Sign in to follow this  
Torgrim

Make Wurm Appeal More To Role Players

I see great potential for role playing in Wurm, more so than most games I have played, but there are some things missing for it to really take off. If these things were addressed this game could attract serious amounts of role players!

1. Animation and visible armor/weapons/clothing. - This will happen eventually, hopefully with more clothing options and such added as well.

2. Placing things on tables, in bookshelves etc. - Not sure when this will happen.

3. Sitting on chairs. - Will this happen at the same time as animation?

4. More building options. - In development.

5. More use for food and beverages, also visibile and placable on tables.

6. Possibility to have alliance or village wars on freedom servers. (has to be opt in)

The two first items are really important, I think those are probably what keeps RP:rs away currently.

I'm by no means a hardcore role player, but it would be nice to be able to do some RP sometimes, meetings at the local pub, fishing competitions, markets with real people displaying and selling thier wares etc. With the current Wurm these things are a bit hard to do and with the lack of graphics it gets a bit dull...

• Like 2

Heh its getting there slowly but surely as volunteers work on it and newer technologies are adepted.

6. Possibility to have alliance or village wars on freedom servers. -> already possible(chaos)!!

the rest has been suggested often it will be implemented some day.

6. Possibility to have alliance or village wars on freedom servers. -> already possible(chaos)!!

the rest has been suggested often it will be implemented some day.

No, that's not opt in. I mean on the PvE servers, and only for those who wants to participate, could also be more restrictive or configurable by alliance leaders if structures should be possible to destroy, funds possible to drain, players looted etc.

No, that's not opt in. I mean on the PvE servers, and only for those who wants to participate, could also be more restrictive or configurable by alliance leaders if structures should be possible to destroy, funds possible to drain, players looted etc.

Just stay Freedom and don't worry about that stuff. If you need to have all that fidelity with respect to PvP, then you aren't the type to participate. Seriously, you guys have enough rules on Freedom, all that would do is make things even more complex.

Why wouldn't I be the one to participate, how would you know? I like occational PvP when I choose to, nothing wrong with that ,I'm pretty sure others do as well. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

This thread was not really about PvP, that 's on 6th place on the list, don't get why it has to get all the attention. The other stuff is more important.

With the setup for Wild/Chaos as it is, you can "Opt-in" by crossing the server line, and "Opt-out" the same way. Rolf tried bringing PVP to the freedom servers before and it was... interesting...

Granted, you didn't have opt-in options on it, but personally I think this would cause more problems (such as people who don't want to PVP, but joined a town that the mayor decided later they wanted to?) and still be under utilized since the majority of players on freedom go to Wild/Chaos or Epic for their PVP fix already.

I'm all for PVP, but think changing a section of the game that doesn't support it, in order to do it, not a good idea.

Another thing that needs to be addressed with regards to role-play is the chat system. The Local chat is far to far for close conversation and role-play. If you are talking to someone face to face, or in a room, everyone in 80 or so tiles (that's 320 meters) can hear you loud and clear. That's a bit too much. They can not only hear you, but see your emotes. How does someone hundreds of meters from me know if I am bowing to someone?

Add a chat tab called Immediate and have its range 10 tiles, and hampered by walls.

Add a chat tab called Immediate and have its range 10 tiles, and hampered by walls.

add a new command /w <message> which does a whisper, and only travels 5 tiles, and between 5 and 10, get 'mumble' in local instead

This thread was not really about PvP, that 's on 6th place on the list, don't get why it has to get all the attention. The other stuff is more important.

Because everything except #6 is already in development, probably.

I would love to see more roleplay options in the game, I am sure besides the chat options there are other new ideas people can suggest.

Yes, I like the chat suggestions. That would help alot. If you want to go advanced with those, maybe limit the distance you can hear immidiate chat by house walls etc. and add positioning and flavor info to the text.

(Torgrim, muffled, from the left) > Don't show this to anyone please.

(Crusho, loud, from the right) > Show what!?

Because everything except #6 is already in development, probably.

I would love to see more roleplay options in the game, I am sure besides the chat options there are other new ideas people can suggest.

