Sign in to follow this  
leaf

Carpentry Vs Masonry

Why not have carpentry required for planning a wood building, and masonry required for planning a stone building?

You can mix wall types in one building, so I don't see that working out

Planning a building made of wood and one made of stone are rather different. Plus (as an example) I only make and repair stone fences, stone houses, guard towers, etc. I have 80+ masonry but ony 60+ carpentry, yet am limited by my carpentry skill when planning stone buildings. It would add more variety to the houses/fences you come across and give a reason to grind another skill. =)

How about making the skills required not just for planning but also for constructing the building?

Make it so that for planning the building it will use either carpentry or masonry, whichever is higher. If you then try to put a wooden wall on that building then it will check if your carpentry is high enough to plan a building of that size, if so then you can construct the wall. It will do the same for masonry when trying to put stone walls on it. Mixing wall types is also taken into account this way.

Though that would be quite a change from what there is now, since you could no longer hire a carpenter just to plan the building and then construct it yourself, you'd actually need to hire the carpenter to build the entire thing for you then. And masonry also becomes a bit more important this way, right now it has very limited uses.

Masonry is needed when building houses. It dictates the quality of the walls.

You can make a stone house but without good masonry you'll have crappy ql walls.

As for limited use.... you use it to improve the QL of any masonry item, how is that limited? If you want it to feel more "useful" then get Rolf to add more game elements which require it. (castles.... make it castles please.....)

Masonry is needed when building houses. It dictates the quality of the walls.

You can make a stone house but without good masonry you'll have crappy ql walls.

As for limited use.... you use it to improve the QL of any masonry item, how is that limited? If you want it to feel more "useful" then get Rolf to add more game elements which require it. (castles.... make it castles please.....)

Well because every masonry item basicly comes down to grindstones, whetstones and imping some stone items (forges/ovens) most of these items rely on stonecutting to, not masonry.

Well because every masonry item basicly comes down to grindstones, whetstones and imping some stone items (forges/ovens) most of these items rely on stonecutting to, not masonry.

I did a lot of wall making/improving and improving towers to get my masonry up but there might possibly be a case for merging masonry and stone cutting as the differentiation isn't that great and there is only the stone cutting sub-category. Personally I'd rather wall working, including towers was renamed to structuring and placed under a global masonry banner. I've always felt the whole masonry area needed more depth and TLC

I'd welcome (after 1.0) some more high-level masonry items, perhaps things you need 50 or 70 skill to attempt, such as portcullis, curtain walls, battlements, and even perhaps curved or diagonal walls.

• Like 5

You could also add a few new skill to the skill tree targeting construction

enginering

- Basic construction : gained by all construction, allows basic planing like carpentry today (if added this skill will be should be set equal to the players current carpentry skill)

- Advanced construction : only gained from house walls, allows building high

- repair : moved from mics items

I'd welcome (after 1.0) some more high-level masonry items, perhaps things you need 50 or 70 skill to attempt, such as portcullis, curtain walls, battlements, and even perhaps curved or diagonal walls.

I'm of this opinion - I'm fine with house planning needing only carpentry, despite being more of a mason myself. Masonry is one of those skills that you get pretty high at just from doing normal things, and is pretty useful when it comes to forges, guard towers, and a dozen other things. I would, however, love to see some other more difficult masonry objects because, let's face it, colossi are so ugly.

Domed ceilings anyone?

• Like 4

I've mentioned this before. The reason all buildings require carpentry is the frame and supports. All houses are wood frame with wood supports. Ergo you need to know enough about carpentry to make sure your frame is strong enough to support the building.

I knew my OP wouldn't fly, but it brought on a discussion that came up with good ideas. I love your idea Garis. =)

As an example, I have a villager who makes ships, has never made a house or fence in his life. 71 Carpentry now.

I work only with stone and have made 45+ buildings, multiple guard towers, over 1k fences and have 82 masonry. But only 72 carpentry. He can make a house plan just as good as I can....

I've mentioned this before. The reason all buildings require carpentry is the frame and supports. All houses are wood frame with wood supports. Ergo you need to know enough about carpentry to make sure your frame is strong enough to support the building.

This level of realism doesn't make much sense when I have 70 carpentry due to making a crap ton of arrows and probably 20 handles and basically nothing else and only 50 masonry despite making tons of mortar and helping with quite a few houses and towers.

Given that which one qualifies me to plan a house.

This level of realism doesn't make much sense when I have 70 carpentry due to making a crap ton of arrows and probably 20 handles and basically nothing else and only 50 masonry despite making tons of mortar and helping with quite a few houses and towers.

Given that which one qualifies me to plan a house.

It's been made obvious through how the skills work that a skill is an all-encompassing theoretical knowledge of the things in that skillset.

So even if you never built a building you theoretically know enough about Carpentry to plan a good house frame.

So even if you never built a building you theoretically know enough about Carpentry to plan a good house frame.

Sorry, but that's just silly.

I never said it wasn't silly, I said that was how Wurm's skills work.

It's Wurm logic.

Actually, planning a home/castle/building should be a separate skill called Architecture, but not sure how you'd grind that.

Actually, planning a home/castle/building should be a separate skill called Architecture, but not sure how you'd grind that.

Don't give Rolf ideas. I can see it now, activate mallet, plan 1x1 house gain .001 architecture, destroy plan, repeat till you can make 1x2 etc.

After days of planning/destroying houses you'll be up to 2x3's.

The most trivial solution is to just change the planning test to check against carpentry just like now, if you have insufficient carpentry then test against masonry. If that fails then fall through to the existing error, if you have enough masonry it lets you add.

Trivial from a coding PoV, solves the problem and doesn't get into the utterly nasty question of houses with both wood/stone walls.

I would rather see it use the combined skill values, so masony + carp used to plan houses, especially for multistory ones

• Like 1

I like the idea of adding a skill either Engineering or Architecture, and it goes up by building buildings, guard towers, ships (not boats. Has to be a corbita or larger), obelisks, pillars, etc.