Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Give A Little More Love To F2P

I know its popular to think of free players as "free loaders" but they actually DO bring a positive feature to the game that benefits everyone. They add a dynamic bustling population that breathes LIFE into the game. Free players -- and just population in general -- acts as a sort of FREE CONTENT that benefits (most) everyone in the game. They make Villages lively and bustling, they are usually thrilled to take over old abandoned decaying sites and rebuild them into living homesteads again. Even if they are not on a position bto buy a paid subscription, they bring their friends to the game and some of those may well end up as paying players. Paying subscribers are more likely to STAY in the game if their F2P friends in the village continue to play with them. They are the future life blood for Wurm. The not-so-secret reason why F2P has snowballed in the MMO industry, is simply because not everyone has to pay money to bring positive features to a game. Sometimes they add a lot more extra life to a game than even extra paid developers can give.

Its popular to blame free players for things like tree deforestation, but my experience is free players only CUT WHAT THEY NEED. When I find an entire region devastated of trees and piles of rotting logs left lying helter skelter where a once beautiful forest stood, I always check the quality of the logs left and the vast majority of times, those logs were not cut by non-premium players. Non-prems usually have enough of a struggle than to worry about leveling their woodcutting skill (and usually can do it just as easily but turning scrap wood into kindling). People say its pointless to replant starter areas with trees because "the noobs will just cut them down again" but I have found the opposite in my replantings -- new players are grateful for the chance to actually play the game and the new spouts I have planted around the Howl area, are doing extraordinarily well except when they get clearcut by premium players (who should know better than to devastate a new player resource area).

So this is a suggestion thread with TWO parts -- one is to educate veteran players of the positive benefits that free players can bring to Wurm, and the second is to suggest various small things to make their life a little easier or just a little bit more *FUN* (and hopefully get them so addicted to Wurm, that they are even more eager to earn the silver needed to go Premium).

1) Let them ride cows again. Cows are slow, heck its faster to walk, but it makes them feel a little left out of things to tell them they can;t even ride cows any more, it helps them defend themselves better against wolves and rats. I'd like to see them also be able to hitch a single milk cow to a small cart and drive that -- small carts are practically useless and it would add an element of pride and fun for a new player to travel about in their small cart and Ol' Bessy. Maybe the cow occasionally tosses them off and decides to stop moving. They are still FUN.

2) Let them spar between each other to get fighting skill up to the 20 FS cap. Its a lot more interesting to spar with a friend than to whack at a practice dummy (they have a hard time anyweay getting the pumpkins for those), and being able to get to 20 FS a little less grindy really does no one any harm.

3) Make a few easier low level cooking recipes that have good nutrition. Fish stew is something relatively easy to make with a campfire, clay bowl and fishing rod. Make foraging and botanizing more interesting and have better "payoffs". Maybe a bit more cotton, maybe some better use for things like basil and oregano -- perhaps adding those to a dish adds a little extra kick to it. Let them make something out of apples and blueberries that is easy to make and tasty. Maybe a few surprise discoveries that do not replace crafted items but make it worth their time foraging.

4) Make sickles and fishing poles an easier recipe or let them make some type of wooden sprout-picker. Make fishing poles easier for them by making cotton a bit easier to botanize.

5) Make pet dogs and wolves be immune to the PET NERF. A pet dog or pet wolf is hardly going to unbalance PVP, it gives them a friendly and loyal companion who can actually help them out in exploring the countryside. Their pet dog should get hungry less often, stay loyal longer, and be more help in a fight.

6) Allow them to make a dugout canoe that can be carried in a large cart and used to explore coastal areas. It can weigh 120kg like the two keels for a rowboat, so nothing they will lug around very far, but made out of a hatchet and felled tree. Make it impossible to lock or moor, have no inventory, and decay and be unrepairable, and maybe a 3-5 kh max speed, but at least now they can TRAVEL and explore. The decision to not allow boatbuilding inside a large cart, probably hurt lower level players more than anyone else.

7) DON'T add elements that only make veteran player's F2P alts more useful, this is more to get NEW BLOOD into the game and add a little more invigorating life to our communities.

