Sign in to follow this  
Jochim

General Improvement Ideas

I do believe you'll find a vast majority of the senor players disagreeing with a good portion of this list. Some of the ease to use interfacing options are viable, however most of the other game aspects concerns will probably be disagreed to.

Wurms is a backwards game. Simply because it doesn't have or do everything like "Every other game out there."

Another thing to remember is that this game runs on Java. With that being said, its a pretty good game for running on Java.

It is a timefest ~ grindfest whichever way you want to look at it.

No I asked for the current system of 0-9 to be untied from toolbelts.

Edited by Hussars
  • Like 1

You want a system that operates in the same capacity as the tool belt (graphical or not [i.e. system defined/user definable hot keys]) that performs the same function, without the need to make or buy it in-game.

So unless I'm mistaken in my understanding or you point (which is very possible), Yes, this is what you are asking for, just in a more round-a-bout manner.

Edited by Jochim

First of all let me say its always with the fresh view of the new player, like you mentioned we get blind with the flaws some times :)

I was into getting rid of the activate: feature all together in favour of something new. However there was some problems with my suggestion. Maybe you have some new fresh ideas how it should be done more practically? http://forum.wurmonl...id-of-activate/.

The toolbelt I made years ago when I started out as a band aid to the activate problem, really...

First of all let me say its always with the fresh view of the new player, like you mentioned we get blind with the flaws some times :)

I was into getting rid of the activate: feature all together in favour of something new. However there was some problems with my suggestion. Maybe you have some new fresh ideas how it should be done more practically? http://forum.wurmonl...id-of-activate/.

The toolbelt I made years ago when I started out as a band aid to the activate problem, really...

Your suggestion looks simple on the surface but seems like it'd be a major overhaul to do it properly.

The easiest method for the player would be to show all actions you have the tools to complete when right clicking an item or tile, and trying to use the current activated item or the highest QL tool for the job. The game already does this but displays options for tool-less or the current active tool's options only. It also makes some sense, if I want to farm a tile I already know I want to use a rake, making me select the rake is slightly pointless.

The problem with this method is activation would still be necessary to create items from specific QL materials. Some people will be angry because it takes "complexity" out of the game, I'd say that the original system is complexity for the sake of complexity and doesn't add anything to the game.

It's fairly late, I'll think on it more and hopefully respond with other alternatives later.

To clarify, since my previous post seems to have been taken in a different vein than intended.

I was not suggesting you wanted Ctrl/Alt style quick bars. Only that you wanted a UI "hot key" or "graphic UI slot" style function decoupled from an in-game item. Either by way of a graphic element (like the tool belt currently provides) or an expanded "hot key" system. The only place I can find that might have lead to this was when I quoted your reference to them here. Taken from a different point of view I can see how it could be taken to say or even just to imply this. I'll be more aware of that in the future.

To further clarify, I'm not saying the current system is the end all-be all of the MMO (or any other) universe, only that this is the system we have currently. While Zcul has stated it was intended as more of an adhesive strip solution, it does actually make sense from a certain point of view.

With the tool belt's slots tied to QL, I think of the increased QL not being "magically allows you to use more of those already attached hooks by adding leather pieces" but reworking it to actually add more of those "hooks". For example, I have tool belts in real life I've done this to myself. By way of leather strips and in some cases patches, I've added pockets and loops to them for specific things. On the flip side, would also explain the loss of ql losing slots, as in the added pieces just fell off (btw, a ball hammer to the foot hurts - a lot. lol). Maybe because of this, it makes it less "magical" to me and more about skill usage, but it comes back to an individual's world view/mindset I guess. Neither is wrong, just a difference in experiences and perspectives, and taken from the other side, I can see your view on how it can present a "magical" element.

The suggestions offered in my posts were just that, suggestions on ways to address some of your immediate issues. As I've said elsewhere, I'm not part of Code Club, I'm not a volunteer rep in any way (CA/CM/GM), I was just attempting to provide options that might work for you until either the system is changed, Wurm corrupts your soul and it starts to make a perverse sense, or you stop playing (which I personally still feel is the worst possible outcome unless you just cannot stand the game).

I may like the system as it is, not because I'm "blinding myself" to them, but because of them. It's the quirks that make this a fun and interesting game to me. I'm sure we've all played a lot of MMO's/computer/console games, but I cannot think of one that both frustrated me like this one does and still draws me back in. I've found work arounds that work for me, and in the theme of the game don't break my immersion.

But again, we all have different feelings on what is fun, and how we'd like to see the game (any game) work. My hope is that as many people as possible find what does work for them to enjoy as much of this gem as possible.

Again, best wishes to you and if I can offer help in-game, always feel free to let me know.

