Sign in to follow this  
picommander

My Closest Touch Of Death

What seems like a possible start of a new thread isn't: I doubt anyone (me included) will ever come closer to death, next smallest step further is finish.

To make you better understand what happened here I should mention my somewhat unusual fighting style: I prefer to fight on feet, using height bonus from slopes instead of horses that I usually use only for longer journeys or trade runs. My weapon is a rare steel staff (ql50,ni89,fb70,c78) and recently I swapped to cloth (I do have 5 studded leather sets q70. WTS, anyone? :rolleyes:) Even though my cloth armour is still at low q50, hunting and moving feels so much nimbler and is just more fun, at least if you are living on the hills and don't like riding. Difference to studded leather is much greater than difference between studded and chain btw (I'll never understand why so many players prefer chain over studded, but that's another topic).

Attacking the hell hound would have been much safer if pulling him uphill into the range of my spirit templar, but this time I wanted to prove myself what goes in cloth and tried to do it alone. The hell hound unfortunately wasn't that kind of a sportsman and suddenly pulled an ugly surprise out of nowhere: a scorpion, that I either must have completely overlooked or suddenly has spawned next to us to turn that fight in favor to the hound who was almost finished at this point. At least I managed to slip down in panic, crossing a small water stripe and managed to reach a small artificial island that I knew from earlier fishing attempts (phew! watch my stamina and health :o)

GCwSa.jpg

The next scene already looks a bit friendlier, the hell hound is bleeding but I'm also far from healthy so I can't dare to finish him:

Ppfa8.jpg

Now follows an interesting part, where the scorp seemingly moved away, but stopped 2 times behind a tree and hiding there for a while. At this point I started to suspect some human hand behind this semi-intelligent behavior :P. Hiding behind a tree isn't quite easy with the shape of a scorpion, at least he did his best (here he tried to mimic some bushes, can see?):

A1SRl.jpg

And here the next tree. He is *not* just passing by, in both cases he stopped there for a while so it really looked deliberately. Awesome!

qlaGm.jpg

but now it's my turn (after at least 20 minutes of painful waiting for the refreshing healing ticks). When starting the fight he wasn't bleeding any more, but still wounded and so it was an easy pray. I made a mistake here, wasting precious time. Fortunately non fatal, can yo see it? :

3wxbY.jpg

And now to the scorp, this one scared me since it was the first time I took a scorp while in cloth armour and without any help. Scorp was in full health when the fight started:

Yhb3D.jpg

I win!

N8Oh4.jpg

Done. FS not quite 60, but soon:

xcvps.jpg

Thanks for watching, hope you enjoyed.

At last something else, less thrilling but much more beautiful. A screenshot from my deed that I made some days ago with valrei(?) partially covering sol:

Ixjsr.jpg

• Like 4

Nice post, These encounters are all random and everyone different. Over 4 years I have many of these and they keep rolling in. These are the things that make Wurm truely unique.

Clear, build and own the land!

Edited by zalifear

You have the worst hunting gear ive ever seen. How can you hunt like that and without a horse?

Grats on the new deed. I also fight only in cloth armor as I prefer to be nimble and quick. I use 2H weapons, aggressive stance, and I run away if things do not go well for me :P so the cloth helps there. One character is around 45ish FS and the other 70+ fs. I believe I dodge faster and swing a bit faster wearing the cloth, and pretty much my rule of thumb is to either finish it off fast or to run and heal and come back. I used to make my own cloth armor, sewing by the fireside at sunset after a day in the fields, but recently I invested in some high Q 80-90Q cloth armor (thanks to master tailors Jesslynn's mom on Deli, and FrankD on indy).

I am really curious to see what the combat animations might be like in Wurm 1.0, as that might also help me decide on whether to make a change in weapon type, as your steel staff has me very curious. I used to play a disciple (monk style fighting) in Vanguard and rather got addicted to the "style" of fighting with a 2H staff, so I am hoping there might be some good stuff in the visual perks with the new animations.

I'd rather have fun than be uber, so I would love to hear more about how that steel staff is working out for you. If good animations for staff are part of Wurm 1.0, I could well see myself giving a steel staff or 2H spear a try. I don't consider myself a warrior type, just a simple farmer capable of defending herself or the occasional newbie in need of aid. .

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I appreciate your choice of going against the grain and doing something different. For this I applaud you.

Personally, I'm crafting a steel spear. While my choice of armor is much different, I really like seeing someone doing their own thing...

Anyways, good show :)

As for your comment Brash, there was a RTS that I forget the name of... one of the trainable units was a spear weilder and was all fancy with his attacks cutting this way and that. I'd love to see those kinds of animations in Wurm.

