Sign in to follow this  
Wox

Horses Body

Horse body style!  

137 members have voted

1. 1. So how do we want the body mass on the horses to be in the game?

• American Quarter Horse
    • Arabian
    • Clydesdale
    • Dutch Warmblood
    • Friesian Horse
    • Fjord Horse
    • Holsteiner
    • Tennessee Walking Horse
    • Paso Fino
    • Thoroughbred

Poll closed and thread locked, thanks everybody for voting and for your comments.

The horse will be of Friesian type, and probably in the future we will add others for the different traits and maybe even for gender.

So how do we want the body mass on the horses to be in the game?

horsebreeds.jpg

I voted for Fjord horse because I think thats how horses looked like in 1026 in real life in Scandinavia.

(Since I don't see a picture resembling those horses we had dragging around cargo carts before cars were invented).

I would would love to see more than one type of horse ingame. With different roles, like speed, strength and endurance on top of traits. So you could have warhorses, Horses specifically for carts etc etc.

Anyway though I voted thoroughbred.

• Like 9

I went with the Friesian,it looks like a horse that could pull a heavy wagon or you would ride into battle with.

That said a few diffrent body types would make breeding real interesting.

• Like 1

I would would love to see more than one type of horse ingame. With different roles, like speed, strength and endurance on top of traits. So you could have warhorses, Horses specifically for carts etc etc.

Anyway though I voted thoroughbred.

+1

• Like 1

fjord, holsteiner and paso fino would be my guesses on how horses should look like ingame ;) the thing is that smaller horses with strong legs are often used for carrying heavy weights and drag carts.

but large and slim horses are used for riding ;) so if we wanted to be realistically we would need cold and hot blooded horses

edit: i agree that the frisian has a bit of both

Edited by Miretta

Got to agree we need more than one body type. We use them for hauling, and for riding, you don't use the same horse for both, unless you are wearing plate armor. Time to stop having a single, cookie cutter model. BTW, these are all modern horses, what breeds were in existence 1000 years ago?

Only if they walk like the Dutch Warmblood in that picture

Edited by Cornchips

Friesian. A large part of me really REALLY wants the Fjord horse, as I would really love for the game to have a very strong Scandanavian - Viking accent to reflect its origins from Sweden. I'd love to see the game filled with pickled herrings and lingonberry jam, lutisk and sausage, Rune Stones, viking longships (which the Knarr represents), cross country skiing and long hard winters. That said, I also gave a thought to what new players might think, and I suspect a lot of them wouldn't "get" the lovely Fjord horse and would gripe about it "not looking like a real horse" to no end. I ended up voting for

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friesian_horse

Ancestors of the modern Friesians were used in medieval times to carry knights to battle. In the 12th and 13th centuries....

Alva113.jpg

because it has a muscular look I would expect in a medieval workhorse, at the same time it has the look of a powerful battlehorse that might appeal to those who have a need to look powerful and heroic, it still has strong northern European roots. It does not look too modern or "fancy pantsy" and I think bridges both the authenticity lovers, and the ones after a more "fantasy" style horse. Although Friesians are normally black in color, I think we can take some liberations with coloration since the Wurm variety are only "influenced" by the breed and not actual "true" Friesian horses.

Some lovely ideas here for the horse's animations:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY6lEvX36gk

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I think they could implement the top 3 horses and make at least 3 different models.....

We did have a talk earlier today about having different models for different traits, but we will probably go for one model to start with.

• Like 1

When I was a kid my neighbor who was a dairy farmer had two Friesian to pull loads. Rather large and very strong but gentle and friendly. But, not exactly your riding horse unless you are wearing plate armor.

For an all round horse Holsteiner would be a good pick. Can be used for farming, wagons/carts and riding.

Edited by Sarcaticous

If I gotta vote for just one, Friesian. Actually, give that horse as is in black some bits of war etched plate armor and some flames coming off its mane, tail, and hooves, and you got a wicked hell horse.

I am voting for the Friesian.

It looks like it can pull a large cart, can carry you a long distance (even if you are heavy armored and the horse is barded), and has the Endurance to survive the rough scandinavian climate.

Some of the other Horses look like modern racing/jumping horses and from my view they dont fit into a medieval Scandinavia.

