Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Frustrated By The Same Looking Houses? With Our New Roof Types...

If you want thatch roofs (the ones we currently have) it won't be much work, you'd just need to cut some grass and throw it on the roof.

Edited by WesncIsMe
  • Like 2

Maybe wall or floor materials could be decreased to compensate for the addition of new roof materials? Oh, and do we even need to make a roof? Could I make a house with a flat top?

If that is really the case, I will never build another house again. Didn't the dev's stop to think mortar and bricks were enough? With bigger houses its alot of work just for both but now materials for roofs? It may not be "alot" of work to gather those for the roof I don't think I want to also waste my time even more on that.

Yeah I feel the same way. My time is squeezed enough as it is, and requiring me to gather grass for thatch will be the "straw" that breaks the camel's back here. I'm thinking I need to get all my buildings done before this update, so I don't have to waste time gathering grass. Variety is cool and all, but do you have to add extra work to get something we've had for free all along? Same idea as requiring us suddenly to rent templars to have have lamps on deed filled and lit. That change was reverted because Rolf saw the community really didn't like it. Perhaps he will reconsider taking away our free default roofs. And wait a sec, how are newbies gonna build their 1x1s if you require grass which requires a sickle? Sickles being WS hard to make etc... been said before.

• Like 1

You don't need a sickle, same way as you don't need a butchering knife, they just give better results, but any kind of blade will do the job as well.

If that is really the case, I will never build another house again. Didn't the dev's stop to think mortar and bricks were enough? With bigger houses its alot of work just for both but now materials for roofs? It may not be "alot" of work to gather those for the roof I don't think I want to also waste my time even more on that.

Yeah I feel the same way. My time is squeezed enough as it is, and requiring me to gather grass for thatch will be the "straw" that breaks the camel's back here. I'm thinking I need to get all my buildings done before this update, so I don't have to waste time gathering grass. Variety is cool and all, but do you have to add extra work to get something we've had for free all along? Same idea as requiring us suddenly to rent templars to have have lamps on deed filled and lit. That change was reverted because Rolf saw the community really didn't like it. Perhaps he will reconsider taking away our free default roofs. And wait a sec, how are newbies gonna build their 1x1s if you require grass which requires a sickle? Sickles being WS hard to make etc... been said before.

I agree with you both that this extra work to build roofs is not a welcomed change and I would wager that a lot of players are not going to pleased with this "Surprise! Surprise!" (Gomer Pyle's expression); but as I have gone into some detail previously in this thread, I shall not repeat myself.

=Ayes=

Jesus Christ... could you people stop whining because of some itty bitty roof tiles?

I am sorry to say it so directly... I also think there were some pretty BAD changes made to the game in the past... raiding home servers before the indy server came... tunneling cave bugs... the all loved olive oil barrel when it first came out (its a great addition today, as it light lamps 50 tiles AROUND the deed)... and this all comes with a big "BUT"... I am very fond of the planned changes so far and I always thought its quite lame to just build some house walls and then magically a roof pops up. It was ALWAYS meant as a placeholder and was never meant to be a feature as some might think now.

Also I cant understand people whining "This is toooo much". Oh really? With Wurm 1.0 we get some new players, hire some villagers and then you dont have to do everything alone... its a MMO after all. Or you might build one of those building less?! Or you just take some more time and your village is finished some weeks later?! Some people think a game (and many think of life as the same) is a race.... its not a race.

I like more Features and I like more choice (different roof types, different floors... maybe even different wall types "soon") and its not like you HAVE to build a full deed of houses... it comes with time and need. I can understand how tunneling cavebugs were too much, I can also understand the oil barrel was too much... as it did just add some tedious WORK to the game and had no game mechanical use at all. But the new roof types are a choice and I am happy that we get this kind of development FINALLY. What's next?! People complaining that we might someday get more clothing types? People complaining about new monsters? JC... I could even answer this one myself, as there were a lot of people whining on the forums and in kchat all day "buwuhu a Hellhound did kill me... I did carry my full household and I am a FS noob in full ql5 plate armor and it did dare to kill me while walking a slope 24 road uphills".... o.O seriously...

Again sorry if thats a little bit too direct for the taste of some people and I dont want to hit someone personally... I just cant get it into my head why a GOOD feature is handled the same as BAD features in the past.

Edited by Taurus

I think the new roof look nice.. and in fact i also agree the default should remain as a charming reminder of what wurm was before the update. I know i have no seniority in comparison to some of the others, however if the default roof is not an option i think it'd be nice to know ahead of time so Aedgon can build a small village in tribute to pre-updated graphics.( more like a museum of the past) just in case we cannot choose the old pattern and IF existing houses don't auto update. we will have something to remember.. so players can walk by and see what wurm came from. i know this may seem like a silly idea but i feel like to some of th eplayers that do not want these gfx updates would appreciate being able to go back to the past.

Wine cellars yes please. Why the hell was it randomly removed? We still didnt get an explanation from you rolf!!

I'll go against the grain here and say that I support houses taking more materials to complete. Maybe the landscape won't be quite so littered with abandoned houses if fewer are built to begin with.

• Like 1

I disagree, I think that having less materials gives new people a better chance to make a house early on so they have a place to put their own items. But that's also a double edge sword because with so little materials (still a lot of time and materials for most people) and a high ql skill then houses stay around a while. All in all I think that I would lean more towards leaving houses the way they are. But that's just my opinion lol. Anyhoo, I like the house tops guys :D keep it up

Wine cellars yes please. Why the hell was it randomly removed? We still didnt get an explanation from you rolf!!

Recal rumors of worrying about people getting stuck into almost impossible-to-escape traps. However mine doors do not impede people from walking out, so its really no worse than someone building a house on top of you.

And it was a bug to begin with, so who knows what it was messing with.

Im all for having minedoors in houses though.

Edited by Klaa

And it was a bug to begin with, so who knows what it was messing with.

I really dislike people calling this a bug. I guess it was an unexpected result caused by the fact that mine doors act like terrain tiles and a house plan didn't check for the presence of mine door. The term "bug" is negative. I like an unexpected and desired feature.

Why didn't we get an explanation? I believe it was easier to disable the cool new feature then to code up new mechanics to deal with all the hypothetical, "I'm trapped, help" situations. That and the tone of the "make your own housed mine door" thread that preceded the nerfing was just a big argument. Why fuel the fire?

Getting taped in a house after exiting a mine door is a potential problem. Doesn't logging out in a house you don't have owner or friend right's too kick out the toon? Maybe house doors could let anyone exit a house? Put another way, make house doors like mine doors.

Basements are being looked into actually.

/>http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/61592-basements/

IMO just remove the limitation where you can't make a mine inside a house.

You want these roofs to be built on basements? Oh, I see, you just want to post something that is totally irrelevent to this topic. Nevermind.....

=Ayes=

Sign in to follow this