UI:

-A search function for the inventory. It's easy to lose stuff in there, ideally it would filter items as you entered each character. Answer: see EVE Online, awesome inventory system.

-Remove the toolbelt system/Start with a 50QL toolbelt. Activating items through the inventory is unwieldy and just feels bad, removing a key piece of usability from the beginning of the game doesn't strike me as beneficial to anyone. Answer: Originally you got the tool slots even if you didn't have a belt, but they decided to change it. I do agree with you. I'd rather see leather working improved with thins like: lighter and collapsible containers, animal saddle bags, smaller portable version of bulk bins. Leather armor is poor in wurm because being quick and evading/dodging in combat isn't a viable option. Further, its all about tank style damage reduction.

-Key mapping UI screen. Binding keys through console commands is not the hallmark of a modern game, a UI for binding keys to actions should not be difficult to create and speaks a lot about the quality of a game.

-Combine some Key Binding actions. While binding multiple actions to the same key can get out of control, combining some preset actions would be nice. Having "FINISH" and "IMPROVE" on the same key wouldn't make the game any easier. This would free up other keys for the remaining actions.

Answer: standard action combined with a simple one action queue and a last action is the way to go.

-More intuitive categories for item creation. Having everything under "Miscellaneous" isn't a good system. I'd like to see weapon and tool components put into their respective categories at least. Alternatively items could be grouped by their skill or what they're used for.

Answer: Miscellaneous categories need to be removed. They create and unfinished look and are way to long in some cases. The community needs to put together a questionnaire to get an idea on how the catagories should be reorganes, choose the most popular configurations, and let folks vote for the final option

-Improvements to Item combining. Combine without activating. It's frustrating to have to deactivate my small iron anvil to combine two iron lumps it takes unnecessary time and doesn't add anything. Combine in container. I shouldn't have to move things to my inventory to combine them. Again it does not add any functionality but irritates players. Answer: I too want to be able to work with things besides whats just inside inventory. I'd also like it if we could combine more then 64 items into a single bundle.

I don't accept the idea that Wurm is about getting chased and killed by spiders. I love the idea of having the freedom to choose your own path and feel this game could benefit greatly from further perusing this. I'd prefer a system where you can either fight stuff or just ignore fighting PvE. Unfortunately you pretty much are forced to become a fighter if you ever plan to go adventuring. Recent changes like mobs attacking horses have undermined the efforts of players like myself who trained up skill in hopes of being able to ignore stupid fighting. I'd like to see more staged fighting areas that are designed with specific skill levels in mind (make sure players can't claim these with deeding).

Edited by Jochim

I was confused by your comment on combining some key binds, it seems like you were referring to the action queue as opposed to key binding options.

It was only one senescence and the concept is kinda complex. My bad for assuming you can read minds. I have talked about it many times here on this forum. As an example:

1. You double click your shovel to use it (make it active).

2. Game automatically sets an action key with dig. This key could be anything but I most like left mouse button.

Either:

3a. Click left button to dig.

3b. Use right button to open the menu and choose a different action. Then, the game updates your action key with that. The action key will stay this way till you make another tool active or choose a different action from the right button menu.

I think the whole key bind system is redundant and just makes the game less intuitive. Further, If you know the proper tool to use then for the most part that should be good enough. It is better then the old mouse over to item and double click but can still benefit form further refinement.

Repeat last action is sort of what is going on thier. If we could expand it a little further for creation and do this: use last tool on last resource and make last item. That would let us make one brick and then just keep pushing the last action button to make more, yes no more navigating silly randomized menus.

Reply to combat: I don't want to take combat away from others, that would be bad. What I would like to see is a way for those who don't like fighting to ignore it and a way for those who like combat to be challenges with such.

The current inventory system is fine. Sure you could add a search function, wouldn't hurt, but I have played a year now and I think the toolbelt is good enough as far as quickbars goes. Finding the right tool is kind of needed sometimes, if you have several shovels with different ql, enchants etc. How should the game be able to guess which one to use if you didn't choose it. Selecting an item could be made easier, I often have to double click 1-3 times on an item before it gets selected (even when there is no lag).

+ 1 to joedobo's last action button, that would be helpful.

Another thing that could be added is exra buttons in UI for the default actions of you currently selected tool. When you select a tool, a button with an icon is displayed on the HUD, clicking the button makes that action the selected current action (or last action in joedobo's idea). Last action could be bound to a key also, so if for example I wanted to dig I click the shovel in inventory, click the Dig button in UI and then hit space on the keyboard to dig. there could be preset default actions so I didn't actually even have to choose dig, because it was default, but if I wanted to pack dirt I would have to choose it.

The default action could differ depending on your current mouse target. So,for imping with a tool I could choose the tool, hover the mouse over the item to imp and hit space and it would sharpen, carve or whatever is the default action.

Edited by Torgrim