Sign in to follow this  
ashoof

Epic Server Rest After 1.0 Release.

Epic Map and skill reset after the release of wurm 1.0  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like if maps and skills on the epic cluster reset after the release of wurm 1.0?

• Yes I would like a map and skill reset.
    • Yes but would like only a map reset
    • Yes but would like only a skill reset
    • No would not want any changes

You're...... not serious, are you? Epic hasn't even been out for a whole year yet...

Did I imply that I wasnt serious?

Youre telling me, if I made an alt right now, premmed him up and decided to grind, that I can catch up to the veteran pvpers? I dont think so. Im not going to walk out and in all of a sudden have full drake and be riding a hellhorse.

Did I imply that I wasnt serious?

Youre telling me, if I made an alt right now, premmed him up and decided to grind, that I can catch up to the veteran pvpers? I dont think so. Im not going to walk out and in all of a sudden have full drake and be riding a hellhorse.

I've been playing since day one of epic, and I don't have any dragon armor, no adamantine, no glimmersteel, and haven't used a hell horse in pvp yet. Everything I use is basic iron gear, with enchants everyone is available to obtain, and I'm the highest ranked pvper in MR, if that matters at all.

Stats don't mean anywhere near as much as they do on the Freedom cluster, and the curve really does remove a lot of the whole "getting ahead of the game" thing Wild pvp had. So yes, if you started a new alt, you can "catch up". There is no one on Epic that is utterly impossible to catch up to.

I've been playing since day one of epic, and I don't have any dragon armor, no adamantine, no glimmersteel, and haven't used a hell horse in pvp yet. Everything I use is basic iron gear, with enchants everyone is available to obtain, and I'm the highest ranked pvper in MR, if that matters at all.

Stats don't mean anywhere near as much as they do on the Freedom cluster, and the curve really does remove a lot of the whole "getting ahead of the game" thing Wild pvp had. So yes, if you started a new alt, you can "catch up". There is no one on Epic that is utterly impossible to catch up to.

I disagree, but obviously neither our opinions will change...

There's no fix for the 'catch-up' game, even if you reset the server, what does that solve? You reset it and 3 months in what are new players doing? Catching up.

You'll always have the catch-up factor, that's just how Wurm's system is, it's a system of catching up if you're new. There's no fix for that because that's the core of the game it's based all around numbers and skills/stats. I won't deny it'll be harder for new players coming into a game later, even if you aren't using glimmersteel, hell horses, or drake armor - you still have a significantly better account which is a big factor in PvP. Of course a new person coming into the game is likely to lose to someone with better stats, regardless of gear, overall Body + Body Control + Weapon Skill + Fight Skill make a difference.

Overall, do I think it's hard to catch up? No, not at all. I made Hare about 6+ months after Epic opened in like June and I survived just fine in Jenn-Kellon and Mongols. I even used a Halberd and Long Spear just to show how possible it was to catch-up, I even released my whole Skills gain .txt file to show how/what I grinded and how fast. I had no issues catching up and getting 30+ body easily, and 23-25 body control.

It's not hard at all to catch-up, but you'll always be playing catch-up, that's Wurm. Reset it now, and two months later there'll be another person saying, "Hey lets reset it, I'm late to the party!"

• Like 1

There's no fix for the 'catch-up' game, even if you reset the server, what does that solve? You reset it and 3 months in what are new players doing? Catching up.

You'll always have the catch-up factor, that's just how Wurm's system is, it's a system of catching up if you're new. There's no fix for that because that's the core of the game it's based all around numbers and skills/stats. I won't deny it'll be harder for new players coming into a game later, even if you aren't using glimmersteel, hell horses, or drake armor - you still have a significantly better account which is a big factor in PvP. Of course a new person coming into the game is likely to lose to someone with better stats, regardless of gear, overall Body + Body Control + Weapon Skill + Fight Skill make a difference.

Overall, do I think it's hard to catch up? No, not at all. I made Hare about 6+ months after Epic opened in like June and I survived just fine in Jenn-Kellon and Mongols. I even used a Halberd and Long Spear just to show how possible it was to catch-up, I even released my whole Skills gain .txt file to show how/what I grinded and how fast. I had no issues catching up and getting 30+ body easily, and 23-25 body control.

