Sign in to follow this  
sfaleron

Take Vs Steal

I've asked around some, and have yet to get a clear and unambiguous answer. Why are some items "steal" and others "take"? If I drop some heavy barrels to escape a spider, can anyone come by and pillage it (or just unlawful premium players with high body control or whatever, heh)? I see both options inside and outside deeds, so there's more to it than that. Maybe I was still inside the "perimeter" after leaving some village (yeah, that's confusing, too), but it's still unclear what's going on inside a village. How do I get the privilege of leaving "steal only" stuff lying around? Is that for members of a village, perhaps? Plus, it's nice to drop stuff you don't need in newbie areas, so presumably it'd be an optional thing.

And yes, I did get pillaged after fleeing from a spider that eventually caught up to me because it was a dirt road. Lost my rare parsley and 26 catfish filets :) The barrels were still nearby, at least :)

The certain ways to make it so people have to "steal" are to drop your stuff in a village or a house you own which is locked. However, I also believe that on the GV server at least, items that were nearby you (within a couple of tiles) were steal only to people who were not your friends. That said, I don't know if this remains on the Freedom servers right now, though it should certainly not exist on Epic.

Last time I checked it was like that on the freedom servers, items around your feet can't be taken.

Also, your house doesn't need to be locked, the writ alone is enough, works the same as a deed.

Edited by Keldun
  • Like 1

However, I also believe that on the GV server at least, items that were nearby you (within a couple of tiles) were steal only to people who were not your friends. That said, I don't know if this remains on the Freedom servers right now
I'm pretty sure this is the case. I've had to move away from people when I've been sorting things on some cases when it involved dropping an item.

So stuff inside a village is on some kind of timeout and eventually becomes takeable? I suppose I am getting to the point where making an alt just to test stuff out is sounding worthwhile. I racked up about four days of gametime in 7 or 8 days of RL time. To evaluate, you see.

You can't pick stuff up you yourself dropped if there's another player nearby? That doesn't sound right. It'd be an interesting way to make a nuisance of one's self if it were the case! It obviously keeps track of the last possessor, otherwise you wouldn't be able to take your own things inside a village.

Edited by sfaleron

Here is how it is set up:

Freedom (PvE) servers:

1 - Items dropped on a deed (Any deed) are controlled by the deed settings, which in most cases means that ONLY the person who dropped the item, members of the deed, and allies of the deed can pick them up. {In some cases, most often on GM controlled start deeds but it can be set on player owned deeds, a setting can be enabled which will allow anyone to take anything that can be picked up.}

2 - House Writs act like mini-deeds as long as the writ is complete (All walls finished) in that only people who drop an item or someone listed on the writ have access to the items inside.

3 - Items dropped outside of a writ on un-owned ground (anything off deed, including perimeter) on the freedom servers can be picked up by anyone using the take command, as long as the player that dropped them is not standing close (within ~5 tiles). the player that dropped the item can always pick it up in this case.

PvP servers:

I do not know specifically how item 3 applies on Chaos or any of the Epic servers, tho in theory it should not apply at all there, meaning that anyone can take any item that is dropped on undeeded lands regardless of where the person who dropped it is standing. Players are expected to deal with such uncouth behavior using sharp pointy objects, not game mechanics.

In the case of items 1 and 2 the same rules apply, but instead of being unable to take the items if you aren't legally able to do so, you will have the 'steal' command and may attempt to steal the item, but may lose reputation and/or run afoul of the deed guards, who will then try to kill you.

Hope this helps.

edit..

Expansion on item 3. the conditions for item 3 will apply on a deed on the freedom servers, as long as the person who dropped the item is near, no-one else can pick the item up. (thank you keldun for reminding me of that, which also brings up:)

The exception to item 3 is if the player trying to pick up the item is on the friends list, village list, or team list of the person who dropped it, in which case they ALSO can collect the item, even if the person who dropped it is still standing there.

• Like 2

Nr 3 does not only work off deed, it is the same on deed when the permission is set.

@sfaleron, plese reread it carefully, seems you understood some thing exactly the opposite way round.