Sign in to follow this  
trashmanguy

There Is Hope: Life Is Feudal

I have been keeping up on the forums with this sandbox game since the beginin of the year. As I have no friends who share my interest in games like this Im posting it here. If I had to sum it up it will be similar to wurm in the way you can change the land. You can dig, mine tunnels, cut trees and all that jazz. Should be a little more easier to gain skill, but we shall see. The combat is said to be similar to Mount and Blade. The coolest part of the game imo is that you can create your own village which can keep expaning into a kingdom with villages/towns under it. As a kingdom you can controll land and the land can be contested with battles.

If I am leaving anything out check out the forum for more detail and ask question and the creator will answer very quickly. http://lifeisfeudal.com/ They have a team of about 5-10 working on it with decent funding. Plan alpha testing is in December, although the best way to get in is to have a group/guild set up. I am trying to gather some of my old friends or just fellow wurmians to join me. So make a forum account and lend your sword! My guild is called Noriyah Landing as an homage to the village I was in on JK home. I can't wait to play this game.

I was impressed after reading the things you can do in this game. Actually it looked to me like a copy of Wurm, only they are a few major steps further. But after watching the video my enthousiasm got a big blow. I really dislike the camera viewing angle and prebuild castle blocks. It reminded me of the latest RTS games. I'm affraid this game will bore very quickly. For example: After 4 years I just started building my first guard tower in Wurm. Making the necessary materials was pretty easy (pretty high skills) but when I got to attaching the pieces it put me with my feet back on the ground. Everything is an effort in Wurm and that's what makes it so great and rewarding. It's been 1 year since i started my own deed but I'm nowhere near 30% of all the things I have in mind to do. Makes you want to return every day after a hard (boring) day at work. So now with all the progress that's going on (multi-story building, customized clothing,...) eventually we'll get there.

When I checked it out a few months back I thought it had some promise. When I actually took the time to read the key features a few minutes ago it pretty much ended any thought I had in playing it. Why they even bother having skill levels at all, whats the point if its that easy. Looks like when the game finally does come out the most challenging thing you will ever have to do is download it.

• Minimum grind for necessary skill levels or stats.

Skills are measured from 0 to 100. Reaching skill level 90 will be relatively easy (2-5 days of “powergaming†or few weeks of relaxed evening gaming) and will give access to full powers in a skill, while reaching skill level 100 will take a HUGE amount of effort and will not provide you with any ingame advantage, except title and something you can show off to others to be recognized and worshipped.

Looked interesting then i saw this:

• Minigames concept.

Some crafting skills are fun by themselves (tunnel building/mining, alchemy experiments, construction/architecture) but some skills are plainly boring (make 1000 boards for a house, then 10000 more for a keep). Our plan, is to give our players a choice:

1) Select “autocraft†option and lean back, or

2) Play a minigame.

Flash minigames will be opened in a built in browser. You will be able to play a minigame themed accordingly to the skill you are using now. Minigames will exploit common casual games concepts (tetris, match 3 colors, puzzle, press a button in right time, etc.) Scores will be compared with scores of other players in last 24 hours, and if you manage to get in the top 10% of server population, you will be slightly rewarded in your skill use results. These minigames will be accessible from our site, thus you will be able to fulfill your score results pool during day at work, or ask some friends to play for you if you hate those flashy timekillers.

No thanks

EDIT:

Why cant i properly paste stuff?

Edited by atazs

Aye, my concerns are the same as listed above. Being able to reach 90 in any skill in 2-5 days is to me a total gamebreaker. Full loot PvP without PvE-only servers, is another gamebreaker. As soon as I saw those two, I lost all interest in this game. The crafting mini-games with flash games like tetris etc sounds frankly very dumb and VERY immersion-breaking, and potentially the last straw for me. Basically a fast action PvP oriented game mostly aimed at casual players. No thanks.

I am super happy to see someone making a quality sandbox game, we certainly need more in this genre, but this one has too many issues that for me would totally kill it as any type of replacement for Wurm, or even as a casual distraction.

I wish them very well, if only because I would like to see the sandbox genre expanded, in hopes someone DOES actually make down the road, a game that I would actually like to play, and to give my money to. This is not that game. I wish it was.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I'm not sure how it will play skill wise and sped up, but damn good looking castle walls, windmills, can make a moat at will ... I sometimes wonder if I still get satisfaction spending years building a deed vrs the ability to make and remake it in a matter of weeks.

I'm eager to try it and see for myself when it releases, worst case I dont find it enjoyable and stick with Wurm, as more Wurm style games are made the more choices there will be, its good for the sandbox world if it doesnt fail like Xyson.

Ahh, I wondered when there would be another thread about Life is Feudal would emerge :)

I have secretly been involved with that game for about a year and a half writing the backstory and some lore. A fast paced game looks really cool, I will for sure be playing it at least for a while when they begin open testing.

Been a fan of this game since day one. Will be playing it! Its About time game developers are getting rid of grinds.

Us kids these day are way to busy spending time grinding.

That's for old school PAC man gamers.