It's not hard at all to catch-up, but you'll always be playing catch-up, that's Wurm. Reset it now, and two months later there'll be another person saying, "Hey lets reset it, I'm late to the party!"

I do agree with your point about always playing the catch up game, but I feel this is a special time in wurm's history now that 1.0 is to be released. On almost any other occasion I would be against a skill reset, however, since I feel this is the dawn of a new era in wurm and we can expect many changes and benefits to the game along with boatloads of new players I just feel its a special cirumstance.

That's what the curve and double skill gain is for. It helps bridge gaps between new players, and "veteran" players. We've got newer guys on MRH coming out with some of us that have been playing since day one of Epic, and they've gotten kills with us. Skill resets (excluding those for balancing exploits and such) are not necessary, and would only serve to upset the current players of Epic.

Well sadly for some, we expect no resets at all because that's what Rolf promised us.

http://forum.wurmonl...-reset-rumours/

I hope he's learned not to make promises like this anymore about anything since it only serves to limit the options available.

• Like 1

I am also lost as to how a map reset (destroying what took me the last few weeks to make, and months and months of work for others) will help anyone. Honestly, are you so selfish that you think because some need a fresh start everyone should give up what they have created and worked so hard for? I find the notion of a map reset to be offensive and rude. Resets do nothing. Nothing. Wurm, by design is a numbers game, and there will always be vets and newbies. You either have to play the game or go play something else. When Epic first came out, people were happy at the fresh pvp start, and in two weeks, two weeks, new players were complaining about being destroyed by "vets". Just boggles my mind you think this will change anything.

Might as well ask for a server where everyone starts out with 100 in everything and a clean board. There, have fun.

I prefer to earn what I have.

I am also lost as to how a map reset (destroying what took me the last few weeks to make, and months and months of work for others) will help anyone. Honestly, are you so selfish that you think because some need a fresh start everyone should give up what they have created and worked so hard for? I find the notion of a map reset to be offensive and rude. Resets do nothing. Nothing. Wurm, by design is a numbers game, and there will always be vets and newbies. You either have to play the game or go play something else. When Epic first came out, people were happy at the fresh pvp start, and in two weeks, two weeks, new players were complaining about being destroyed by "vets". Just boggles my mind you think this will change anything.

Might as well ask for a server where everyone starts out with 100 in everything and a clean board. There, have fun.

Would it really be different if we reset what you've built pummeling it into dust? Versus rolf doing it?

This is a fundamental difference from freedom. In a pvp environment do not have nor should we ever think that we have the right to permanence of anything. "Rude" and "selfish" are completely meaningless terms in this environment because they are part and parcel to the gameplay and all of us on one or more levels at any given time is behaving "selfishly" because we are the only one with our own interest in mind. We're "rude" everytime we steal a boat, or pump out! 90ql lock we know will likey end up locking down someones picked boat down forever. Rude everytime we make a weapon or practice channeling a spell or make a piece of armor to rudely defy anothers desire to kill us. Rude everytime we shelter behind secure strong walls sending raiders home empty handed after all ther time and effort.

Like in epic compaired to freedom is classically rude, brutal and rough but it is also the fullest and most complete expression of wurms possiblities and all the human elements that we have in us in any social situations. But it has to have something shaking/churning/mixing it to prevent it from running a single cycle and sputtering out. A recycle.

Edited by Joanavon

I can defend myself against players. I have no power against Rolf hitting the reset button.

See the difference? I went to Epic for the conflict and make a name for myself, not to keep repeating everything in a time-loop where we keep starting over.

Well according to the poll which I assume is accurate you're currently in the minority so telling me to "play something else" might not be a great statement B)

But I do believe atleast map resets were never taken off the table when epic came into existence. If I remember correctly.

I can defend myself against players. I have no power against Rolf hitting the reset button.

See the difference? I went to Epic for the conflict and make a name for myself, not to keep repeating everything in a time-loop where we keep starting over.

You can defend yourself to a point against players but after that your as defenceless against them as you are vs rolf. Perhaps instead of complete resets large scale disaster/apocalyptic events could alter the curent maps enough shake it up and recycle the momentum on the same maps.

I am still at a loss as to what you think this would accomplish besides pissing people off.

Also, the forums do not accurately represent the playerbase as a whole, as most that play do not post on the forums.

Edited by Victor

*facepalm* Not this again.

Am I not entitled to my opinion? Or anyone else who posts here for that matter?

