Sign in to follow this  
Meridius

Wurm 1.0 Discussion

Its soon to be upon us, a new face to Wurm, with new character models, animations, creatures, multi-story buildings and who knows what else. With the influx of new players that will surely happen, my prediction is that Rolf will open another Freedom server to both commemorate and accommodate the slow flood of new people. Let's face it, he'll have to. The servers now are pretty crowded and deeded to heck.

We should see a slew of new people, and a lot of returning players who will want to check out the new face of Wurm. I think I'll hold of on my new deed form for a while and see what happens.

That's my prediction, what's yours?

• Like 1

The servers now are pretty crowded and deeded to heck.

Lol. Just... lol. That's ridiculous. There is LOADS of free land, and NO need for new servers. Indy is 4x the size of Deli with barely 1.5x the people, Exodus is a ghost town for the most part according to a friend of mine who moved there, and Chaos is literally barren, and the size of Indy. IMO, when we get more people signing up, and Exo and Indy fill up, that will force people to settle Chaos, possibly even revitalising the PvP there.

Wurm 1.0 is an internal release, my prediction is you won't see any public release or any of that promised stuff till a few months after. But it's okay, because internally it'll be out!

Lol. Just... lol. That's ridiculous. There is LOADS of free land, and NO need for new servers. Indy is 4x the size of Deli with barely 1.5x the people, Exodus is a ghost town for the most part according to a friend of mine who moved there, and Chaos is literally barren, and the size of Indy. IMO, when we get more people signing up, and Exo and Indy fill up, that will force people to settle Chaos, possibly even revitalising the PvP there.

People shouldn't be "forced" to settle into a server with PvP, especially when the game is advertised as a Sandbox.

The way I look at 1.0 is the way I looked at Gold. It's a word, something rolf uses a lot and I don't understand why. Gold was supposed to be out of beta and into the new world and yet rolf keeps saying the next one is out of beta which has made me give up on the subject of it ever happening. I do not like the idea how releasing a few things we should have had before and slapping a name on it a good thing. If Rolf truly wants a 1.0 we should get more than 1.0 it should be a big patch including visiable armor a whole new animation rework etc, not just oo you can add more floors now.

If Rolf truly wants a 1.0 we should get more than 1.0 it should be a big patch including visiable armor a whole new animation rework etc
Ummm... that's what it's about...:
With Wurm 1.0 comes multi storey buildings and the new character models that have customizable face features, visible armour and proper bone structure [new animation system]

In my mind, 1.0 is basically Rolf saying that the game is more or less at a point that he's happy to publically say 'Here's a game, come buy it and play it' and to be happy advertising it as such. I don't think the move to 1.0 will change much barring Rolf's signature immediately, but hopefully once advertising starts rolling, there will be more attention on the game, and more players. Exciting times :)

that will force people to settle Chaos, possibly even revitalising the PvP there.

The last time the dev tried to force PvP on folks who didn't want that to begin with many decided to play other games.

My prediction, as far as my playing goes, nothing going to change.

I dont know what to expect... Game breaking lag? Servers down for days? Another wurmageddon? A whole new game? Another server? Nothing?

Probably the last.

I don't think anything drastic will happen...although thats not saying it could'nt. Probably see a few new players, but new servers are NOT needed.

I think there should be one huge server, 4times the size of Indie. No x amount of little servers. Atleast for the Freedom cluster. And leave chaos as it is for those that want to pvp and such. Only having 60-150 players per server makes the world seem a little quiet. Yes Global chat was added. But you dont fully know what server they are on unless you ask them in chat or IRC.

After 6months a server can run low on resources like rock and dirt/sand(bsb monthly removal/decay). Alot of ppl mine up rock and ore and just let it rot seeing as they were just skill grinding.

After 6months a server can run low on resources like rock and dirt/sand(bsb monthly removal/decay). Alot of ppl mine up rock and ore and just let it rot seeing as they were just skill grinding.

Ehh what? I dont understand what are you trying to say.

@Atazs

Theres a lot of places on Cele server I'll find an open mine with 80-90dmg shardes on the ground at 50ql+ With a large area inside the cave opened up. With piles of 45-52 shardes rotting away on close to 50+ tiles

@Atazs

Theres a lot of places on Cele server I'll find an open mine with 80-90dmg shardes on the ground at 50ql+ With a large area inside the cave opened up. With piles of 45-52 shardes rotting away on close to 50+ tiles

Oh i see so you are saying that the resources on the servers like rock and other ores are running out? You are the first person ive seen saying something like that.

Pretty much what Im saying. Seeing as you came make a mine above an old one, If they could change it to where you could. Has to be say 3tiles up. And the lower mine most have support beams other wise it will cave in/make a drop shaft.

And with multi level houses. Im sure rock will go even faster. Ppl making castles and towers(4story house linked to tall stone walls) and such

Edited by Ronnie

"Running out" is a bit of an overstatement. There are several ways to "create" these resources using a priest (Mag for stone, Fo for dirt) if you need them "now". If the titles are not reinforced, they will eventually collapse on their own and sometimes will even spawn an ore vein, if they are reinforced, if on-deed, the mayor (and maybe citizens with mining permissions - never checked this part) can break the reinforcement.

Scale the harvesting/grinding up by a couple hundred people, sure the public areas/non-deeded areas will have to wait for nature or someone will need to hire a priest.

I don't understand why people are being so negative.

Be happy we're having these updates sheesh, I mean I know there are lag problems for some and some things are broken but i'm happy to see the game chugging along...keep up the good work! :D

And I think the OP sums up my ideas exactly, and I too, am waiting to buy that deed form hehe

• Like 2

Independence, after about 3 years, has a lot of deformed land. I think what a lot of people could use is an erosion system or some way to return land entirely to a natural state faster so that they have land that they can reasonably be expected to settle on. Even if it involved volunteers with dev powers coming around and deleting old ruins and unflattening the land, it'd be worth it for freeing up land for players.

Independence, after about 3 years, has a lot of deformed land. I think what a lot of people could use is an erosion system or some way to return land entirely to a natural state faster so that they have land that they can reasonably be expected to settle on. Even if it involved volunteers with dev powers coming around and deleting old ruins and unflattening the land, it'd be worth it for freeing up land for players.

That has been suggested for years. However the mechanism to initiate an "errosion" check would only add more lag to the system, unless it was a system that only "checked" when a very small amount of players were online.

Ultimately, it would also have to be a logical system that checked for:

last interaction (if it was never touched, it shouldn't erode)

surrounding slopes (dirt can't just disappear without somewhere to go)

trees/shrubs (if we want erosion it might as well be logical that trees/shrubs would prevent it)

erosion speed based on tile type aka dirt<gravel<grass<cobble<slab

Its soon to be upon us, a new face to Wurm, with new character models, animations, creatures, multi-story buildings and who knows what else. With the influx of new players that will surely happen, my prediction is that Rolf will open another Freedom server to both commemorate and accommodate the slow flood of new people. Let's face it, he'll have to. The servers now are pretty crowded and deeded to heck.

We should see a slew of new people, and a lot of returning players who will want to check out the new face of Wurm. I think I'll hold of on my new deed form for a while and see what happens.

That's my prediction, what's yours?

Not sure yet. However your prediction sounds quite plausible to me. :)

I'm glad to have the experience of wurm, and will be at least looking forward to the upcoming year.