Sign in to follow this  
Sir Arowhun

Lock Please - Adding To Wurm's Backstory

In my version of the backstory, Wurm is a huge planet that has a circumference of about 17,000,000 KM, so there is plenty of room for everything and much more. (Earth has a circumference of about 40,000 KM)

ehh might change this though, idk.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

In my version of the backstory, Wurm is a huge planet that has a circumference of about 17,000,000 KM, so there is plenty of room for everything and much more. (Earth has a circumference of about 40,000 KM)

If the planet were that big there would be much more kingdoms than the 3. We can assume from this that Wurm is probably less than the size of Earth, if we want to be realistic.

If the planet were that big there would be much more kingdoms than the 3. We can assume from this that Wurm is probably less than the size of Earth, if we want to be realistic.

This is my idea:

Most of Wurm is covered by icebergs that are too cold for people to live on. People are only found on small islands and continents that the gods raised from the ocean. The old world is an earth-sized region were most human history has occurred. The islands that we live on in the game are located in the Circle Sea, a completely separate region that was unknown to man until the portals were discovered at Golden Valley at 979NT.

It doesn't actually say anywhere in the backstory (http://wurmpedia.com...x.php/Backstory) if the old world was on Wurm or a completely different planet. How do you guys think it should be?

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Well doesnt sound like a problem for wurm to be huge, tons of servers after all.

However, will you be working on some kind of story that involves epic? It does create new kingdoms and stories of its own.

However, will you be working on some kind of story that involves epic? It does create new kingdoms and stories of its own.

No, I am trying to add to the backstory of what happened before the islands of epic or freedom were discovered. Right now its very minimal. You can see the whole thing right here: http://wurmpedia.com...x.php/Backstory.

I'm beginning work on my version of the creation story. In it I wish to explain why the other planets are there and what happened on them. I'll make it so that Vynora, Fo, and Magranon were not original gods but were humans that became gods after they received cherries from the treekeeper. They received the cherries because they defeated the Wurm and forced him to leave.

Please give more suggestions.

Wurm is an oblong spheroid riding on the backs of sea turtles.

Wurm is an oblong spheroid riding on the backs of sea turtles.

Where are the sea turtles?

This is something that I think the community should vote on.

Should Wurm's solar system be wurmeocentric or soleocentric?

Wurmeocentric Model:

VnUjV.png

Soleocentric Model:

StK5y.png

Key:

Yellow planet = Sol

Grey planet = Wurm

White planet = Seris

Red planet = Jackal

Blue planet = Valarie

/>http://imgur.com/a/FXDQ4

Edited by Sir Arowhun

I think it should be Soleocentric, but please add some planets visible as small points on the sky, maybe even one or two looking like normal stars (but moving at planets orbits) to allow community explore them. :D

I think you should DEFINITELY change this. It's FAR too unrealistic.

The largest planet in our solar system, Jupiter, has an equatorial circumference of less than 500,000 km. The SUN, our star, has an equatorial circumference of just over 4,250,000 km

Barring the fact that this planet would dwarf our own star, and MANY stars out there that weren't supergiants, it would have a massive gravitational pull and surface pressure. Going by your measurements, Wurm would be 475 times larger than Earth, which would give it a surface pressure of just over 480 Bar, or, almost 7,000 pounds of pressure per square inch of surface area.

Yeah I understand this, but Wurm is not real so it doesn't have to be scientifically correct. It needs to be huge so there will always be more room for more islands.

Since Wurm has about 100 people per island, and there could be millions of players in the future, there could be hundreds of thousands of islands. 50,000 islands the size of Deliverance would take up 3,200,00 square KM. This is about what is necessary for 5,000,000 people.

I think your math is way off. The 'continents' in Wurm are tiny. The biggest being Chaos/Independence at around 256 square kilometers. That's roughly the size of Niue off of New Zealand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niue).

With a population of almost 1,400, Niue's population density is something like 5 per square kilometer. That's almost nothing. Let's say Chaos has 300 people total on it. That's a population density of just over 1/km²

Even if there were 50,000 islands the size of Chaos/Independence that's only 12,800,000 km². The country of Russia is larger than that.

On Earth alone we could fit over 580,000 islands the size of chaos/independence

There's absolutely no way we would ever need to be even the size of Jupiter. Let alone larger than most STARS

Some more information for ya:

Collectively, all of the maps and servers take up 918 km². Wurm has about, what, 1,200 players? The max I've seen online at once server wide is 800 but let's assume that Wurm has say... 1800 players.

Over 918 square kilometers of land, that's a population density of just a hair under 2 per square kilometer.

The Turks and Caicos Islands, geographically the most similar in size to the culmination of all of Wurm's islands, house almost 45,000 people with a population density of about 105 per square kilometer, and they are VERY Rural islands.

This is all on 0.00006% of Earth's land surface area.

And you think we need to be 475 times the size of Earth?

Edited by BjornYngvar

Your right, I had a calculation error. I was looking at earth's circumference, not its area. Earth's area is about 510,000,000 km squared so yeah, there is plenty of room.

You have to remember though that the continents in the old world are huge, covering an area that's about the same as earth. This means that Wurm has to be at least a little bit larger then earth. I think 3x the size of earth is a minimum.

I still like the idea of Wurm being outrageously large. It makes you wonder what else could be out there. However, if the majority is against Wurm being this big then i'll be forced to agree. This will be the subject of the next poll.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

That's total square kilometers, not taking into account what's covered by water.

Earth's land coverage is about 130,000,000 square kilometers.

Also why does Wurm have to be bigger than Earth just because the old world continents are the same size as Earth's continents? Like I already pointed out all of Wurm's maps combined is less than a thousand square kilometers, still within the size range of medium islands.

If the islands were close to the old world continents, then the portals wouldn't be necessary.

I don't see why Wurm shouldn't be larger then earth. Its not like its bound to the laws of science. It would leave more room for expansion, which is never a bad thing.

It's not necessary though, that's the thing. Just stop and think about it.

Right now, we've used 0.00006% of the available land area on the current servers vs. Earth's total available land area. Why does Wurm need to be larger?

Why does Wurm need to be larger?

I just said it above, Wurm will get larger in the future if it goes gold and gets millions of new players.

I don't want to be a negative nancy I really doubt that Wurm online will ever have 'millions' of players. This game is far from everyone's type. Most MMOs don't go much past the one million mark, if that.

I also don't think that, abstractly speaking, Wurm would need to be a planet larger than Earth for 'millions'. Not when Earth is home to BILLIONS and it's average population density is about 50 per square kilometer, taking into account only habitable land (excludes Antarctica)

I don't want to be a negative nancy I really doubt that Wurm online will ever have 'millions' of players. This game is far from everyone's type. Most MMOs don't go much past the one million mark, if that.

I also don't think that, abstractly speaking, Wurm would need to be a planet larger than Earth for 'millions'. Not when Earth is home to BILLIONS and it's average population density is about 50 per square kilometer, taking into account only habitable land (excludes Antarctica)

Actually, after 1.0 comes I think a lot more will show up. Most people don't play because of no animations and visible armor, but after this is added Wurm could easily get thousands of more players and many new islands.

You have to remember that the population density of Wurm is about 2 people per KM. If wurm had 50 people per KM it would be way too crowded.

Thousands is still VERY far off from millions.

In games, a player base can jump from thousands to millions in a few months. Minecraft is an example of this.

Edited by Sir Arowhun