Yup - Rolf's latest update: 1.0 Internal Date Set

Oops, sorry, you said roleplay and i got interested, good ploy. :)

But realy RP is play style. Im not an expert on this ( looks for Levedara ) but imo RP is taking a role and playing accordingly to that role, new or more content dosnt matter as you play the role with the resources available.

Having said that there isnt anything stopping you RPing now, theres plenty to work with just that you dont have all the candy yet.

Heh last time I did any serious RP was on rp-enforced MUDS: star wars and a dungeons 'n dragons-based one to name the last two.

I believe the star wars one is still going... Legends of the Jedi.

But realy RP is play style. Im not an expert on this ( looks for Levedara ) but imo RP is taking a role and playing accordingly to that role, new or more content dosnt matter as you play the role with the resources available.

Having said that there isnt anything stopping you RPing now, theres plenty to work with just that you dont have all the candy yet.

Sorry Oracle, didn't mean to trick you into reading, and it wasn't meant as a ploy. Yes, RP is a play style, but there are certain aspects of a game that make it more appealing to RPrs than other games. If that wasn't true how would RPrs choose one game over another? It is more fun to RP the more the game plays with you. If the only RP support you have is the chat system it's not going to appeal to anyone anymore than the next game is it?

Things like being able to tell people appart by appearance, sit in chairs, place items on the ground or on tables where and how you like, being able to build nice visual environments for your role playing, making up your own PvP roles for your battles etc. are nice things that will actually make the role playing alot more fun.

The more resources you have available, the more fun you're going to have, it's as simple as that.

I think I consider myself a Roleplayer, having played several "roleplaying" games(no Skyrim or any other pc RPG does not count) that really build upon playing a role, however I tell you..none of those suggestions are truelly needed for being a roleplaying game, absolutly none.

A certaint game, called illarion, has walk animations, thats it, no sitting down no nothing and you know what, it still works.

Just let me give you a two simpleexamples of what happend in the game, The game had, in its beginnings, no seasonchance, people still played it out, they actually used to throw flour at each other, pretending it was snowballs.

There were posioness potions, that killed you, when you drunk two after each other, players simply refered and roleplayed those as beer, probably because of their yellow colour.

What i wanna say is, yes animations and using the gameworld to enhance your own experience is all nice and fine, but the more complex the system gets, the bigger the impact on the roleplay is. As soon as you implement more and more into the game, you will use those functions and if anyone writtesasomethign as *" #me sits down, taking a gulb from his winegoblet*" than you obviously want the char to play that out, if the animations are there, however suddendly not seeing such animations might simply destroy the immersion for you, simply because you got used to them.

Wurm with its far superion worldshaping possibilitys is a great place to rp, if you want to, but its really not needed to add more, after all your fantasy can draw you into your play much more than anything this game could produce

True, but it's hard to get into character (for me) when every guy looks like my twin, when I am wearing armor... but aren't, etc. Some of Torgrim's ideas are good ones as far as RP goes. So Yes, what tools you have (game features and options) do matter when it comes to RP.

No we don't absolutely need these suggestions to RP, but I would prefer they be added and I pretty much already RP much of the time. It sure will be awesome when we can customize our avatars soon. I won't be able to see myself but at least I can try to look different. ;)

Edited by Kyrmius

1. Animation and visible armor/weapons/clothing. - This will happen eventually, hopefully with more clothing options and such added as well.

I really agree with this. I do beleive that being able to dress yourself like you want is a must for this game, and also it would add a lot of work for tailors.

Do these spiked armguards make my ass look fat?

I think I consider myself a Roleplayer, having played several "roleplaying" games(no Skyrim or any other pc RPG does not count) that really build upon playing a role, however I tell you..none of those suggestions are truelly needed for being a roleplaying game, absolutly none.

Of course you can role play without these features, you can role play in an irc channel and skip the game part completly, but I'm talking about the kind of RP where you actually play the game and use the features to your advantage.

Having more features only adds to the fun unless those features are somehow limiting what you can do. The features in my list are in no way limiting, they just add more options, which should be a good thing entirely.

Think for yourself, what is more fun. Playing a game where you can't build houses but anyway roleplaying that you have a house or playing a game where you can actually have a house to role play in?

Maybe then you say, in my imagined house the walls were made of candy and the roof was made of clouds, this Wurm house looks so boring! Well, you can still prented the house is made o candy and clouds but at least now you have a house :)