Sign in to follow this  
Brunel

Monastery Or Moria?

Monastery or Moria?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should I build a Monastery or Moria?

• Monastery
    • Moria

Hi all,

I don't know if anyone remembers me from a while back, but I've decided to rejoin Wurm after a brief spell of inactivity.

I'm looking to begin a new project and I'd like some help on deciding which it will be.

1) Monastery.

I'm quite keen to create an authentic copy of a dark-ages monastery.Perhaps a small stone chapel on an extremely inhospitable site, with much more focus on aesthetic beauty rather than practicality. Something that people can make an arduous pilgrimage to visit, before their breath is taken away by the purity of the little settlement.

2) Moria.

I've always thought it would be fantastic to make an entirely underground settlement, founded on Tolkien's Khazad-dûm. I'm thinking of something with huge chasms, vaulted ceilings, giant columns, anti-chambres, underground lakes, burning torches, suits of armour, forge rooms, stone statues, the Bridge of Khazad-dûm, the Endless Stair, Balin's Tomb and, of course, Durin's Bane. I would probably not even deed the settlement, instead I would simply have a rock mine-door at the entrance. This would make it resemble the Doors of Durin, that are concealed but open for those who know their secret. There would be absolutely no evidence of the settlement from above ground.

So, what do people think I should create?

If anyone is intrigued by these suggestions and would like to join me, then please feel free to! The more the merrier :)

Edited by Brunel

I like your Moria idea, just be aware that anyone can knowingly or unknowingly put a deed on top of your entire Moria complex, which would be a shame.

If you start high and then mine the floor down you could make some really high ceilings. :P

your moria plans would unfortunately suffer from terrible lighting no matter what you do, so I would go with the monastery :)

Moria plan sounds great. But like wraith said, lighting sucks, I think the monastery is the better choice. If you do go Moria should make sheds every so many tiles to prevent others from deeding.

That Monastery would fit well on that mountain where Coniunctis Viribus once was on the wild/chaos server.

Enough space to build and not too easy to reach.

Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

Yeah, I couldn't decided whether I should do the monastery on Epic or Freedom Isles. I liked the idea of it being on Epic, available for all to rest in and take sanctuary from whomever was chasing them. But it would be difficult to avoid the inter-Kingdom politics and I think it would eventually be raided by someone. Then again, thats quite realistic of what monasteries probably had to put up with.

Ah I see what you mean about the deeding issues. While I'm loathe to put a deed down, because it reveals the position, it could become problematic. My lighting, aside from poor visibility, would also need constant replenishment without a deed over it. Is the lighting issue recent? Because I last played about a year ago, and it was bearable then. And yes, digging downwards to make huge ceilings is the plan :) I would try to recreate as much of the films as possible.

That Monastery would fit well on that mountain where Coniunctis Viribus once was on the wild/chaos server.

Enough space to build and not too easy to reach.

It's slightly exposed there though, it can be seen from a fair distance because it is exposed on the mountain side. I think a valley could be a better location, although there's then the risk of being in an animal-trap.

It's slightly exposed there though, it can be seen from a fair distance because it is exposed on the mountain side.

That is part of the reason why i suggest that spot. Another reason to fit in with the idea of the described monastery in the OP.

The shape of hillside and mountaintop give the most possibilities i can think of - haven't seen a better spot for such a project (Bearback mountain on JKH would have been better, but that server doesn't exist anymore).