Sign in to follow this  
WalkerInTheVoid

Channeling Vs Difficulty

So, priest-related question. How much channeling skill does one need for a spell of a given difficulty, are there any rules of thumb?

To clarify, I'm under the following knowledge, please advise if any of this is wrong:

1. There is no such thing as having so much channeling that you no longer fail. It is possible to shatter anything no matter how high your channeling is.

2. Channeling skill is the primary determining factor (besides Alignment) in whether you succeed or fail.

3. Characteristics like Soul Strength, Soul Depth help determine how well you succeed when you do so. (I.E. Higher soul depth makes better CoC/WoA/LT/MS/etc casts possible, or at least more likely. The link between Channeling and success "amount" is more tenous but does exist.

So especially given #1, I'm not looking for "Oh at this point you won't break things anymore" cause a priest can and sooner or later will get unlucky. I'm more asking for "Up until X Channeling you're just wasting time & favor even trying to cast a spell of Y Difficulty."

1. Yes.

2. Primary, Sort of. Theres ALOT of other factors.

3. Yes those stats help alot.

30~ channeling is when you can start casting and not breaking 99% of everything you cast on, depending on other stats and pure luck determines how much you still break

I agree with KellyTxX, you have your info correct, just missing various factors on #2.

My tolerance for shattering is much lower it seems though, I was pulling my hair trying to improve difficulty 50 spells on 30 level casts with channeling 50ish still, and at item ql 50 was shattering 1 in 3 at least, trying to improve a cast specifically. In my opinion a priest is truthfully useful at 65+ channeling, but that's just an opinion based on patience level ;)

That said, at 96 channeling I have not shattered an item in years including 30ql items (except when linked and on a low ql item). So while true that the theory is shattering is still possible at high levels, I have not experienced this directly in hundreds, maybe thousands of casts.

Edited by GoG

Thanks for the helpful info. I guess I should amend #2 that Channeling is perhaps the easiest/largest factor to IMPROVE, since characteristics are not fast risers.

SD can rise pretty fast if you have the money to buy veg and meat constantly, I know some of the people I have packed pans for were getting at least 1pt per day

Rolf explained that the channelling casts are calculated using a bell curve, the numbers below are not confirmed but approximate

If the number is on the right half of the curve then you have a success and a power value is allocated.

If the number is on the left then you have failed the cast. If it is in the lowest 5% band then its a shatter, if in the lowest 25% its a damaged target item. Higher than that and its just meh.

Things like channelling,soul depth, faith bonus from altars and spell difficulty affects where on the curve the positive/negative point lies. more channelling, soul depths and faith bonus pushes the line left while higher spell difficulty pulls it to the right. Oh, spell difficulty has a big impact on the results.

This means that you can always shatter but the better you are the less likely it is to happen (that last 5% band can get awfully thin....) and while you can always get the 103 cast you'll see your average cast boosted rather than your peak one.

Hope you find this useful.

If you can get a coastal deed with flat land you can do fishing and farming and hot food cooking, all 3 will raise your soul depth, throw in some tracking too and you'll be rocking some serious SD in no time

Others touch on it but you should add item ql to #2. The item ql has a huge impact on sucess chance. There is one more thing I believe that is not mentioned, the number of previous enchants on the item, an item with 2 enchnats on it already is harder to enchant than an unenchanted one.

Others touch on it but you should add item ql to #2. The item ql has a huge impact on sucess chance. There is one more thing I believe that is not mentioned, the number of previous enchants on the item, an item with 2 enchnats on it already is harder to enchant than an unenchanted one.

its not that great a factor, at lower levels, oh god yes... the word shatter becomes one to hate but as you get to higher levels the impact of low ql is significantly mitigated.I rarely get shatters on anything anymore, even lower than 10ql items though I can still damage quite a few.

Look in your Spell effects for Faith bonus. You should have your priests god domain in the area and as high as possible Faith bonus (determined by QL of the dominant altar).

Currently influence is bugged and if you feel that your faith bonus is not according to the altar you think should be dominant you can push it and wait 1-15mins for it to update (you also need to move to another tile for the update to happen to you).

You can have up to 50 faith bonus (or possibly a bit more) with very high altar, past 90 faith your added faith will also increase your faith bonus. Faith bonus gives good chance boost.

Adding to this, it is also possible to accumulate your village Enchanting bonus % by sacrificing items which are towards enchanting (and not for war dmg/healing). This will also increase your chances to succeed. (priest needs to be full favor to sac for bonuses, followers are more handy for this purpose)

Edited by Raybarg

Adding to this, it is also possible to accumulate your village Enchanting bonus % by sacrificing items which are towards enchanting (and not for war dmg/healing). This will also increase your chances to succeed. (priest needs to be full favor to sac for bonuses, followers are more handy for this purpose)

This is the first I've heard of sacrificing for village bonuses. How does that all work?

I'm sure there's some info in the wiki somewhere, but a bit of searching hasn't uncovered it for me :/

Basically everything saccable fits into one of 3 categories - fighting, healing and enchanting. Having a follower sac them, or a priest on full favor will confer a small % boost to that category on that deed for a short length of time. The more you sac, the more the bonus. I'm not sure what items fit into which categry though.

This is the first I've heard of sacrificing for village bonuses. How does that all work?

badly.

The amount you sacrifice is biiiiiig and the bonus decays. Horton did a lot of tests on it and building up the bonus was hard enough, maintaining it over any length of time more so.

I believe he sacrificed just about every unique item that there is.

Edited by Klaa

Tried saccing anywhere from 500 to 3000 doorlocks in a day.. and the enchanting bonus went down both times.

So im not sure if it even works.. or if it does how.

Tried saccing anywhere from 500 to 3000 doorlocks in a day.. and the enchanting bonus went down both times.

So im not sure if it even works.. or if it does how.

If you did it as a priest saccing for favor to cast, it doesn't work. Has to be full favor / follower.