tile, I will assume the values for each roof tile will be close to the same as for walls (20-40 items per section) at least for the start of the discussions.. hopefully my assumption is incorrect :lol:

Seriously though, thanks again!

Is there going to be a new material requirements(roofs) for building houses? I surely hope not, as if mortar and bricks wasnt enough.

Edited by WesncIsMe

If you want thatch roofs (the ones we currently have) it won't be much work, you'd just need to cut some grass and throw it on the roof.

I really need to know what stairs will look like and if they really end up being teleporters, because I want to prepare the houses I'm building now.

They won't be teleporters and will likely occupy one tile.

Good to know, nice that we have a confirmation finally.

I have trouble imagining how the landings will be arranged, will it be anything like one of these:

staircases.png

three stair types, straight, 90° and 180°, would be nice if we could make all, depending on house type, they are usefull.

Edited by Keldun

Sign in to follow this