Grats on the new deed. I also fight only in cloth armor as I prefer to be nimble and quick. I use 2H weapons, aggressive stance, and I run away if things do not go well for me :P so the cloth helps there. One character is around 45ish FS and the other 70+ fs. I believe I dodge faster and swing a bit faster wearing the cloth, and pretty much my rule of thumb is to either finish it off fast or to run and heal and come back. I used to make my own cloth armor, sewing by the fireside at sunset after a day in the fields, but recently I invested in some high Q 80-90Q cloth armor (thanks to master tailors Jesslynn's mom on Deli, and FrankD on indy).

I am really curious to see what the combat animations might be like in Wurm 1.0, as that might also help me decide on whether to make a change in weapon type, as your steel staff has me very curious. I used to play a disciple (monk style fighting) in Vanguard and rather got addicted to the "style" of fighting with a 2H staff, so I am hoping there might be some good stuff in the visual perks with the new animations.

I'd rather have fun than be uber, so I would love to hear more about how that steel staff is working out for you. If good animations for staff are part of Wurm 1.0, I could well see myself giving a steel staff or 2H spear a try. I don't consider myself a warrior type, just a simple farmer capable of defending herself or the occasional newbie in need of aid. .

The reason people pick chain is because then they can get away with fighting a hellhound and a scorpion with 80% of their health intact afterwards, and take on 5 more monsters without having to heal or worry about puny stuff like death.

Edited by Judicator

Wow I can't imagine fighting in cloth i've tried it afew times to compare the various armor types. It's just...not great. But sounds like fun to be sure which is what wurms all about :)

The reason people pick chain is because then they can get away with fighting a hellhound and a scorpion with 80% of their health intact afterwards, and take on 5 more monsters without having to heal or worry about puny stuff like death.

Does the steel staff hit harder than a medium maul?

It looks like it has a similar swing timer.

Wow I can't imagine fighting in cloth i've tried it afew times to compare the various armor types. It's just...not great. But sounds like fun to be sure which is what wurms all about :)

Does the steel staff hit harder than a medium maul?

It looks like it has a similar swing timer.

Edited by picommander

You have the worst hunting gear ive ever seen. How can you hunt like that and without a horse?

honestly, just having chain and a lms would've enbabled anyone to kill those with ease even with lower fs and whatnot.

though i do think you're a boss for the gear you use though XD

um i think you should take into consideration that cloth armor has no advantages if you intend on killing everything you see and/or are on a horse

I cant see why yo udont use a horse? Mobs rarely attack it and you wont have to worry about your speed and you would over all spend less time bandaging yourself.

I cant see why yo udont use a horse? Mobs rarely attack it and you wont have to worry about your speed and you would over all spend less time bandaging yourself.

Simply cause I'm living on top of a hill and many mobs are on slopes that no horse would ever go.

That's also another reason why I prefer cloth: when things go wrong I usually escape uphill, not like in the sequence I posted above.

Sometimes I get a visit from a friend with a very fast horse. But on my hill I can often outrun him. I doubt this would be the same in chain.

Technically his horse is faster of course, but my hill isn't very "horse friendly". ;)

Sometimes I open a fight while sliding down the hill where only climbing mode would stop and control the slide.

It's risky but possible, with horses no way. The easier mobs I even fight in climb mode. Try that with a horse... :P

Parts of my deed are even unaccessible for my bulls.

If you wanna tell me now it's all a matter of proper paving, then read my answer to Brash.

My paving skill is somewhat around 4 and that's for a reason.

I know it's unusual, inefficient and surely not meant to play this way but exactly the way I want to play this game.

Simply cause I'm living on top of a hill and many mobs are on slopes that no horse would ever go.

That's also another reason why I prefer cloth: when things go wrong I usually escape uphill, not like in the sequence I posted above.

Sometimes I get a visit from a friend with a very fast horse. But on my hill I can often outrun him. I doubt this would be the same in chain.

Technically his horse is faster of course, but my hill isn't very "horse friendly". ;)

Sometimes I open a fight while sliding down the hill where only climbing mode would stop and control the slide.

It's risky but possible, with horses no way. The easier mobs I even fight in climb mode. Try that with a horse... :P

Parts of my deed are even unaccessible for my bulls.

If you wanna tell me now it's all a matter of proper paving, then read my answer to Brash.

My paving skill is somewhat around 4 and that's for a reason.

I know it's unusual, inefficient and surely not meant to play this way but exactly the way I want to play this game.

its a matter of digging your deed flat, as any deed should be, period. i also doubt "things [would] go wrong" as often if you used proper protection such as an lms and chain armor

I disagree. Flat deeds are ugly (from a Freedom standpoint) and much easier to raid (from a PvP standpoint).

Props to you for playing the way you want. I never went that far but dead flat paved deeds drive me nuts. I always try to live in the hills and merely sculpt the landscape. Not many people have the personal restraint to keep the game hard, most grind away and then complain it's too easy.

I never get why some people insist on claiming that somebody else is playing a sandbox game the wrong way.