Sign in to follow this  
Garrath

Relating To Skills And Multistory Housing

Currently, when laying out a floorplan, the only skill taken into consider is carpentry. With the upcoming multistory housing, my suggestion is this:

Use a combination of carpentry and masonry to determine the maximum number of tiles/walls that are allowed in the structure.

Right now masonry has no role in construction really and I think it should. The realism factor for this would be the construction of the foundation and other structural elements that allow for taller/more complex buildings.

So say you have 50 carpentry and 50 masonry, you would have 100 building 'units' to construct with, keeping the same system of 1 'unit' per wall and floor tile.

What do you think?

What do you do when you set up a house plan?

You build a wood frame which clearly belongs to carpentry.

And why would you need masonry for multistory wood houses.

Anyways a limit for stonewalls(demanding on skill) would be a realistic options.

Example: a Master Manson can build up to 4 story's but everything above is to heavy and requires a wood to continue.

What do you do when you set up a house plan?

You build a wood frame which clearly belongs to carpentry.

And why would you need masonry for multistory wood houses.

Anyways a limit for stonewalls(demanding on skill) would be a realistic options.

Example: a Master Manson can build up to 4 story's but everything above is to heavy and requires a wood to continue.

Foundation.

Only foundation in wurm is the ground you set your house on.

But I think a skill like body control or mind logic should be used when making multistory houses to limit the number of floors people can make.

I actually think that masonry should be used to *layout* stone houses and carpentry should be used to *layout* wood houses. This carpentry frame for stone house layouts is just an easy way to code both wood and stone type structures and really carpentry has little to do with building stone houses. Since you must achieve 30 masonry to construct a stone house, the masonry skill should then be used for stone house *layouts* and the amount of tiles you can build would coincide with the same way wood house size is determined at that point.

Now I realize a lot of high skilled carpentery players would not like this change because their masonry is far surpassed by their carpentry skill; but that a 90 range carpenter can build a larger *stone house* than myself at 83 masonry skill does not seem *right* to me.

=Ayes=

Exactly Ayes, but beyond that what i'm trying to get across, or suggest, is combining the two skills when dealing with MULTISTORY buildings to determine the maximum size etc of the building. It doesn't matter whether the building is stone walled or wood walled. A stone walled building still requires wood framework, ie: floor joists, support beams etc. A wooden walled multistory building requires a stone (or in our day, cement) foundation.

In the game, a lot of this 'realism' is skipped, you slap a little wood frame on the dirt and build, which is unrealistic of course. My submission with the complex housing is to simulate a little realism by combining the two skills together to set the limits of what you can build. A 5 storey wooden house without a solid stone foundation is...preposterous.

The simple, single story housing could be left as is, kind of an...introductory level of housing. But if you want to make the much more complex and extravagent buildings, use both skills to determine the limit.

What are you defining as a foundation?

Flat area of stone/packed earth or structural (modern) foundation?

All wood building (9 stories) built at the end of the 11th century (repaired several times but still standing): Link

And for a stone tower example (built on a stone foundation): Link

Given enough time, resource and creativity, people build the damnedest things, even when others say they are impossible.

Edited by Hussars

Very nice finds Hussars, I like it.

The pagoda is the perfect example of what i'm talking about, it's a 9 storey full wooden building....built on a 4 foot thick stone base. If they built that on the dirt instead, how long would it have lasted. So, just like stone buildings require wood for flooring/supports etc, tall wood buildings require a stone structural base (in general).

Either way, the entire idea is to have both skills contribute to the limit of multistory buildings and to add some construction use for the masonry skill aside from 'you can build stone walls at 30 skill'.

To be fair, I'm fine with earth/dirt sills on a multistory structure, since off deed they do require upkeep, but it would be nice to have more structure design/construction need tied to masonry. Leave the 30 requirement for stone building, but I think mirroring the carpentry skill requirements for planning would be nice.

I understand this would be a huge change in the way some folks plan/build houses, but at 30 skill you can plan a 14 tile floor plan. So if you can build stone house walls, you can already plan a large house space.

Or de-link the multi-story housing from carpentry/masonry and have a new skill, Architect, which requires carp 15 and masonry 30 (same skill needs now to build stone buildings) to be unlocked. Skill gains from continuing/finishing structure walls, as per current masonry/carp skills now. So you still gain skill in the "base" skills/attributes, but now have a single skill that can be used to regulate multi-story structures specifically.

You can still build single story buildings using the old skills, but to add a floor.. need to bring in an Architect.

• Like 1

A permanent building constructed in a climate where the ground freezes and thaws requires a foundation if it is to stand for years. Otherwise the ground 'heaves' when it freezes and thaws eventually causing structural damage to the building through repeated rising and falling in freezing and thawing cycles. To prevent this, foundations of some type are made that reach below the freeze line or down to rock. Foundation can be wooden posts, rocks, brick and mortar, etc.

This is especially important with multi story buildings.

Edited by Sarcaticous

A permanent building constructed in a climate where the ground freezes and thaws requires a foundation if it is to stand for years. Otherwise the ground 'heaves' when it freezes and thaws eventually causing structural damage to the building through repeated rising and falling in freezing and thawing cycles. To prevent this, foundations of some type are made that reach below the freeze line or down to rock. Foundation can be wooden posts, rocks, brick and mortar, etc.

This is especially important with multi story buildings.

True, but seeing it is not an issue in game currently, introducing this need now would mean all existing structures would need to have this applied. Or they could not become multi story.

Don't you think we can skip this bit of realism?

You'll notice I never mentioned anything about the game. Merely stating real world facts since people were talking about foundations.