8) Make it somehow more attractive for premium players to somehow "sponsor" a free to player into a premium subscription -- some way they can do an "apprenticeship" where they pay the 10 silver fee but also get the 2 silver cash/7s referral that would normally go to the person who paid for the subscription, without having to share passwords or account info. Make a "gift membership" something that is reasonable attractive for veterans to sponsor a player's first month as premium. . Veteran players are more likely to take that risk on a new player if they know at least some of their investment will come back directly to them. The remaining silver or so, they can have an arrangement perhaps for some work to be done. Or -- make a "sponsored membership" (onetime only! not useful for ongoing subs) cost half the amount of a normal one but include no 2s cash-in-bank and include no referral.

Hmm I am sure there are other things -- but I think also one of the BEST things we can do for free players, is make them feel more welcomed and wanted, because they CAN be an immensely positive addition to the game. They are the way we will "grow" the game -- even if they don;t become paying subscribers, they are more likely to bring in their friends and say nice things about Wurm on other gaming sites, and some of those may well be our future population.

For those worried about outside griefers using F2P accounts to terrorize the playerbase, there are ways that can discourage those without also discouraging people who legitimately WANT to learn to love Wurm.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 14

Well I personaly think they already have all they should get for F2P. You want all the bells and whistles buy premium current cost is less then $7 USD a month. That is $1.75 a week boys and girls, if you can not come up with that what the hell are you doing playing online games..Go make some money.

Sickles should be part of the starter kit.

• Like 1

It still costs a paid subscription for "all the bells and whistles." They are still capped at 20 skill. They still cannot own a deed or be mayor of their own village. They are still extremely powerless compared to paying subscribers (who may not be paying cash for their subs for a long time now anyway).

There is not much "fun" to do as a F2P after the first week or so. Why NOT let them feel Wurm is not a boring-grindy place so that you can fuel even more their desire to go premium. Riding a cow or exploring in a slow dugout can hardly be called access to major gameplay elements. And for those who cannot pay (no paypal, or in a country where payments are difficult, or a country where there are no jobs, or where $7USD is actually a *LOT* of money) , they still can make their Premium friends happier and staying longer with the game, which means more money into Rolf's pockets. Heck I would be curious to know how many longtime veterans have gone months/years without paying cash directly into the game. And if we make the argument that their activities add value to the economy even when they stopped paying cash directly to Rolf eons ago, then I think the same argument can be made for F2P. I'll explain that:

Say a premium player named Bill makes a new village. He is feeling very proud of his new role as mayor, he happily pays his premium sub. Heck he even pays for a 6-moth sub. He even decides to buy 50 silver from the cash shop to get things rolling. Imagine how much more fun it is for him to be a mayor of an active village with 8 people, half of whom are F2P. He may want to look out for them and so buy things from the economy to benefit "his" villagers. Maybe bricks and mortar for a guard tower, a new cog to sit proudly in the village harbor, a herd of cows for the village farm, a lot of construction materials for a village expansion. His villagers need food? He buys a shipload of vegetables and meat and sets one premium villager to learning cooking. His villagers ENTERTAIN him perhaps more than any developer patch or new content ever can, and CAUSE him to want to spend even more money on Wurm.

Now imagine most of his villagers quitting because they are bored as F2P (and they will always be F2P due to whatever reason), then the premium villagers also quit because now all their friends quit, and now Mayor Bill is the only one left. Hardly worth it any more, so he disbands the deed and now he quits, too.

It's not exactly game breaking to let them run around with a pet dog (that is actually a helpful companion and not weaker than a chicken), spar to learn self defense (20fs cap, so still not very useful), and actually be able to survive off foraging and botanizing and fishing their first weeks. Also none of those are things that actually benefit a veteran's f2p alts -- who I would bet make up easily 50-80 percent of the "active" f2p players in the game.

Well I personaly think they already have all they should get for F2P. You want all the bells and whistles buy premium current cost is less then $7 USD a month. That is $1.75 a week boys and girls, if you can not come up with that what the hell are you doing playing online games..Go make some money.

Sickles should be part of the starter kit.

Well it's not really 'ooh 10€ per two months is too expensive', but more like 'why should I pay 10€', I think Brash's ideas will help with that.

