Sign in to follow this  
Eidolon

Changing Servers / Traveling Within A Cluster

Now, I'm sure this has been asked time and time again, and there are probably multiple threads about the topic... but I apparently suck at searching, and can't find any. So, here's another one. Apologies.

How does one move across the different servers?

I know there are Epic Portals to go from Freedom to Epic (and vice versa). I also know that Freedom and Epic are "alternate dimensions" of sorts, each governed by their own "laws or reality", and that upon first using said portals, the alternate-you starts back from zero.

I guess before I go further with all this, I should start by asking: are there only two servers, Freedom and Epic? Or does each map in both cluster count as a server of its own?

I'm presently on Deliverance, and have no particular interest in the Epic cluster, but I guess the following questions apply to Epic as well, in case someone sees this thread and is wondering what I've been wondering, though in regards to Epic.

How does one move about within a cluster?

I know one can use boats. And I know that in some cases, one can even swim (Inde/Deli... can you swim elsewhere?). Are there other ways? Intra-Cluster portals?

Are boats the only way...?

Which brings me to (from the Wurm Wiki's article on Ships):

* You cannot cross a server boarder on a boat that you don't own.

However, the warning message (You may not leave the server with this boat. You need to own it or be friend with the owner.) is somewhat misleading, as it implies friends can cross borders. That is incorrect at this time - you must be the owner.

Is this information accurate, or does the wiki need updating? I've heard of people getting lifts... how does this work?

I was under the impression that each "map" within a cluster was a server in itself, and thus I take the above to mean that you can't, say, sail from Deli to Exo with someone on your boat. If I was to travel with a friend, we would each need our own boat?

It could mean, I guess, the border between clusters... but I thought the clusters were wholly separate, with no way of bringing a character from one to the other, so that doesn't make sense either.

I'm rambling and not making much sense...

TL;DR

If my friend and I are in Deli and want to go visit Exo and Cele to hunt for a nice little corner of land to settle, what's the best/most efficient way of doing this, as relatively new players? (we're both Premium, and I have enough Mind Logic to command up to a Corbita, for whatever that's worth)

Thanks in advance for your help!

there is no portals between freedom servers,boats is the only way,and im pretty sure that msg about the boats its for the player comanding the boat and not the passengers and its about servers in the same cluster u cant sail to epic.

the easiest way for u and your friend would be to build or buy a sailboat and use this http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/64327-travel-map-with-links-to-each-map/

Ah! So it's nothing to do with passengers, but simply that only owners of the boat can be commanding it when crossing. That... actually makes a lot of sense.

And thank you for the link. I had an earlier one, but it didn't include Cele.

A follow-up question to this while I'm at it: so each "map" is, indeed, a separate server, which means that a single character could theoretically have a deed on each of the 5; It's not just one deed per cluster. Correct?