Sign in to follow this  
Sarcaticous

Multi Story Buildings

YES! Make it possible NOT to have floors like Gravitydog said!

It's already in the plans. I.e. build up then remove floors as you like, to create that chuch feeling.

btw what I ment was that building tall buildings should be hard to accomplish, not that it is extra technically difficult to code the feature :)

What about the potential for colums? So we could have a high arched entrance with an arched wall on the first floor while the ground floor just has a column on each side?

Can we get a wall/building type that looks like the Freedom guard towers? I like how it looks and i would like to have a village that matched this style. Maybe the top wood part of this could be made into a roof that could be added into the roofing options that would fit on a 1x1 or a 2x2 so we can make the wizard towers that Rolf wants.

Freedomtower.png

• Like 2

Of course the real important (fun) part. Knocking them down. Will they fall down with spectacular animation or just blink out of existince?

Realisticaly thogh, have the devs decided how catapults and mauls will affect them yet?

Edited by GravityDog

I believe its important to plan ahead and do things right the first time. We should be helping them designed things based on our expectations. All too often in Wurm this is how it goes....Dev does whatever shim personally wants and then the community argues on the suggestion board for years to come over how best improve it.

I hope they are not showing pictures and creating hype for something that they technically can never deliver. Basically, I'm operating under the assumption that technicality isn't an issue. I very well could be wrong. But if it isn't an issue and the only stumbling point is what groups' idea is used, it should be decided with a Vote.

No matter what the devs do, good or bad, with or without input, this couminty will argue endlessly over it.

I see lots of pics of the tall buildings...where are the stairs?...surely going up and down will not be limited to a right click up and down??

Also just for clairity..there is talk of balconies and I believe I saw someone ask about it but I did not see a reply to it...would you be able to build up and out further than the base. As an Example - 1st floor = 3x3....2nd floor =1x1....3rd floor 1x1...4th floor 4x4..or if thats not possible...would one be able...following the above example..... to have narrow center floors with a top floor the same size as base...1st floor=a 3x3.....2nd floor=1x1....3dr floor 1x1...fourth floor =3x3??

And one last item...Since I have read that everything is still up in the air on building heights...Would it be possible to allow multiple builders to work in a group on a large project...As an example - I want to build a large step pyramid..10x10 base..loosing 1 tile each level..so ...why not add in code that allows multipe builders to work as a group to achieve larger buildings?..I have 5 buds (perhaps limiting to all villagers of same settlement) we all have lets say 70 carp +..we add members to a Building Group..then let Group Leader design plan.....This would allow for some very large buildings...but also limit the amount of them as well. Also gives extra incintive for villages....at any rate just a suggestion as I like the idea of having very large buildings..larger than Collosus.... but at the same time also think that a landscape of abandoned 10 story buildings would take away from things.

Stairs, as they have said more then once, are coming later, atm it's mainly proof of concept and testing. Relax, try reading for a change.

3-4 floors/levels is a good cap on height, otherwise you'll end up with a never ending race to build skyscrapers. Yes, I know you idiots want them. Go build them on freedom and stay off chaos where skyscrapers will ruin pvp even further.

Untitled.png

Edited by Nomadikhan

Yes, I know you idiots want them.

I can tell you feel strongly about this topic. I share your fear that Wurm could very likely wind up being a towering metropolis of skyscrapers on every server even with the potential skill difficulties.

That said, you will gain more listeners to your view with less derision. Relax, try non-inflammatory remarks for a change.

• Like 1

Stairs, as they have said more then once, are coming later, atm it's mainly proof of concept and testing. Relax, try reading for a change.

3-4 floors/levels is a good cap on height, otherwise you'll end up with a never ending race to build skyscrapers. Yes, I know you idiots want them. Go build them on freedom and stay off chaos where skyscrapers will ruin pvp even further.

I think that three(3) floors is high enough until Ladders and/or Stairs are implemeted, and I question whether the "Tech Level" of Wurm ingame is high enough to support building any structure higher than 3 floors anyways.... can we justify Wurm having any building higher than that when Wurm doesn't even have gun powder or indoor plumbing? (NO I am not asking for these features).

Just this Idiot's point of view.

Edited by Kyrmius

I agree with that, Most houses were 2 maybe 3 storey's at most, about the only major structures of this "time" were churches and Castles, Keeps, Fortifications.. but these were built with MASSIVE amounts of rock, brick, mortar in which to support that weight.

What about this... You want to build multistorey, you have to add additional materials the the floors underneath to provide enough support? Try this...

1st floor (60bricks/mortar per wall) > 2nd floor (50 bricks/mortar) > so on til the last floor at the highest point is the normal 20bricks and mortar.

Yeah, it uses a crap ton of materials but it's realistic in that you are using extra materials to provide the lower wall support since they'd be load bearing. This way your building height is simply reduced to whether you can get the amount of materials needed. Dedicated people or towns could do this easily, noobs or loners wanting to grief would be a little out of luck or much slower..

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 2

I agree with that, Most houses were 2 maybe 3 storey's at most, about the only major structures of this "time" were churches and Castles, Keeps, Fortifications.. but these were built with MASSIVE amounts of rock, brick, mortar in which to support that weight.

