Sign in to follow this  
Amber

Alternatives

Like all one-man-teams, this one moves slow but seems to be making regular progress, so maybe keep an eye out for it to go alpha at some stage: Forging Life At one point I had contacted the author as I was concerned that " Killing innocents and steal their hard earned valuables is another option" was a reference to PvP, but he explained he meant it more as a player-bandit who stalks NPC characters as a roleplaying choice -- its actually at this stage a single player game and won't be focused on PvP much even if multiplayer is added later.

If you like the idea of a single-player survival simulator, AND you are not too picky about pretty 3D graphics, also check out Unreal World, which is set timewise in the Iron Age of Finland and is kind of a blend between Wurm gameplay and Dwarf Fortress graphics. So you can start a farm, hunt reindeer, and you literally run the risk at all times of dying to elements, starving, getting injured and dying etc -- at which stage your character goes on to "the land of their ancestors" and you have to start fresh with a new character.

Although it is really more of a "sandy themepark" than a true sandbox, you could also check out Vanguard: Saga of Heroes now that it has a free top play option. Also along the lines of crafter-heavy MMOs, also see Istaria (formerly: Horizons) and the french-made Ryzom, which has some fascinating unique elements.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I have been keeping an eye on this game called First Earth: http://firstearthgame.com/

It seems to be developed by 1 man and alpha testing is coming this month apparently at august 31st for those who bought the game. It seems very much like wurm and very promising