I agree especially with the sentiment that we shouldn't say "prem is so cheap, if you want content you should pay for it". The F2P in wurm is to entice people into paying for the game. There are many MMOs out there, and without playing it Wurm really doesn't stand out. If you can make just a small fraction more players get emotionally invested in the game, then you will see more of them upgrading to premium too. There are very few (none?) players who can afford to pay for prem and thinks "you know what? I'm happy enough with what I can do with F2P". Everyone who has the money either upgrades or quits in my opinion. When this behaviour changes, then there will be too much content available to F2P :)

I like these ideas that Brash has put forth. Though whether or not they would bring and keep people, I'm not sure. I personally can't go more than a day without giving in and buying a game's premium because I can't stand limitations.

I was thinking, if you really want to bring people in, and keep them playing, don't restrict their skill gain for the first month or two, and then once this trial period is over, drop their skills down to 20 and freeze them there as if they were a premium player who ran out of premium time. This allows people to come into the game, get used to all of the privileges a premium player enjoys, and then once their account is downgraded to a typical free to play account, they will be more likely to begin a subscription because they have more to lose at that point.

• Like 1

I was thinking, if you really want to bring people in, and keep them playing, don't restrict their skill gain for the first month or two, and then once this trial period is over, drop their skills down to 20 and freeze them there as if they were a premium player who ran out of premium time. This allows people to come into the game, get used to all of the privileges a premium player enjoys, and then once their account is downgraded to a typical free to play account, they will be more likely to begin a subscription because they have more to lose at that point.

To a certain degree, I see #8 working a bit like this, Lets say for two silver, every regular premium player has a onetime option to "sponsor" a F2P player (someone who has NEVER had premium). You can only give it to someone once, you can only get it once. The 2s cost is calculated on the fact a normal first-time premium is 10s but countered by 8s in payouts (2s in bank, a 6s referral; neither of those come with a sponsored month), so its still being "paid for" the same as the old way. Two scenarios I see as being possible:

A) Joe just doesn't believe in paying monthly fees for a online game; he is just stubborn like that. He thinks its a ripoff. He'll pay for a singleplayer console game, but there's just too many games out there he can play free, to want to shell out cash for a "dated, grindy, ugly game". He let his friend Samantha convince him to try out Wurm as a F2P. He's surprised because he is actually liking the game a lot more than he expected, but he is still resistant to the idea of paying $7 a month or so, when he can play some other game for free. But he does grudgingly agree Wurm is quite unlike what he expected. He found he really likes building houses, but with his skills capped at 20, there really is not much future in Wurm for him. So maybe it is about time to be moving onto other games. Samantha decides to up the ante, and she pays 2s to sponsor his first month, determined to get him "hooked" into Wurm. He can pay her back, she says, by building her an elaborate three story stone chateau for her deed, using the recently released content update for multistory. He works to get his stonework up from 20 to 30, then plans out an interesting design using arches and balconies. They take breaks by riding horseback out on the steppes hunting, with Sam watching his back, and suddenly the world has opened up a bit more for him. Now he is starting to really get into building that chateau and thinking how he could, if he wanted, use that one month of higher skills to also build himself a small stonework hunting lodge similar to the one he built for her, just a bit smaller. If he works hard maybe both buildings can be done in the 30 days. then he can live there even as a F2P after the month is over. But the 30 days pass faster than he expects, his skills get dropped back down to 20 and he's back to F2P, walking on foot everywhere. He never did get his hunting lodge built, and no way now he is going to settle for a wood cabin. He kind of misses that horse. Plus he had some really cool ideas on a mini castle design for another friend, but all he can do about it is doodle in WurmPlanner. "It's less than $2 a week," Sam teases him. "You used to spend more than that on movie rentals before you started Wurm." Ok, he says, maybe just one more month or two... and he logs into his paypal account. First thing he does when his stats go back up, is jump on his brown stallion and go for a long solo ride out on the steppe, looking for a place to build that little hunting chalet. Heck, maybe he'll even plant a deed ....

