Sign in to follow this  
Wraithglow

Karma And Rewards

Ok so I haven't really thought this through so there's probably an obvious flaw with the suggestion, in which case I welcome and anticipate the immediate shooting down. But until then...

I think that karma and missions should be introduced hand-in-hand to the freedom servers. This is how I would work it:

Good quality missions (first step! I know epic has problems with this) get introduced which anyone can attempt. Preferably several different ones at the same time so people who want to work harder can complete a few every mission period or whatever.

Karma is awarded for completing a mission. I think this is already the case on epic?

Karma can then be used for the effects listed in the wiki (lighting up lamps in an area, teleporting corpse, and town portal) but also, if you really save up..... the christmas gifts!

And here I mean for large amounts of karma (deliberately not suggesting an amount here) you can get the gnome, or the fireworks, or some other aesthetic gift I have forgotten. and for LOTS of karma, you can get a spyglass or other gift that they really should have made craftable or money-sink a long time ago.

I am aware that doing this would devalue existing christmas gift items in the player market but to be honest, I don't think that matters because they were gifts not dividends for investing in the game. And especially with the spyglass, this is something that is crazy to have the mechanic in the game for and make it such a rare thing to have. Perhaps think of it as christmas gifts being a preview of a future feature, and you got to use it for x years before newer people did. I'd also like to point out I'm not suggesting EVERY christmas gift become available (here's looking at you, evil twig)

In anticipation of the inevitable comment "if you want missions, go to epic" - I don't think you should have to have a certain playstyle to get new features. Epic still has it's "epicness" draw in the form of the valrei board, mobs, and terraforming events (at least, it should do).

so... thoughts? *braces*

Edited by Wraithglow
  • Like 1

Actually gonna +1 this, I know a lot of people who set up a deed and everything, make it perfect, then get bored and sell up and move on. This could be an avenue down which they could pursue an interesting challenge and keep motivated. However, I would advise writing a whole new set of missions completely different to the Epic ones, to make them Freedom-relevant. No need to sacc items to a specific god to fuel their campaign on Valrei, I'd like to see the missions more productive such as plant x no. of y type of trees. This is something that is almost always helpful to the entire server, especially on Freedom. You could even include Kill 100 spiders as a mission, to make the server temporarily safer and provide motivation for players to clear up animal cap space

I like the idea, for the missions anyways; it would give people an insensitive to not sell their deeds and give them something to do instead of get bored of grinding skills all day/the missions will still be grinding different skills but at the same time it gives a reward. Also the Christmas gift idea I kind of like it, because I just joined last year and I don't have any of the Christmas gifts(I took a short break around Christmas and didn't realize there was a gift given out at that time). It would effectively drop all the prices on Christmas items which I don't really see as bad. BUT on the other hand, Christmas gifts can be consider as a privileged gift for older players; the longer you play the more gifts you can get, which I don't see nothing wrong with. Maybe instead of buying old gifts, when Santa comes, you can get a couple of the new gifts for like 20k+ karma a pop or something like that. Or maybe the Christmas gift bought from karma is different, like all the things are maxed at 50ql or they have a different name compared to the old items or even they are non-trade-able that way they can't be sold/the ones are still trade-able but at the same time the value might go down. So the old items could still be consider valuable but at the same time, new players can have access to some of the old gifts. Overall I consider adding missions to freedom a +1.

The Christmas items on wurm remind me of the ones on Runescape; The price of a party hat in runescape is worth a couple 100 usd last time I checked; its pretty crazy.

Edited by Roggeh

I welcome any reasonable idea that makes both Missions and the Karma system of rewards less of a lame duck that it is today on both freedom and epic. I like the idea of missions and karma being used as incentive for people to kill off horses they really don't need in exchange for karma, Especially Named horses. The same could be said about all the domesticated animals. Given an incentive to counter balance the incentive to accumulate or keep more could be part of a sustainable solution to freedoms animals pop cap and balance issues.

It would also i'd assume involve far less effort to put into place if he used to already existing christmas gifts as the prize pool. As for the valuation of the existing ones...like mentioned they were gifts not investment instruments with no guarantee of value of any kind at all, ever.

I have to agree this is a good idea. Like I told to Wraithglow, you type, I smile and nod. Epic elements could be brought to Freedom and it could work.

As long as Farwalkers are removed from the 'Christmas Gift' list, sure.

As long as Farwalkers are removed from the 'Christmas Gift' list, sure.

this is exactly what I was thinking of when i said "not every christmas gift" :)

Yeah missions are definitely gonna keep people playing. My heart is just throbbing with excitement whenever we build another pillar or once we're halfway done making 500 studded leather pants to sacrifice to Vynora. The day the community will be let in on designing the missions this might work. Until then ask yourself, do you really want a broken system introduced to your server

Edited by Wiro

Yeah missions are definitely gonna keep people playing. My heart is just throbbing with excitement whenever we build another pillar or once we're halfway done making 500 studded leather pants to sacrifice to Vynora. The day the community will be let in on designing the missions this might work. Until then ask yourself, do you really want a broken system introduced to your server

Good quality missions (first step! I know epic has problems with this)

covered this already.

So many good things could be transferred from Epic to Freedom. Epic does have some good elements that would be so good in Freedom. I was thinking Karma could be used to buy sleep bonus too, just that alone I think would prompt people to do missions and participate in them.