Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Frustrated By The Same Looking Houses? With Our New Roof Types...

tumblr_mbbo6bWiPF1rvlbzeo1_500.jpg

Frustrated by the same looking houses? With our new roof types coming soon you’ll be able to add much more diversity to settlements!

View the full article

• Like 5

:o

Awesome stuff :D

Edited by Klaa

The wall colors are too dark to work with that. Seperate they look good but together...

Edited by Wiro

I think there making a slat one too like the freedom guard towers have? If so that will match better with the stone i think..the wood ones look good though...IMO

Edited by Kegan

Bad thing about new stuff is the old design always poofs, keep that too!

And use old trees as well if you please, somehow.

Sure ok, it's nice to have more options in roof creation but please leave in the old roof style as an option as I prefer that one to those shown in these pictures. Also, does this imply that when these changes come live that we will have to do extra work and use extra materials to create roofs for houses? As it is now, our house roofs are created *automatically* as part of the house layout and I would not be pleased with any changes that made extra work and materials necessary for creating house roofs. Perhaps the best way to handle this roof situation would be to have the current roofs be the *default* roof that is *automatically* created and these new roof styles as options that would require whatever new materials and extra *work* required to build them; as the specifics on roof creation with the introduction of multistorey houses has never been made clear, to my knowledge.

=Ayes=

I don't think the specifics are set in stone yet but at the moment it would appear that roofs will no longer be automatically created, but would be made out of materials which are pretty easy to get.

...such as grass for thatch, which is easy seeing as all you need to do is cut grass. If it took 20 mixed grass to make a thatched roof then you'd probably only need 6 grass tiles and a knife to meet that requirement. :)

• Like 1

Yes, looks extremely great. Like all new graphical updates, they amazing !

The guy(s) making the graphic designs/stuff should get a pillow on their cricket, to make them stay.

Well, adding more work to create houses by making roofs having to be *built* by whatever materials where in the past they were not required to be *built* does not in my estimation fit in with the word *easy*. It is simply more work to be done to have a finished house completed. Initially when I saw this talk way back of different roof types to be made available, my initial fear and reaction was that roofs would soon have to be built as an additional construction process added to be able to complete them on houses. It seems that this will be the case and there is really nothing to be done about it other than point out the fact that this so called *improvement* comes at the cost of additional work needed to complete houses; therefore, I don't like the fact that the option is not provided to *skip* this additional work by choosing to use the current roof style which is *automatically* created. This should be an option for those who don't care about these new roof types or even building multistorey houses for many of their buildings. Which brings to mind another option; if people choose to only build a single storey house, the roof should be *automatically* built for them as it is currently functioning.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Why does every time some feature is completed, someone comes along and complains about the additional work. Instead you should be thankfull that you got roofs for free before.

If you don't like Work, don't play Wurm.

Automatic roofs was a stopgap solution at best, you don't get automatic walls after finishing the plan either.

Edited by Keldun

Looks good, I'm assuming existing houses will get a default graphic.

It may be way too hard or simply not worth it but if writs could have a one time 'change roof type' option that'd be a nice feature for the 1000's of pre-existing houses. Obviously this is a "it'd be nice if..." kind of thing.

• BRING BACK WINE CELLARS PLEASE.

But there are wine cellars, i built one just the other day.

He means being able to have a minedoor inside of one's house. It was possible for a time until it turned out to be a bug and Rolf X'ed it.

He means being able to have a minedoor inside of one's house. It was possible for a time until it turned out to be a bug and Rolf X'ed it.

What, a bug? More like it was significantly easier to disable their creation compared to creating codeing for all the hypothetical situations folks where whining about might happen. No proof of the of the following opinion, but I also think their was also some resentment towards my way of thinking in the thread I created just before this was nerfed...."If you can do it, its legal and intended" <-- stress this is just my opinion.

Anyway, It would fun to make multistory underground housing. Something like a 10 story underground home accessed by a simple 3x3 with a trap door would be supper cool.

Of course the opposite aproach to creating these new roof styles could be taken as well. Select the type of roof design desired, press Ok, *poof*, roof created. This would be a real *improvement* to the new roof design options.

=Ayes=

Why does every time some feature is completed, someone comes along and complains about the additional work. Instead you should be thankfull that you got roofs for free before.

Automatic roofs was a stopgap solution at best, you don't get automatic walls after finishing the plan either.

I agree 100% Keldun. If you don't like to work, Wurm isn't a game for you. If you don't want to build a house yourself, then hire someone to build one for you.

Of course the opposite aproach to creating these new roof styles could be taken as well. Select the type of roof design desired, press Ok, *poof*, roof created. This would be a real *improvement* to the new roof design options.

=Ayes=

Yeah and you could go even further, *poof* floor created, *poof* wall created, *poof* forge created, *poof* maul created, *poof* plate created and you are playing Minecraft.

I agree 100% Keldun. If you don't like to work, Wurm isn't a game for you. If you don't want to build a house yourself, then hire someone to build one for you.

It seems that I must state the obvious to the above posters. As the forums are for expressing ones opinions about posts made upon it, if I see problems and drawbacks involved in changes and additions made to the game, I will continue to point them out as I feel the urge to do so. I think I made it clear as to why I think there is more work being added with the new roof changes, just re-read my posts if you are really interested in why I think these changes are just adding more work to building houses than was previously needed and thus I consider this a drawback that should be changed.

Although I would not agree with you above posters, I would not be so arrogant as to instruct you to not play Wurm because of something you did not like about it. The point is that I don't like many changes that add *additional* work to elements of the game that did not require that work before and that in my opinion could be redone by the Devs so as to avoid creating that *additional* work. Point being, I surely don't need the both of you telling me I should quit the game if I don't like something about it and I will certainly keep pointing out any negative aspects I see associated with changes made to the game. Taking my points made and trying to twist them to the extreme of *not liking work* is just utter nonsense.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I can understand Ayes' point of view, as that is how the game has been from the start. But. A roof that magically appears makes no sense, and I am all for adding work to my day to add a roof. Its cool and adds more immersion. Secondly, the "free roof" has spoiled many and they will have to adjust.

Looks good, dev team, keep up the good work.

• Like 2

While I like the look of the roofs and also think the art team is working their styluses off...

A few questions we've still not had any real comments on:

• Will interior walls with a roof on/over the tile finally reach the rafters?
  • How will this appear with multistory houses that are not the same number of tiles on each floor? Such as 3x3 first floor, 1x1 second floor (on any of the 3x3 tiles), or 2x1/2x2 second floors, etc...?
  • Will you be able to have multiple roof types per house? So maybe thatch on the up floor, and wood on the lower.
  • As separate construction points, will they have their own decay rates, or be based on one or more supporting walls?
  • What are the proposed/currently discussed values for material requirements for the roof? Is this value for the entire roof or for each roof tile?
  • If I choose to use a "floor" as a flat style roof, will the house still be considered "complete" for enclosures and bed requirements?

Edited by Hussars

Sign in to follow this