Sign in to follow this  
WesncIsMe

Teaching Flatraising Soon On Deliverance

I had only learned flatraising when I was 80+ digging on my first character and almost 3 years into the game, which is way too late and the wiki didn't tell me too much either. I learned from the Wild school of flatraising, dirt walls are a beautiful thing. I find flat raising a very important part of the game and its extremely enjoyable. Raising up dirt walls, pillars in the sky, seeing massive slopes off the sides that you raised up, great stuff.

You can do many amazing things with the knowledge of how to flatraise properly under your belt.

I'm a visual person, telling me a few things on how to do something might be good and dandy but I prefer the hands on experience so this what you all are getting. I will tell and show you some things about flatraising, then you have a go at it yourself. No stress at all here, you learn at your own pace and I'll answer your questions to the best of ability.

Will be taking 1-2 people at once for a single session but I do require you to join my mumble server, if you dont want to talk that is fine, I just find typing out all of what I need to say to be somewhat a pain. It doesn't matter which server you come from, what timezone you are or any of that but just be able to come at a certain time and date when its all setup. Also, I will provide meals if needed

The planning for this is non-existent right now but I have a general idea at the moment, let me know what you all think.

Edited by WesncIsMe

Deliverance, I forgot to mention that in the post, will update it.

Alright well i might go i always wanted to make slab hills and such :D any specific coords? or is that to be discussed?

Not currently doing this at the moment, I'll put a new post up when I am. Just planning it at the moment

I dont see myself making people pay for this, so dont worry about that

WesnclsMe,

I agree with you here. Flatraising can be a very enjoyable and useful skill to learn how to do within Wurm but it can also be quite puzzling to initially learn the process. I had asked a few people to explain and show me how to do this long ago and found that I could not grasp what they were trying to explain to me, so as I usually do, I figured out the process on my own after a long period of frustrated attempts. If you are one of the few people that can explain the process within the game by having people follow your instructions and actually succeed in doing it properly, your generous offer of providing an in-game learning experience will be a valuable one indeed. I wish you much success in your efforts.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

very nice ;) it took me some time to understand flatraising, but now it's a very useful tool, for raising underwater tiles out of water and making cliff areas perfect for living ;) since space is sometimes a problem people should work WITH that problem and start making coastplaces into rock ;)

easy. decide where you want the wall, and make it at least 4 tiles wide (top base = 2 tiles, max 300 slope), 6 wide would be a two step process but give a 600 slope with a top base of 4 tiles wide on the first tier, then 2 tiles wild base on the very top.

Dump all dirt in the middle line between the center 2 tiles, don't expect to get any more than 40 dirt dropped at any given time, because it will slide down to the 3rd tile out, which you don't want. you will want to make a long line of about 40 high at first for the length of your wall, just so you have better control of where dirt will go. You will also want to keep a 20 max slope going up the wall so that you can easily get to the top of your wall during construction without climbing.

Whenever your "pile" of dirt reaches 40, select one of the 4 tiles effect by the "pile" and select flatten. The ending platform for that tile will be 10 slope higher (10 dirt per 4 corners=40 dirt). You can also make 2 piles of 20 if you don't want to climb at all... but flat raising is a great way of also raising your climbing skill.

Also, not sure if this has been fixed... but do not stand on the top of your "pile" and flatten... this has created "ouch" events that can bring you close to death if your pile is really high. Good way of raising first aid however ;)

sorry, I've titled to 90+ digging twice now between gold 1 and 2. It really is easy once you have an army of alt diggers supplying you with dirt ;)

IMO it's not flatraising that people don't understand. It's brainlessly simple. The problem most people have is understanding exactly when dirt will or will not slide. Then they mess up things that take time and effort to fix, never want to repeat that horrible waste of time again, and promptly give up on making high slopes. So good luck in your efforts, and give people examples of dirt sliding off of not just one slope of 41 or more, but adjacent slopes down on any of the 4 tiles sharing the corner where the dirt is being dropped.

There are a lot of intricacies involved in flatraising on a existing sloped area of land making it a questionable process for someone unfamiliar with the concept and the best way to go about it. A good teacher is a very valuable asset to learn from and they are rare indeed, as anyone who would have the attitude that the process is *easy* or *brainlessly simple* and convey that to the person they are supposedly trying to teach the process, would soon find that they have alienated the person they are supposedly trying to help.

It is all good and well to have these opinions of ones ability to do flatraising but since these people already know how to do the job to their own satisfaction, they are not the people that the OP would be trying to help with this project, nor would I guess they would be capable of teaching others the process in an effective way that would be enjoyable by those interested in learning how to do it.

Now that I understand how to flatraise in some uneven and very steep slopes, I can clearly remember all the difficulty I had in figuring out how to do it properly. Although I would not want to put myself in the position of teaching others the process, I can understand the value of a person capable and interested in helping others in this manner; therefore, I again wish WesnclsMe much success in his efforts to make this option available to others.

=Ayes=

I had only learned flatraising when I was 80+ digging on my first character and almost 3 years into the game, which is way too late and the wiki didn't tell me too much either.

Dear lord. That's like a 40 year old virgin. :o

When you make a dirt road across a face cliff is when it get's interesting. :ph34r:

Ayes, I've taught countless people how to flat-raise. And, it was very easy to teach a person willing to learn. It isn't rocket science, nor advanced calculus. Once you understand how to "push" dirt forward onto a "too steep" slope by building up behind the slope and flattening it out toward the slope, it really isn't that hard to grasp but can take a long time to do (which detracts most people from learning it). All it takes is the dirt and skill level (actual character skill) to do the more advanced things.

The act of learning how to make a fully flat tile and deed takes people longer to grasp than flat raising because of the idea of 3d conceptualization. Some people's brains can't comprehend the simplicity of a plane with 4 points at all differing x,y,z coordinates.

What WesncisMe has stated though, is that some people are more visual learners and no matter how in depth or simplified written instructions might be, someone might never learn from that. There are also people who can figure out how to do it themselves simply by grasping the concept of how the dirt level in Wurm works and more importantly its limitations (such as myself and countless many more). However, I can almost guarantee that someone reading this thread can take what I have written down and go out and do it, if they can grasp my terminology and examples. Or, simply by asking a few questions for clarification. I figured, if this thread actually contained both invitation and explanation, those who wished to learn how to flat raise could either just read the thread, or attend.

The worst thing you could ever do is call something "hard, advanced, difficult, complicated". You will find, by stating these words, most people who have low self-esteem or inner doubt in their abilities will never try. If I call it easy, they are more likely to at least try.

Sorry for my first semi trolling post, but I thought it was kind of funny.

Everything is complicated until you know how to do it. I agree that flatraising is not hard when you have grasped the concept, ir's just tremendously time consuming when you want to flatraise a 1x1 pier in deep water or a dirt road on a mountain and it can be frustrating when you by mistake miscalculate the diagonal slope and get some dirt sliding where you don't want it. Or when someone dig up one dirt on a 20 slope mountainroad with 40+ slopes on the sides and there is no way of fixing it except going over the whole road from the top to get the one dirt where you want it :P

A good teacher adopts his teaching methods to the individual student, something that is hard to do in written text. Some people like to take courses to learn stuff (for this reason among others) some prefers to just read a book, good thing we have both alternatives.

It's a great initiative :)

I had only learned flatraising when I was 80+ digging on my first character and almost 3 years into the game, which is way too late and the wiki didn't tell me too much either.

So i wasnt the only one then...

So i wasnt the only one then...

Nope, its quite common I've heard

Edited by WesncIsMe