B.) Chad loves Wurm. But his mom refuses to let him spend money on online games, and at 16 there are just no jobs for him in the current economy. No one will hire him to mow lawns or wash their car. Anyway he doesn't have a credit card or Paypal and his mom would never let him buy even a starter subscription. He's been playing Wurm F2P for several months now and trying to scrounge up the 10 silver to get a premium account that way, but its frustratingly hard because all his skills are capped. He just can't work as fast as the higher skilled players, and keeps losing out on work because of his F2P limitations. His mayor is sympathetic, but can't help him. However he does help him get a job working for a neighbor Phil, who runs an independent construction and delivery business. He works really hard making bricks and sawing planks, and Phil is impressed; he might be able to use Chad fulltime if he could only help more by sailing the cog for deliveries and stuff. Chad explains he is trying, he is trying, but its hard. Phil makes him a deal -- he'll sponsor one month of premium time if Chad keeps working as hard as he has, and if he repays Phil, but over an easygoing four month repayment period if thats what it takes for Chad to afford ongoing premium payments as well. Chad's ecstatic, he's actually premium now, and if he works hard during this month, he might be able to keep pulling in the jobs ingame to keep extending that time month after month by paying silver coins for gametime. He doesn't need paypal or a credit card any more. Maybe he'll even be able to buy his own cog and sail from server to server taking on jobs... heck, maybe he;ll even be able to turn around and sponsor his buddy Jason, who has expressed interest in Wurm a few times.

So -- what an active imagination I have ^_^ Is it possible to happen that way? Is it likely to ever happen that way?

For both Chad and Joe, a big added bonus is that, because they were personally sponsored by a premium player, their characters can never be deleted even if they later drop back to F2P.

In both cases, the players started as F2P, had some experience with a limited capped skillset. and some veteran premium player became convinced that they were "really meant for Wurm", enough to use their onetime sponsorship on the newer player. They still had to spend 2 silver out of their pocket, but deals could be made to cover that, and both sides decide it was worth extending one month of paid premium that the recipient either couldn't, or wouldn't, have bought for themselves.

I think that GM's should try and replant the starting area, and try and setup a way so that ONLY free/new accounts could cut those trees.

I've seen perm players clear cut Tap Dance a few times alright. And I've tried myself to replant but the 30+ logs are left in their wake a week later.

But yes, a lot of ppl do not believe in paying to play a game. Thats why pirating is so big, And key gens and such. But Im not to sure really would could be changed that still not give free players to much that they feel there isnt a need to go perm.

Maybe once a free character hits 20skill that when mining/choping they have a 10% chance on getting a mat thats 20.01 - 30.00 QL So they would be able to try and make some tools that are over 20QL. Skills are setup to allow you to get things 10QL above your skill level. And most likely free players dont have the coin or any coin to buy higher QL mats to aim for that 10QL wing space.

Other wise I really cant think of what could be changed and still not give them to much making it easier.

I for one found ship building to be a great starter trade if you want to use the game from start to pay for your account.

I agree with you Brash, this would be good.

And though it will meet resistance, I would want to give them the possibility back to manage a cart with horses. For the reason, that this would make them much more useful to prem-players again - and this in turn would pull them much sooner into a prem-environment where they will want to prem up themselves much sooner (plus it will give them more chances, being able to do hauling-work, to actually earn themselves enough for that prem within a reasonable timeframe).

Make non prems at 20 skill cap be able to have chance to make all materials, like sails,ropes.

I never paid for game, becouse I sell stuff and know how to make money for some time. Had village with non prem and it's useless for non premium character unless you know what you're going to do with it.

I suggest make 1 animal dragger large cart for non premiums, same load but slower ( 1 animal ).

Also bashing your own walls must be possible, so you won't need to destroy all house. Had storage house, double doors was in after few weeks and i couldn't bash to replace...

Also about sporsorship for players. Command /givetime for giving premium time, /selltime for selling and /freezetime for freezing premium you can resume it after 3 days minimum, so if you're on holiday it would be great thing.

Finally non prems have chances to get 10s for month or more if they invest time for game to make usefull materials ( made ~21s per month after turning prem second time with low skills )

1) Let them ride cows again. Cows are slow, heck its faster to walk, but it makes them feel a little left out of things to tell them they can;t even ride cows any more, it helps them defend themselves better against wolves and rats. I'd like to see them also be able to hitch a single milk cow to a small cart and drive that -- small carts are practically useless and it would add an element of pride and fun for a new player to travel about in their small cart and Ol' Bessy. Maybe the cow occasionally tosses them off and decides to stop moving. They are still FUN.

