Sign in to follow this  
Wiro

Temporarily Disable Arched Walls From Blocking Sleep

Arched Walls  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Temporarily disable arched walls blocking sleep?

• Yes
    • No

Currently you cannot sleep in a fully enclosed house if there is even a single arched wall somewhere outside those walls as part of the building. This prevents us from making cool doorways and the like. The game tells us it is too windy to sleep inside, which is nonsense of course.

According to some recent staff posts this won't change anytime soon, therefore it'd be nice if this buggy feature would have the sleep restricted lifted until it is properly in place.

where is the bug? u can use buildings with no arched walls to sleep

I think what he means is, if you have a building with an outside wall with an arched doorway, and you have a room inside the building fully enclosed with the bed in it, you can't sleep in that room because the main building has an open doorway.

It's not intended, it is a known bug that needs to get fixed soon, especially if Rolf wants to go 1.0 with Wurm.

thats intended afaik

If it's inteded it's pretty stupid IMHO. Shouldn't matter if the main building is open to the elements if you have an enclosed room.

Not sure what the aim of saying this isn't a bug is (@ Manny, who has said so on the bug report in the server bugs forum), it is not like it matters what you call it. It is an odd "feature" and one that will be subject to change according to posts by Zcul. There shouldn't be a reason to limit people in this way when in the end it causes more harm than it does good. It can simply be re-enabled whenever it is the actual "room code" (for lack of a better term) is implemented.

The only argument for limiting people like this with their sleep is realism. But that argument becomes void when you consider how realistic it is without rooms coded in (not at all, as the OP describes).

Edited by Wiro

If you want realism, I've personally never had trouble sleeping under the stars.

And the wind being too annoying to sleep? Really? I have a ceiling fan going full bore and a standing fan two feet from my bed aimed at my head/chest on the 2nd speed.

I don't think a little wind is going to bother me

And for fun.. images of shanty houses/buildings. (Watch, the graphics team changes all the textures to match these things lol)

Edited by Hussars

Temporary? eh, PERMANENTLY. We can ask for things regardless of what some dev thinks or says. If enough people ask for something, those masses can easy force change, even if that change is contrary to what a dev personally thinks. As an example, Zcul originally wanted players to hit their heads and receive a light bruse when driving a cart through double doors.

Fairly sure this was in jest originally, as he was replying to a comment on the thread (Link for context)

A better example might have been the lamp issue...

As for disabling the "too windy" error.. is there a reason to not allow this in any completed structure? A player has to use the same amount of resources to construct 4 arches as they do 4 doors/walls/windows, and given the amount of gazebos I've fallen asleep in.. wind was never my concern lol

Edited by Hussars

As for disabling the "too windy" error.. is there a reason to not allow this in any completed structure?

--One possibility is a reference to a historical mechanic. If your house had an unfinished wall(s) you couldn't create or sleep in a bed inside such a house. I think their was a similar message about it being to drafty. An arched wall is a finished house but its also an open wall like an unfinished frame.

--Depending on where you live in real life and also the season some realistic folks might think it doesn't make sense. I could sleep in a drafty structure in the summer, but defiantly not in the winter.

Regardless of all that I still want bed use inside a house with arched walls.

At the end of the day I am playing wurm for fun and a distraction from real life so I don't think realism needs to factor into it a great deal nor do I think an update relating to aesthetics should prevent you from sleeping. Provided the bed is within an enclosed section of the house then it should work IMO or the inner/arched wall update was pointless.

• Like 1

I agree with this being fixed. I'd love an extension past my door with an arched entrance giving sort of a patio, but this prevents me from doing that.

I made a small enclosed town using an arched wall entrance connected to other houses, but now I can't use beds in the houses connected to the arches - even though theyre completely enclosed:(

Arches and inner walls gave so much room for unique designs and villages but restrictions like this are a bummer :(

3db8c.jpg

I think that this is a case where coding for realism breaks realism. A hole somewhere in another room in a house would not stop you from being able to sleep. If you can't code for realism from both sides, then scrap the realism argument and just let us do what lets us make beautiful structures like Alyeska's. And I don't mean as a temporary fix! scrap the "too windy" block from any completed house :)

+1