Sign in to follow this  
darthryan

Skill Grind Spoilers!

Any tips on Jewelry crafting?  Silver is hard to come by, so it would be nice to improve with iron, and craft bowls, balls, and such.   What skill should stop making bowls and balls?

Same as pretty much any other improving skill, just improve stuff as high as you can.

the other day i was catapulting 70ql meditation rugs twice each and then doing the same - turning on sb and going afk (4-5 mins per rug) then you can cata them again and repair and so on.

I like this idea, seems like a nice way to create high damaged items. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

Any tips on Jewelry crafting?  Silver is hard to come by, so it would be nice to improve with iron, and craft bowls, balls, and such.   What skill should stop making bowls and balls?

you could make some silver chains (jewelry variant) and iron balls.

create iron pendulums of that - as iron is far easier to get at a good ql.

Woodcutting: If you have the patience just load up crates into a wagon, chop trees down (don't use sleep bonus use a high ql hatchet) load the trees into a crate until your satisfied with the number. Take the trees back to your deed mine or w/e and cut them up. You don't have to walk from tile to tile and its all right in front of you

More woodcutting: Overaged trees work best for both skillgain and getting lots of logs.  Seek them out.  Also, since as a woodcutter, you're probably working outside most of the time (that is, where wild animals like to eat the unprepared) you want to raise weapon skills as well.  If you use a low QL version of each type of axe weapon to grind the weapon skill to 20, you not only get the weapon skillticks, you also get woodcutting skillticks at the same time.  Unlike swords, axes can be used to chop trees all the way into logs, so there's lots of early skillgains to be had here in both of these skills, especially if you're seeking out overaged trees.  Once you've fully taken advantage of this, you now have decent starter combat experience in whichever type of axe you feel most comfortable with, and you never had to stop training your woodcutting skill to do it.  At this point, find yourself a high QL axe of your preferred type to keep equipped, and feel safer out in the woods.  

Edited by Tathar

For woodcutting, a nice technique I came across somewhere is to chop a (overaged) tree until it is high damage but not felled, and then use a sickle to prune it. This will encourage the tree to grow back to its current age, at which point the damage will be gone. This way you can have a much more sustainable source of trees for skilling woodcutting, as you are not always waiting for a sprout to grow back to a suitable age.

Also, I'm not sure but it does seem that using a CoC two handed sword gives better woodcutting skill gain than a hatchet.

For woodcutting - To have a more sustainable supply of woodcutting enlist some help from your Fo friends. You can use their Wild Growth spell to help you get a collection of sprouts and to grow a forest very quickly. With this you can grow the trees to the desired age fast, cut them down and then plant new sprouts. Continue to cast and in a short time you can have an overaged collection of trees again.

I think I read that Pine trees naturally grow faster as well. Consider making your sustainable forest from pine.

~Nappy

soo.. ropemaking? Have heard that nettraps are good, but will need some skill to do? Anyone has tips? *winks at nappy*

soo.. ropemaking? Have heard that nettraps are good, but will need some skill to do? Anyone has tips? *winks at nappy*

Either

1. Grind your skill (with bowstrings) until you can make your own cordage (this sucks) or

2. Have someone with decent RM make the ropes and possibly the nets for you.

Does the nettrap thing really work faster? I tried it a short time ago, (although with only one trap since I can barely make cordage so far) and it didn't seem like the skill gain was much faster and used more material...

What am I likely doing wrong?

Oh, as long as I am on the skillgain topic... I have two chars with about 55 mining... what should I be mining for skillgain at this point?

Edited by Kyleshandra

Does the nettrap thing really work faster? I tried it a short time ago, (although with only one trap since I can barely make cordage so far) and it didn't seem like the skill gain was much faster and used more material...

Are you imping the nets? You don't just make'em, you actually have to improve them.

I did imp but possibly with only the one trap I wasn't getting a very good average. I will frank out a few more and see if it works better for me.

Thanks for the reply!

Guide to Animal taming:

What do you need: A oven with a few sauce pans, some meat and reed pens.

First of all you heat the oven and put the meat inside - i would use 15 meat for the oven and 15 filets. (can be more depends how much you want). When the fiets and meat are glowing hot just drag 1 meat and 1 filet into the sauce pans, that will give you stew. Now you take that stew and drag it into a barrel/waterskin/any container for liquids. You do it until the container is full or you are out of meat.

Second thing you do is bind the taming (i use a certain way so all my keybinds can be used rather easily and bind it with x in this instance) and you add the reed pens to your toolbelt. I use 4-6 reedpens as my mind logic can get me upto 6 actions.

