Sign in to follow this  
Pryath

Rapid Pvp Server Suggestion

My suggestion would be to setup a new server with Rapid PVP.

• All skills available from the start at level 25, using the Epic curve for grinding further- No dull grinding up from 1, you are useful immediately, can ride horses, ride some boats, kill most mobs, enchant, tame etc etc etc
  • Premium Only, 2 random affinities per player - one of which is lost on death - Speeds up skill gain, every kill gets you a new affinity, guaranteed (as nobody has less than 25 FS)
  • One large map, full raiding/draining --> No home servers, no safer areas - no need to grind up to 25, you start with decent skills
  • No sleep bonus - you want to sleep? this is PVP not SimCity - there are enough skillgain options already
  • Only lose FS on death, no other skills lost - only armour lost, not items - why penalise anything but FS?, this is a PVP server - this will take the focus off needing to have people continually creating stuff
  • Start date at least 2 weeks in advance so you have time to get organised
  • Yearly map and skill reset --> From the start, everyone knows the deal
  • At the end of the year, full public honours for best fighters/kingdoms/highest achievers - maybe some unique no drop items for the top performers that are allowed to be carried forward to the next reset like MBOK and Titles etc

Others I thought about :-

• The starting skills increase by 5 for each subsequent month after server start
  • No new players can start after month 10, they need to wait for the restart - this happens in other MMOs as the server draws to a close

In my opinion, this would do the following :-

• Raise decent money for Wurm as Premium Only
  • You get value for your Prem time as you start with decent skills
  • The focus is less about grinding and more on learning the tactics behind how to PVP
  • Instant active PVP - no more having to travel for hours to pick a fight
  • No penalty for late comers as the later you start, the more skills you have
  • Makes it much more exciting and sellable to the wider (non grinding maniac) public

Negatives

I am sure there are hundreds as I realise that there are lots of holes in this, but I will let everyone else decide on that. Just please bare in mind that anyone of the above items can be removed/altered/tweaked - I am just trying to set the wheels in motion.

Edit: agreed with comments so far so changed the armour to drop also

Edited by Pryath
  • Like 1

have to drop armor.

imagine:

Attacking deed, defenders keep on respawning with armor and weapons - you will not be able to successfully drain a deed because the defenders strength never decreases.

how about instaed of having 25 as the start skill have it as a skill cap no one can get their skills over 25 would make it easy for new players to catch up quickly and it would make sure no gear is OP as it would be capped at 25 or 40ish if u inlude the curve. Armour must drop on death.

A very interesting suggestion. Something I might tweak is the no-drop of armour/items - it's nice to get a bit of loot for your kill. Could be altered by leaving drops as they are, but making the imping of armour/items much, much easier so getting back into the game takes barely any time, though this could backfire and remove the desire for loot.

No "closing date" on server registration - new players starting with high skills in months 11 and 12 will give them a taste of what playing with high skill is like and may aid player retention.

The +5 skill per month seems like a good idea, but not for every skill simply because it's unrealistic to expect people to get +5 in every skill every month. Maybe only for PvP skills.

This could be a good implementation with some balancing.

maby have that the corps is no lootebale and all your stuff stays on your corps? like it is on Freedom cluster.

Hi,

w/o ever concerned in Wurmian PvP, this sounds like a plan. You might attract me.

Have fun!

It sounds pretty good, however you'd definately need the yearly resets to keep everything interesting.

Sorry, but there's already two PvP servers. It was bad enough Epic opened and stole more than half playerbase from Chaos, now to open this would only drain the other servers more. Then you're going to have 3 PvP servers with a more thinned out population.

-1. It is not hard to get 25 stats/skills on Epic whatsoever.

Edited by Crusader
  • Like 2

Crusader, try and open your mind a little. Wurm will be going 1.0 at the end of the year, and with it will come the marketing designed to significantly increase the player base.

My suggestion is designed to make the most of that brave new world and create a faster route to pvp for those existing players that want it, but to also appeal to those who are yet to even hear of wurmonline!

That was the point of Epic, it was an excelled server with boosted skillgain to help players get into PvP faster. Sorry you can't purchase an account there to bypass the grinding, Pryath, but laziness isn't a reason to open a whole new server because a small percentage of people hate grinding. There's PvP daily to be had on Epic, it's very lively, and even this weekend every Epic server was over 50+ player population, I even saw Serenity up to 70.

Try to open my mind? Lol, try to actually grind an account for once and get into the PvP. We already got like three billion servers, the answer is not another one. Epic is fine how it is, it's fast skillgain, and I see many new names getting kills today meaning that it's proof that veterans don't always win. This idea is just garbage, but don't then bash my opinion and say, "Open your mind."

You open a new server and the same thing will happen to all others, they lose players. So Epic will drop, Chaos may drop a bit more, and then you have an even small community/playerbase per server. It's dumb. The game doesn't have the population for another cluster all together.

Edited by Crusader
  • Like 1

There's already too little grind on Epic, this server would get old even FASTER than Epic.

"The gear difference is larger than the skill difference"--Anonymous PvP veteran.

If this is true, then joining a decent village solves most of your problems. Even on Chaos, you can get 70 FS/ shield skill/ weapon skill in a couple months if you work at it. No, those skills won't make you a PvP god, but you will be able to PvP without being killed too easily. Let's face it, Wurm is not a hack'n'slash action game, or an FPS. It's a skill-based MMO with a lot of grind to it.

Crusader is correct.

There simply is not enough population to sustain another PvP server much less an entire cluster on top of epic and chaos at this point and for the forseeable near future.

For players that are interested in the actual fighting mechanics of pvp in wurm (lord knows wh y) the skill bank needed to play that mechanic is absolutely available and possible without unholy amounts of grinding and weeks of practice/equipment procurement. Especially if you for some reason think the combat/mob hunting is "fun" you'll be up to speed in no time.

Guys this is a suggestion, a forum to express ideas. There will be more people against this than for this just by the very nature of what has happened in the past.

Chaos is as good as dead and on Epic a huge pmk just disbanded, this is an alternative view to open up some possibilities.

What Wurm was or has been doesn't mean that Wurm can't be something else in time.

Thanks Joan always interesting to get a view from a non pvp Epic player. I agree the player count doesn't fit with this, but Wild failed and Epic is stuttering a little.

I guess it boils down to whether you believe 1.0 will bring in a lot of new players or not, I am sure that is Rolf's plan

Thanks for the comments so far! They are valid for sure

By choice.

The disband if anything has achieved what it was meant to, PvP has livened up noticably

• Like 1

No more servers. As for the rest well you are suggesting a hardcore pvp server with pretty much nothing but pvp. I dont think that would work...

Correct, they went by choice, I didn't say otherwise. Not the first to do so, and they might not be the last.

Wind the clock on 12 months, I wonder how different everything will be then. How many more players will there be post Wurm 1.0?, how many of those will want PVP? Will Chaos still be around? What will Epic look like?

I wish I had a crystal ball :)

Perhaps you shuld sell this as an idea to implement after wurm 1.0 release IF there is a substantily larger player base to warrent another server.

Realy it sounds like you are thinking that it would be fun to have 1 server set up as a ^ "hack'n'slash action game". That does sound fun to me but I personaly do not think trying to use wurm to implement this would work. The combat system is not entertaining enough to be the main feature. Perhaps a differnet game engine with some castle building added would be better suited?