Sign in to follow this  
kamoto

Glass

Not really nessisary but hear me out.

Thing that would come outa this would be more skills, items, building, resources

Buildings. Glory hole ( for melting, heating glass up) would make glass sheets, rods, glasses, bowls (iron/steel, bricks to build)

Greenhouse. Would make stacked dirt for farming eather double or triple depending on ql, but would require same actions as regular farming ( bricks or logs and glass sheets to make)

Items. Glass sheets- would make real windows as a upgrade, stained (dyed) glass, mirrors maby.

Glasses- as in fine china, pie bowls and a diff version of a jar. Able to make spyglasses ( loved them from before just hated had to be date to date to get), jars for holding flour and others with less decay than carrying.

Glass rods - could used for advanced traps, able to carry light further in mines, advanced prospecting. ( glass fences)

Maby even glass statues

Skills - glass making, greenhouse farming, baking, stain glassed, add a subskill for glass statues.

Resouces could be limestone that produce lime and some soda for every other or ? Action.

Not needed but what the heck...

• Like 1

I think people hypothesised burning kelp, which has no real use atm, for soda ash, then burning sand in the presence of soda ash.

i actually thru some sand in the forge yesterday just to see if i missed the add of melting it to glass:P i would like to see glass. other than my little glass flask

Not needed but what the heck...

+1 I think stained glass would look pretty good if you put it on a stone house imo.

• Like 1

Make your churches really churchy with stained glass windows :P

+1

Reasons for the +1 don't need to be listed, glass has many obvious benefits.

Edited by leaf

Another option with glass is to make glass display cases to place special items like rare weapons or high quality tools.

• Like 1

I'd love to have glass, but let's get one thing straight: Creating large uniform sheets of glass (solid window panes, statues, fences (what the heck?), display cases) requires tech much more advanced than what is generally available in Wurm, so that would be nonsensical to add. Cool to have a greenhouse maybe, but let's be serious here. Containers, leaded windows (smaller pieces held together) and other nice small items would be fine!

Thats the cool thing about wurm, nothing makes sence but everything works

How bout sand or iron molds for larger shapes or flat glass?

Edited by kamoto

Good point, in wurm, wurm logic is the greatest thing to find. Like when it rains inside of caves or horses walking through trees!

Big +1, Especially Mirrors.

I like the idea for mirrors, have it the only way to actually look at your character with the implementation of gear.

How would I know what the gear looks like on my character without asking a friend or logging in an alt?

Thats the cool thing about wurm, nothing makes sence but everything works

How bout sand or iron molds for larger shapes or flat glass?

Just because Wurm unintentionally manages to defy logic sometimes it doesn't mean we have to actively work towards more nonsense...

I disagree, Wurm is a great game, there is no reason why we shouldn't work towards a weirder Wurm, as weirdness is one of it's defining characteristics.

Just because Wurm unintentionally manages to defy logic sometimes it doesn't mean we have to actively work towards more nonsense...

Q. How dos huge spiders, flaming dogs, unicorns, dragons, and a 10 sec counter for a huge boat peice count as unittentional, not including all the magic one can do?

Not trying to start anything just asking.

To me a game is a fantasy, anythings poss, hence y glass would be cool to have

Soda (sodium carbonate) (15%) + lime (9%) + silica (sand) (70%) = the most common glass.

In the game you would probably want to use postassium carbonate instead of sodium because you can get potassium carbonate from potash. Potash in it's simplest terms is plant ashes boilded in water until all that remains is the ash.

You would have to come up with a limestone resource of course. Maybe make it part of mining just as salt is. But then I guess you could come up with the sodium carbonate the same way but why bother when it's much easier to make plant ashes.

Soda (sodium carbonate) (15%) + lime (9%) + silica (sand) (70%) = the most common glass.

You would have to come up with a limestone resource of course. Maybe make it part of mining just as salt is. But then I guess you could come up with the sodium carbonate the same way but why bother when it's much easier to make plant ashes.

Well maby have glass and fine glass that would require potash

Have reg glass as ur common and fine for all glasses and bowls ( fine china)

Like i was saying a limestone deposit could be dug or mined and have a 1 in 3 or 4 chance to get soda ( kinda like atitd 4) (( yeah its probly 400 lines of codes but ya know))

Well it might just be simpler to just dig sand and melt it which would create a glob of glass to be able to form, I think that I read it somewhere that that is what is currently being worked on or is an idea within Rolf's sights. Maybe the Dev blog but from what I read I have high hopes for glass in Wurm.

We could also have metal-g-strings, chainmail-bikini-armor and 10 meter-swords because it's a game and it's fantasy.

On 10/16/2012 at 1:57 AM, Bernd said:

We could also have metal-g-strings, chainmail-bikini-armor and 10 meter-swords because it's a game and it's fantasy.

Wow just wow, if thats what u really want then suggest it, maby ur fantasy is another game?

On 10/15/2012 at 6:00 PM, Shrimpiie said:

Well it might just be simpler to just dig sand and melt it which would create a glob of glass to be able to form, I think that I read it somewhere that that is what is currently being worked on or is an idea within Rolf's sights. Maybe the Dev blog but from what I read I have high hopes for glass in Wurm.

Did not know that, but the sand would be nice/cool idea rather than more codes to glitch