+1

I did suggest a wille back that you shud be able to hitch a singel animal to a small cart and lead the animal with the cart

I think that will give some more use to small carts but you ide is good to.

I miss being able to pull large carts with horses. It would have been useful while I was trying to make money for prem.

1 horse pulling large cart should be available for non prems, slower but at least it will be useful.

+1 for Brash`s idea.

Free players are the motor of the most MMOs out there and im sure wurm would profit from them too. I think in general the current settings for FTP are not enough for many ppl to get "addicted" to wurm. A higher lv cap (e.g. 30) would help. Yes, let them ride a horse, sail in a sailing boat or build a stone house, why not? That would help them a lot to buy their first premium and as since the abilities are still limited to basics, the balance between free and paying players is kept. Ofcourse some features like walls bashing should be excluded.

Another interesting model for FTP wurm could be to let paying players trade their premium time instead of selling premium time at NPC trader. This way the costs for prem. time could be decreased by about 50% (from 10s~10€ to 5€ per month).

@ Beket: What you say is right for US or central europe. But there are also many countries (see eastern europe) where 10 € is lot of money. I fully understand if ppl from those countries think twice before spending that much or even cannot afford to spend that much every two month.

I think there also should be something done about characteristics, so that f2p players who max a lot of their skills before going premium aren't gimped.

+1 For Gagarin.

To help eastern country people it could be like this : the more you buy premium lower price for ingame coins minimum price of prem 5-7s max 10s as usual, also to get lower price you should buy another prem then current is over, so it prevent exploit ( buy prem with 1g and can buy prem later for 5s ) .

About that 30 cap it's good, but stone houses should be for premium users ;) to encourage buying premium.

Also at least 40 cap for woodcutting/mining/digging that's basic resources. With 30 cap you can imp items to 40 becouse 40cap on woodcutting/mining :)

What about a boat thats able to hold 10rafts in it, very slow, and has a 17dirt deep hull? What free players would be able to use.

Something like a two-mast Schooner or a Brigantine

With the max of 6crew members for max speed of 15km/h and an avg of 9km/h solo

That way free player would be able to ship 400dirt/shardes or 1k planks, veggies, ect to help out themselves or the village make coin.

And for the changing skill cap, making it all round 30 would allow a free account to sail any boat there is, brick making and you have your hands on a knarr, you'll never go perm. Maybe only a few skills to 30 like masonry, carp, farming, and fighting. That way players can make a stone house, Less of a worry about running out of veggies, and able to defend themselves and get meat without having to be by water to fish.

Edited by Ronnie

In my opinion, f2p are already greatly benefited by this unlimited free trial. Hell no to increasing any skill cap. We should be encouraging f2p to become premium subscribers, not focusing on how to give f2p more benefits.

Sometimes they add a lot more extra life to a game than even extra paid developers can give.

What planet are you on?

I like the suggestions in the OP. They are balanced and geared towards giving FtP players a full taste of the game, without giving them access to all of the features. I strongly oppose any increase in skill caps, and I am generally opposed to pausing prem time, as it is one of Rolf's major sources of income.

And Jack, some people enjoy the social aspect of this game, which ftp players add to immensely. Shiny new features are nice, but they are much nicer when you have people to share them with. ;)

What planet are you on?

If you are looking at a game with villages disbanding and people quiting because all their friends already left for other games, then it is very possible that a lively dynamic growing population is worth a lot more to that game than the extra content from another dev on the staff. You might argue with that but it is hardly a "you're high on spacegas" argument to make. I don't think Wurm is at that stage now. In fact I think the upcoming new content in December is going to give the game an enormous boost. But I *HAVE* seen other games get to that stage, where adding extra content was worthless in reversing an escalating dying population. Some eventually went F2P to try to reverse that, but by then it was usually already too late.

In fact I assume that was the whole reason Rolf first allowed F2P players to settle on Freedom Islands at all, because he saw that also. And I thought it was one of the smartest business moves he ever made.