What about this... You want to build multistorey, you have to add additional materials the the floors underneath to provide enough support? Try this...

1st floor (60bricks/mortar per wall) > 2nd floor (50 bricks/mortar) > so on til the last floor at the highest point is the normal 20bricks and mortar.

Yeah, it uses a crap ton of materials but it's realistic in that you are using extra materials to provide the lower wall support since they'd be load bearing. This way your building height is simply reduced to whether you can get the amount of materials needed. Dedicated people or towns could do this easily, noobs or loners wanting to grief would be a little out of luck or much slower..

I would agree with this all the way. It fits I think with many other aspects of Wurm. We may never actually SEE the bottom walls being thicker, but we sure would know they are thicker after the work we put into them.

3 floors is enough... 2nd at 50 skill and 3rd at 70 skill or something.

This makes a lot of sense and only adds to the difficulty, hopefully detracting casual experimenters. Serious builders would have to supply not only the increased skill but additional supplies. Brilliant!

Not going to get into specific numbers but please don't go making it hell for the casual player to enjoy multistory buildings. I mean do make it a hefty challenge as it goes higher in floors, but you get what I'm saying.

One thing I might add is: The more floors, the faster the decay. I know, doesn't mean much on a deed I guess, but what people do on their deeds is between them and their neighbors really. At the very least, if someone wants to build a huge tower next to your deed just to shoot arrows at you, it will be a relatively prohibitive undertaking to maintain considering your own counterattacks.

I really don't like the idea of catering to a few isolated instances and limiting the mad architect that wants to devote himself to the next Tower of Pisa... or whatever they envision. Liberty for all.

Naturally there will be a limit of some sorts, but I still think that should be based on tangible, quantifiable reasoning than just a desire to impose one's own particular esthetic preferences on others.

• Like 1

3 floors is enough... 2nd at 50 skill and 3rd at 70 skill or something.

Yeah, this seems like a decent plan to me too. Allows for realistically sized buildings that allow the player quite a bit of creative freedom at proper levels.

*Edit*

Let the record reflect that I had gone back and removed the aesthetics portion of my comment before Reylaark's subsequent comment had posted because I had thought it was a poor choice of words. I certainly believe that however a player decides to decorate their areas in Wurm are only limited by their imagination and, of course, the game's coding.

Edited by Taxton

Yeah, this seems like a decent plan to me too. Allows for realistically sized, aesthetically designed buildings that allow the player quite a bit of creative freedom at proper levels.

It would not be a wise precendent to start having Art Police imposing their own idea of "aesthetic." Next you're going to tell me I can't mix wood and stone walls because it doesn't appeal to you. Let's make a rule for that.

Stone slabs on the slope of a hill? Well now that's not aesthetically pleasing... nor would steppe tiles be. Art Police has decided slopes of a hill should be grass, with flowers cut unless they are all the same exact kind. No purple flowers next to the yellow ones. Let's limit people on that...

Extremes sure, but you get the idea.

Edit for typo.

Edited by Reylaark
  • Like 1

Its a sandbox lets make cool features them limit them in sill ways.

• Like 2

You forgot wood. Those buildings have a frame of massive timbers. Even the archs used timbers until the last stone was inserted at the top. Without the timbers you couldn't build anything higher than one floor that would stand for any time. Even with the timbers there were practical limits to all but the most socially and economically important buildings.

• Like 1

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, September 1, 2012 - OT
Hidden by KaiH, September 1, 2012 - OT

Its a sandbox lets make cool features them limit them in sill ways.

It's a sandbox. Let the cat do it's business in it. :lol:

Just my thinking..but 3 floors doesnt seem like it will satisfy Rolfs demand for wizard towers...from my point of view..wizard towers are 6 to 10 floors...but just my thinking....not to mention 3 floors just seems a bit minimalist for such a cool feature...If people on pvp servers want to limit it for pvp purposes..fine...limit to death on them...but dont limit freedom servers.

Edited by sunsvortex

Would it be possible to allow multiple builders to work in a group on a large project...As an example - I want to build a large step pyramid..10x10 base..loosing 1 tile each level..so ...why not add in code that allows multipe builders to work as a group to achieve larger buildings?..I have 5 buds (perhaps limiting to all villagers of same settlement) we all have lets say 70 carp +..we add members to a Building Group..then let Group Leader design plan.....This would allow for some very large buildings...but also limit the amount of them as well
It wouldn't really limit them, you could plan another in 24 hours...

It wouldn't really limit them, you could plan another in 24 hours...

The limit would be in the fact that it would take multiple builders to build very large structures..while you may have a number of very large structures around..they would not become indemic as it should take a large number of people online at the same time..with high level carp skills..all in the same group...How often will this happen?...not as often as allowing everyone to be able to do it.

Untitled.png

See over your wall ?. probably.

Shoot over a tall wall or building? , you can not do that now even if on a mountain or dirt tower so you shuld be ok there .

See over your wall ?. probably.

Shoot over a tall wall or building? , you can not do that now even if on a mountain or dirt tower so you shuld be ok there .

True lol, takes others input sometimes to see the bigger picture I guess lol