Sign in to follow this  
darthryan

Skill Grind Spoilers!

None of this was ever accurate or very helpful. 

See OR's thread: 

Edited by darthryan
bad info should not be stickied
  • Like 8

Okay, copied+fixed some of the formatting with this thread since the forum update broke it and the original poster isn't active anymore.

Could I get this stickied, please? I'll continue to fix things(links) and add any updates people care to share.

• Like 1

This is absolutely genius. Real experienced grinders speaking from their personal experiences will definitely help those looking to boost their skills across the board. This is definitely deserving of a sticky.

It was my intention to post this updated topic, but to be honest things in RL has prevented me from doing so.

Pinned.

Please remove rope traps from the ropemaking grind there, they are non-impable. Net traps are the only way to grind ropemaking by imping. The other is spamming actually ropes/bow strings.

• Like 3

Like posted in another thread, weaponsmithing should be done with wooden spears - you suffer no restrictions for CoC (in smithing you can't use CoC water) and it is easy and portable. One downside is logs cannot be combined (for CoC) whereas lumps can.

For woodcutting if your only goal is high QL logs then by all means use a high QL hatchet to cut the trees down. If you want lots of high QL logs then use a low QL hatchet so that you will gain hatchet skill. Your grind will be much slower but your high QL trees/logs much more frequent due to a higher hatchet skill.

On the WS/spears front:

Longspears can be put in a forge and heated to cause them to lose quality. In this way you can grind to any skill level without having to make lots of items - just 'reset' the quality down to (skill-5) or some similar number whenever it gets too high to easily imp.

Could the paragraphs of text be turned into spoilers? So its more compact and you can open sections you require.

Use [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] without the space in between the brackets and the word though ofc.

Edited by Ruger
  • Like 1

Locksmithing:

1-25: Make key molds. Dig yourself 200 clay. Combine into 3 large lumps of 40kg ea. Using a high Circle of Cunning(CoC) enchanted key on the three lumps will queue three actions. It will take roughly 4-5 hours of sleep bonus depending on your CoC cast to obtain 25 locksmithing.

25-50: Make Lock picks. Combine iron into 3 large lumps. Using a small anvil with high CoC on the iron lump stack will queue an action for each lump. It will take roughly 5-6 hours of sleep bonus to obtain 50 locksmithing.

Total Time from 1-50 locksmithing: 9-11 hours of sleep bonus.

Note(Thanks MrGary): You can only cast coc on copper key copies, not iron keys. Also I found for making the key molds, up until 20 locksmithing it always gave skill for successful creation, so use the highest ql key you can use for minimal amounts of failures.

Edited by Ruger

Locksmithing:

1-25: Make key molds. Dig yourself 200 clay. Combine into 3 large lumps of 40kg ea. Using a high Circle of Cunning(CoC) enchanted key on the three lumps will queue three actions. It will take roughly 4-5 hours of sleep bonus depending on your CoC cast to obtain 25 locksmithing.

25-50: Make Lock picks. Combine iron into 3 large lumps. Using a small anvil with high CoC on the iron lump stack will queue an action for each lump. It will take roughly 5-6 hours of sleep bonus to obtain 50 locksmithing.

Total Time from 1-50 locksmithing: 9-11 hours.

Note: You can only cast coc on copper key copies, not iron keys. Also I found for making the key molds, up until 20 locksmithing it always gave skill for successful creation, so use the highest ql key you can use for minimal amounts of failures.

Natural substances:

When collecting animal parts, you will end up with a lot of animal fat as well. Combine fat with string to make candles, or with garlic to make farmers salve.

Mining

Surface mining provides more skill over time than horizontal mining, if you can find a flat area of rock it is a nice way to start. It gives less shards over time though.

Edited by Keldun

Mining

Surface mining provides more skill over time than horizontal mining, if you can find a flat area of rock it is a nice way to start. It gives less shards over time though.

As someone who grinded to 93 mining on rock before switching to veins, I disagree with this statement at any notable level of skill. Purely for starting off mining, I dunno.

• Like 1

OK, I checked quickly: 45 skill 10ql pick, Iron and rock give me the same ticks. The surface ticks are 10% higher. Frequency of ticks is more difficult to test objectively, but I'm pretty sure about my last result.

Forestry is hidden under the hot food cooking tab.

Why is the 1000 pan technique not yet listed under hot food cooking! :P

FYI, there is some outdated info regarding ropes for selling or saccing in both Natural Substances and Channeling, just thought you might want to remove that.

I'll give you a nice tip for taming

get as much stew as you can and then do this :

create a pottery flask, and then fill it with vegetables and edible items

6x sage

2x wheat

5x oregano

1x onion

(whatever works but I can confirm that these edibles makes you use extremely little stew)

then when you have both the stew and the pottery flask with the edible items, grab the stew and move it over to the pottery flask, you will see that you will only be using 0,00kg of stew each time you tame.

However it uses a tiny amount of stew so as much stew as possible is recommended.

With this method you do not need tons of seeds and meat to reach high taming levels.

Edited by Che

Nobody posted about meditating?

From what I can tell, there is no difference in skillgain based on quality or type of rug. Circle of cunning increases skillgain, and I've heard that a higher quality and better type of rug (i.e exquisite) makes it easier to "get the question". This does seem to be the case based on my experience.

I'd love to know if anyone has some useful tips for meditating other than what is posted above (and sticking to timers for knowing when to meditate next).