Now when you have the stew in a container id suggest to open the container and put it next to the reed pens. (open contiainer show as another window and reed pens in inventory). The main idea is to use the tame action from the toolbelt and fill it from the open window with stew into the inventory. For example i push 1 x 2 x 3 x 4 x (inveontry slot 1 - tame, invenorty slot 2 - tame and so forth). As the taming timer depends on the skill and ql of the stew you will have spare time and after the third action i ususally drag from the container containing stew into the reed pens to refill them and before the 4th action ends que up another 3 taming actions. This means you can tame until you run out of stamina. Meaning 10-15 taming actions for me in a row.

Now for taming id suggest to start with pigs - they eat basically everything and are rather easy to tame. It is important because you get most of the skill from succesfull tames meaning it is suggested to keep on taming until you see a dramatic loss of skill. I did my taming from 0 to 70 on 2 animals mainly. from 0-40 on a pig and from 40-70 on a bear. Bear is another good example as after the ~40 taming they are rather easy to tame and they eat stew. Using a reed pen gives you the advantage of not needing thousands of meats as the stew you drag into the reed pen is only 0,01 weight meaning you can do 100 actions per kg. that means 1k actions per 10kg. 1 meat and 1 filet should give you roughly 1,5kg or more meaning 150 actions of taming for 3-5 mins with an oven.

Id suggest getting your HFC to 50+ meaning the stew comes out avg ql 50+ easy.

As one of the main persk of AT is to ride a HH you can use the reed and stew method on HH-s also, just need high ql stew (i use 85+ ql stew on them)

Edited by Wulfgarr
  • Like 2

If there is one piece of advice I can offer new players, it's this. 

Don't grind. Do not waste all your time trying to increase one skill. You will quickly lose interest and get bored. 

Use your skills as you need them, the gain will come.

• Like 10

But 1 part thats not added and most players perhaps want to grind is Reparing

This a part i looked at and took at and it worked took me over 70+ reparing and Doctoragnus passed 90 with it, its rather simple.

Mailboxes and Spirit castles infact have longest repair time + best skill gain here i havent seen still seen another with a longer repair time ( finished item ).

Just make alot of them stand ind middle off them they dont need to be casted on, bash them down with a maul to 80-90 dmg use Sleeping bonus and repair.

( we had a discussion of using lava tiles but it wasnt fast enough to grind )

1 xtra tip. //Regards MrCoolMan

• Like 3

I should had read this thread a long time ago. THANK you for the mining skill grind tips! I've been desperately trying to get my Mining skill past 50, and had no clue how to do it. And when asking in CA HELP, they gave me a headache of numbers to where I was being told "figure it out yourself".
The OP was extremely helpful. However, does the quality of the vein matter? Like, if you try to mine a vein with Poor quality, is this still the most efficient way to grind to 60? I do not want to start hacking at a good vein, just for skillgain.

Also, most efficient way to get Prospecting up? I'd like some tips on that. And Mind Logic (for my alt, he's currently at 21.00)?

Edited by Benie

3 hours ago, Benie said:

I should had read this thread a long time ago. THANK you for the mining skill grind tips! I've been desperately trying to get my Mining skill past 50, and had no clue how to do it. And when asking in CA HELP, they gave me a headache of numbers to where I was being told "figure it out yourself".
The OP was extremely helpful. However, does the quality of the vein matter? Like, if you try to mine a vein with Poor quality, is this still the most efficient way to grind to 60? I do not want to start hacking at a good vein, just for skillgain.

Also, most efficient way to get Prospecting up? I'd like some tips on that. And Mind Logic (for my alt, he's currently at 21.00)?

No vein QL does not matter (you’ll just be unable to monitor how many ores are 1.01-39.99 QL if the vein cap is lower than that. 

As for prospecting, a low QL high CoC pickaxe and just start prospecting cave walls over and over. 

I did it to 60 in about 5-7 hrs sleep bonus (actually second though may have been a lot less, can’t rememebr). Anyway I used a low QL (lower the better) that had 95 or so CoC on it. 

ML will go up with mining and a ton of other skills. Not sure what skills are best gains for it specifically (except mass cooking like many have done, but you’re talking thousands and thousands of meals)

. posted wrong post, lol sorry....

Edited by Chisco

Butchering skill grinding:

i been asked how to do many times ill share it insteed here:

1 cooking knife ( i used 1 seryll low ql they are shatter proof so )
high coc on it, u dice and mince meat u need to adapt ql on meat to ur skill, but from 50-70 it was rather easy to grind, i dont know if skill gain been changed here.

When i looked at this area output on butchering skill was rather amasing i can tell u.

Adding as well Butcher knife skill gain here, get ur self a weaponized butcher knife see to it u have some shield aswell coz u need one,  just attack mobs just add nimb and coc + LT good combo for keeping ur self alive...

Anyhow take care ^^