All excellent ideas that I agree wholeheartedly on. I definitely think a single horse/cow/bull should be able to pull a small cart, but I don't believe someone should be able to RIDE it.

I wonder to what extent enhancing the experience for new players, and trying to keep long-term f2p players for the social benefits are actually two different beasts?

Let me explain... there is no time... Let me sum up:

A small cart may not seem very useful to a slightly advanced player but to a new player... it's like a light came down from the heavens and shined right on that little cart the first time you bring multiple logs home in one go. There is initially excitement and value in it.

How long until the long-term f2p player grows tired of not having access to a large cart pulled by horses? Would they then upgrade to premium? Or would they just leave since they can't have what many others have? Give the ability to hitch a cow, or bull, or bison to the small cart. That would buy more time but would f2p players be satisfied, for the long term, not having access to the same things they see other people using? If they know that f2p is all they're ever going to be in for, and thus will never be able to reach the same goals as others... would they stay for a long time? I'm not saying don't make changes, as I think for new players all these things will add value! I just wonder if it would be enough to maintain a long-term f2p population.

****************************************************************************************************************

There's also the question of how great it feels to reach a goal. For instance, I only recently started making meals that can get me to 70% nutrition. Every time I ate, I was watching that little bar to see if I might actually be there. If I were able to achieve things too easily and early on in the game for the sake of getting a fuller experience right away, I would have lost out of many things that gave me a satisfying sense of accomplishment. Again, not trying to say no changes should be made, just thought it might be worth mentioning. In some ways, Wurm is a game of steady progress towards delayed satisfaction. Not a very common model.

****************************************************************************************************************

Being able to keep and enjoy some animals is a great thing about Wurm. Sure, let them ride a cow and have fun. Let them tame a dog and make it a useful companion. Taming a dog that visited my campfire was one of the first things I did in Wurm. We parted ways pretty quickly though.

Hitting the open sea to explore is another great facet of Wurm. If a dug out canoe made of a particular type of adequate wood gives them a taste for it, good marketing. Also allows them to be more independent as they explore this vast world to see if they can find the right place to stay long term. A little dugout is never going to be a threat to the boating industry. It just wets the appetite and let's people dream about what they could do once they get their hands on an actual boat.

As far as long-term f2p players though, I'm hit by the same question of whether or not these changes would be enough to satisfy knowing they will always have substantial limitations relative to many other people. Not a statement :) more of a question.

1) Let them ride [milk] cows again.

*+1 Its a funny idea for prem players, but a f2p player sees this as an advancement. All advancements are very rewarding to all players.

2) Let them spar between each other to get fighting skill up to the 20 FS cap.

*abusable

3) Make a few easier low level cooking recipes that have good nutrition.

*a meal can be made at no hfc = 60% base nutrition.

4) Make sickles and fishing poles an easier recipe

*i think i agree, but would it be as rewarding? How about being able to use a wooden spear to fish in shallow water instead.

5) Make pet dogs and wolves be immune to the PET NERF.

*I agree, since I haven't used a dog/wolf to fight since I was a new player. Dogs should be loyal to the death. Aren't they still? Mine seems to be after only 1 taming action and a few days so far.

6) Allow them to make a dugout canoe that can be carried in a large cart and used to explore coastal areas.

*Make it to be made out of 60 reeds, 20 branches/shafts, 30 mixed-grass, 1 dirt/tar (mud/adobe), 1 oar. Weigh 30-50kg (just enough to slow down walking speed for a 20str char.) Repairable, lockable, moor-able. (need to teach them to lock and moor their boats.) Slower than riding a croc and half the speed of a rowboat, but wind could double speed or half speed. And be a container similar to the size of a small chest.

7) DON'T add elements that only make veteran player's F2P alts more useful

*Because this seems unfair to existing players, the new players will see it as a turn off.

8) Make it somehow more attractive for premium players to somehow "sponsor" a free to player into a premium subscription --

*New players gain a significant boost by gaining the referral plus 2s. If it were taken away from them and given to someone else... that would defeat the purpose to give the new player those incentives. They would not understand the concept of silvers, for instance.

*just my 2cents.

It's a good idea, a lot of freemiums would go premium once they manage to collect enough silver. Making the experience more enjoyable would keep them longer and more likely to actually reach that point.