A map reset maybe wouldnt solve anything in a long run but it would make epic have a lot more pvp for a while after it happens just like it was when it was opened.

Would it really be different if we reset what you've built pummeling it into dust? Versus rolf doing it?

Yes it is. Not every wall and street is destroyed after 1 year. It's also a feeling of risk and plays like a gamble.

In a pvp environment do not have nor should we ever think that we have the right to permanence of anything.

Noone has, why the need for the gamemaster to wipe the board? Current Epic also anoys some people already for some time, so a year seems to be too long. A reset every 6 month?

Like in epic compaired to freedom is classically rude, brutal and rough but it is also the fullest and most complete expression of wurms possiblities

and all the human elements that we have in us in any social situations.

And a reset every time limits wurms possibilities.

But it has to have something shaking/churning/mixing it to prevent it from running a single cycle and sputtering out. A recycle.

Ok, many people (not playing anymore) just want a servercluster with a reset every time. Don't ask an existing server to completely change to your playstyle, it is rude and selfish.

Yes it is. Not every wall and street is destroyed after 1 year. It's also a feeling of risk and plays like a gamble.

Noone has, why the need for the gamemaster to wipe the board? Current Epic also anoys some people already for some time, so a year seems to be too long. A reset every 6 month?

And a reset every time limits wurms possibilities.

Ok, many people (not playing anymore) just want a servercluster with a reset every time. Don't ask an existing server to completely change to your playstyle, it is rude and selfish.

Many people who are not playing anymore are irrelevent simpy because...they dont play anymore. So while you may think its rude or selfish, and frankly I dont care if you do, the demands of people who dont play and likey never will play on epic again are moot. As is the "annoyance" of anyone on freedom who've never played on epic about the very existance of epic. They can continue to be disgruntled about epic, dont care. Neither group is relevent to the future of epic and never will be.

I'm really hoping for a map reset and a change to home servers. I also voted for a skill reset, but that you guys probably don't agree with. I just think it's better to reset everything than just half of it.

Here's the deal, for all you resetters. This has been asked multiple times over the years and completely lacks any forethought on your part. All a server reset does is:

1) Upsets the people who have established themselves and worked for what they have.

2) Asserts your selfishness for a "fresh start" and "even footing".

3) Puts a band-aid on the real problem of why people don't pvp in Wurm. Epic is a clear example of how even a fresh start with 0 skill leads to this stagnation.

Its a problem with game design, not the map or your skills.

Rolf learned from the old MR and JK Home servers. You pull the plug, people leave.

Edited by Mark

what they need to do is migrate everyone off HOTS< use HOTS for a yearly or 6 month reset server. Split it from the cluster of Epic. Have it be for us with short attention spans, and don't really care about the building aspect as much as the rushing to gain skills aspect... hell, make it 3 months. I doubt most of us would really care, since it happens equally to everyone on the server. It'd be a great "test server" for new players to get a feel for the game on.

HOTS is dead anyway. I doubt the money made even pays for the server and upkeep on that one. I log in on prime time and there's 20 people on.

Edited by sweatygopher

I am against a skill reset, primarily because that Rolf set the expectation at the start of Epic that there would not be one, so everyone has been working on that basis. To change that now i think would be a real kick in the teeth.

• Like 1

Here's the deal, for all you resetters. This has been asked multiple times over the years and completely lacks any forethought on your part. All a server reset does is:

1) Upsets the people who have established themselves and worked for what they have.

2) Asserts your selfishness for a "fresh start" and "even footing".

3) Puts a band-aid on the real problem of why people don't pvp in Wurm. Epic is a clear example of how even a fresh start with 0 skill leads to this stagnation.

Its a problem with game design, not the map or your skills.

Rolf learned from the old MR and JK Home servers. You pull the plug, people leave.

I dont understand how it is 'selfish'

Calling somebodies idea selfish I dont think is a reasonable response.

Anyway I'm assuming Rolf will implement some drastic map changes, I have a feeling thats where he was going with epic at the end of a scenario... anyway, I bet in a years time wurm will look VERY different. Who knows? even by then he might have a new cluster out assuming a bunch of new people will probably join up.

Preety sure a few different scenario endings out of the bunch of 20 odd some ones that could happen are some type of map reset, we've only seen about 4 or 5, so just keep doing missions :>