Sign in to follow this  
Alyeska

Hot Food Cooking Made More Interesting

Hot food cooking is a pretty in-depth skill as it is now. There are many, many, many recipes and subskills involved.

Currently, there are many food items produced by hot food cooking or another cooking skill, but, other than casseroles and meals, hardly any of them are ever made or consumed. I find this dissapointing. We have recipes ranging from cakes, to porridge, to delicious soups and tuna caseroles.

What I would like to suggest is "cravings" (okay, maybe not the exactly right word, but I simply don't know the proper word so bear with me :P) A craving would be much like a mission. It randomly appears and randomly goes away. For example, your character could suddenly get a craving for a blueberry jam sandwich, or some nice hot soup. It would appear with a message in event "your stomach grunts at you and you're really hungry for a <food item> now.". The food item would be a completely random item picked from the database. It would be great if the databse could even recognize ingredients, such as "nettle soup". If that's not doable, just any random food item would work - wether its a little herring or blueberry, or a strawberry cake or meal.

Eating your craving item will not lower your nutrition, but it will fill your food bar by however amount you eat. Ontop of that, eating your craved food will also give you +20 KARMA. as it stands right now, karma is near impossible to gain on the freedom isles but doing a mission on epic gives you 1000(?) karma, so I don't think it's a huge thing to ask, just a little reward to make the immense food system in wurm more desirable.

TL;DR version;

Character can get cravings

Eating craved item gives +20 karma

No nerfs, only small bonus

Hopefully makes more use of the depth of the cooking system.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 13

+1 if Rolf introduces bacon.

"you get a craving for a bacon sandwich"

leaves keyboard and goes to kitchen.................

1+

Also, every character could have "favourite food", which gives a bit more food and nutrition when eaten. (like 1% per second)

That craving thing could also work like this, so if you eat what your char's wants, you get karma and a bit more food/nutrition (1%), but if you eat something else, it gives less than normal ammount, for example 1% less. This system could work with different foods, or even with different foods with different ingredients.

Of course, this may need some tuning, as 1% here and there won't affect very much.

+1, Interesting idea, it would also be nice if it asked for meals with certain ingredients instead of it just asking for a meal, but I see you already mentioned that with the Nettle soup.

I can see some problem with "random". When highlander has random craving for meal from some fish, or wild men from desert want random meal from foraged/botanized item. But otherwise big

+1, great idea. Tiny bonus for optional action, I like it.

+1

Hot food cooking definately could be expanded for more fun. You could even have master chefs who make wonderful dishes of rare items that give stamina bonus. Green mushroom soup.

Edited by Sarcaticous

From a previous post I made.

"Cook food using a huge range of ingredients."

This is just hugely decieving, no question about it..I've seen MUCH better, Ashen Empires is a good example. It has easily twice the recipes and all offer value to the player when made (And oddly a LOT of the same ingredients). I go to Ashen to cook, purely because it's actually fun, interesting and has good variety.

Absolutely, you can cook with a range of ingredients, sadly what ISN'T available is a huge range of useful food. Cooking in wurm is shameful as so much more could be done. Endless posts have been suggested and ignored.

I've come across countless nublets and adopted many who find out that while they can make several items, few offer any nutritional of value. Time was taken to code dishwater, yet how many times have players asked for pies? Pancakes? Cheese biscuits? I myself could come up with another 75 recipes with just the items ingame that we have now and I bet most players could come up with 50 in 1-2 hours (prolly a lot faster). So many ingredients have little to no value what-so-ever. Parsely anyone?

As much as it pains me.... +10 for Alyeska

Edited by kajmir
  • Like 2

This is the biggest thing keeping me from fully immersing myself in Wurm. To me this game was meant to be a "hermit" game. You build cottage or small city, and you settle in. You set up a farm. Tree farm. Go fishing, and in the future I'm sure honey and other items will be implemented.

Yet... there's no reason to. As it is just going out and grabbing some meat from the nearest dead animal, and cooking that up suffices (throw in a few random ingredients). This is such a huge downer. Why do I bother squezzing all my blueberries and strawberries? Why do I make anything for that matter?

I'd want a change to cooking before multistory houses, honestly. So much of the game focuses around food.

For example:

No one bothers with pigs or chickens.

Edited by sweatygopher

In another thread on this HFC improvement, I posted a relatively lengthy post with a more elaborate suggestion, which sort of encapsulates cravings. I thought I'd crosslink here as well, as I think it is relevant.

Hot food cooking is a pretty in-depth skill as it is now. There are many, many, many recipes and subskills involved.

Currently, there are many food items produced by hot food cooking or another cooking skill, but, other than casseroles and meals, hardly any of them are ever made or consumed. I find this dissapointing. We have recipes ranging from cakes, to porridge, to delicious soups and tuna caseroles.

This

Great idea! it be nicer if we can "rename" our cook meals so we know how long it last or when it is damaged :wub: ?