I don't care really what one you use but the horses are the most important part of the game as far as animals go so take your time and get them right.

I went with the Friesian,it looks like a horse that could pull a heavy wagon or you would ride into battle with.

That said a few diffrent body types would make breeding real interesting.

I absolutely love friesian horses. They're both used for heavy work aswell as for riding, can be used for pretty riding aswell as battle. Pretty much an all-round horse, much like our wurmian horses :D The place where I got my (friesian) dog from also bred them, they are magnificent to see.

We did have a talk earlier today about having different models for different traits, but we will probably go for one model to start with.

I think we're looking at this the wrong way. Instead of the current view of breeds we should have body types akin to what was qualified in the middle ages. That would give the game 4-5 body types:

Destrier: These were the war horses used by knights. Would be a big muscular horse, fit for battle, would be given to horses with a predominance of combat related traits (Like Tough bugger and Fight fiercely).

Palfrey: These were the ultimate ridding horses used by nobles. Would be a less muscular body type, similar to the Tenesse Walking horse, would go for speed traits (although admitedly these horses were't used to gallop real fast, but for long travel (which is where we use speed traited horses...)

Draft Horse: These were the Work Horses used for carts and such. Body type is closer to the Clydsdale. (probably be attached to traits like carry more, strong body, strong legs).

Unbred/Wild Horse: I'd give these a round up look like the Friesian or the Fjord Horse.

Skinny/diseased type: For horses with a prevelance of bad traits. Would look like a skinny horse, bad legs and such.

Of course this is just a rough idea, it could also be done by creating a "Normal" model (the wild horse) then adding different parts according to the trait(s) (something like having equipment showing) but this would be too specific and would deny one of the advantages of having high AH - seeing the traits, because if specific changes would be shown with different body parts, would be easy to infer the trait set.

I prefer the overall change and leaving the specific set be checked by examining the horse. Of course this option also carries with it a heavier code change to specify wich traits influence which body type, and how its wheighed.

• Like 1

Looks like Friesian is in the lead..here is one in battle. Just make sure the tail and mane is not to long i have seen pics were they seem excessive to me.

fujc2.jpg

Edited by Kegan

I think we're looking at this the wrong way. Instead of the current view of breeds we should have body types akin to what was qualified in the middle ages. That would give the game 4-5 body types:

Destrier: These were the war horses used by knights. Would be a big muscular horse, fit for battle, would be given to horses with a predominance of combat related traits (Like Tough bugger and Fight fiercely).

Palfrey: These were the ultimate ridding horses used by nobles. Would be a less muscular body type, similar to the Tenesse Walking horse, would go for speed traits (although admitedly these horses were't used to gallop real fast, but for long travel (which is where we use speed traited horses...)

Draft Horse: These were the Work Horses used for carts and such. Body type is closer to the Clydsdale. (probably be attached to traits like carry more, strong body, strong legs).

Unbred/Wild Horse: I'd give these a round up look like the Friesian or the Fjord Horse.

Skinny/diseased type: For horses with a prevelance of bad traits. Would look like a skinny horse, bad legs and such.

Of course this is just a rough idea, it could also be done by creating a "Normal" model (the wild horse) then adding different parts according to the trait(s) (something like having equipment showing) but this would be too specific and would deny one of the advantages of having high AH - seeing the traits, because if specific changes would be shown with different body parts, would be easy to infer the trait set.

I prefer the overall change and leaving the specific set be checked by examining the horse. Of course this option also carries with it a heavier code change to specify wich traits influence which body type, and how its wheighed.

interesting idea. If we could breed diffrent types of horse breeds for diffrent purposes, would expand breeding a bit, and make it more than just "get ur 5 speed horses here" kind of thing as the breeder's endgame.

Friesian looks pretty cool and most alround. The Fjord is a Norwegian horse, it would fit nicely into Wurm as well. But my vote goes to Friesian anyway because it looks better, and more of a challenge for Wox ;)

I made this suggestion before, but here again:

The new skeleton models you use now should allow for partial scaling, like longer legs, wider hoofs, stronger shoulders and what not, depending on traits. That would be the best option to dynamically represent different races. You might need to add additional traits though.

But for starters I voted for the Friesian, it looks awesome and fits all purposes. (plus my aunt got two (; )