Sign in to follow this  
Xallo

Aggresive Animal Pathing

+1 for the OP.

No one loses, and people do get what they pay for: protection from the templar on your deed. Your templar attacks any aggressive animals ondeed.

However, people would no longer have the option to pay for having a particular significant, automatic, and game-affecting for others, in-game advantage when they do not play (they're offline). Note that they still get some: any neighbour or stranger needing help chased by a mob, may bring it to their templar, and the corpse stays on-deed. It's from an action of a player, then, though, not automatic.

Regarding why: I can see the argument that wild animals don't know the "laws of men", sure, but they can learn and associate civilized areas with danger. While deed is not synonym to civilized, it's probably a good approximation for the game.

If you feel so strongly that they (or some) should still wander on deeds unprovoked, personally I'd think a very small chance of them doing so (very small chance of them choosing to step on a deed tile), would be fit as well. Better than this, anyway.

Edited by Looniel
  • Like 1

I was thinking of a fix to this but yours is way better. This gets a +1000 from me.

Completely remove spirit guards from freedom only so people have to use tower guards. So you have to be online to kill animals.

Completely remove spirit guards from freedom only so people have to use tower guards. So you have to be online to kill animals.

Maybe a small increase in deed upkeep costs to cover the loss in silver paid to the kingdom (server) on the deed guards (spirit templars)?

Only problem I see with this is the limit on how close guard towers can be placed to each other. It leaves a chance that you might be in a "void" between guard coverage if someone purchases extra perimeter space. Could also be more likely to see those "tower slums" someone mentioned previously...

Edited by Hussars

You haven't really thought this through before you posted, have you?

Imposing limits in a sandbox game is a very bad idea. Forcing people to look at guard towers every 50 tiles is horrible.

The suggestion posted by the OP is very good in that it doesn't limit or force people to do anything, but still maintains the usefulness of spirit templars to new players that haven't had the chance to train up fight skill yet or simply doesn't want to.

• Like 1

doubt this will happen to many people would fire templars means less money for rolf

This^

I'm not okay with this being an automated process that goes on while they're logged out, at the cost of other peoples enjoyment.

Perhaps this is the solution. Spirit Templars will kill only when the deed owner or a citizen is logged on. Any other time they are basically inactive. It might be easier to code than anything else.

Edited by Sarcaticous

I highly doubt a few animals getting killed by guards here and there are impeding anyone's enjoyment. I would go as far as to say they are making the game more enjoyable especially for those who have no desire for combat or are new players. Don't walk to your neighbors deed, groan a bit, and then go home disappointed. Get out there and hunt. There are plenty of animals to go around.

• Like 1

Someone needs to lock every one of these pointless "Your guards are killing EVERYTHING" whines. They are multiplying like lemmings and really solve nothing. It's like arguing about how much air the person down the street is breathing. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

. Don't walk to your neighbors deed, groan a bit, and then go home disappointed. Get out there and hunt.

Sadly those nieghbours deed are all over the place, sometimes even touching perimeters with my own. I didnt ask for those, and I will respect that they need help killing stuff. Completely fine with me, hence the OP makes sense. They get the help they need without costing someone else enjoyment. If you want to see how bad it can get, please refer to pictures like these about "a few animals"

http://heretic.tempd...mages/92417.jpg

Just go ahead and compare the amount of live animals to the amount of dead stuff on that deed. They really do kill all wildlife in an area. Its only more obvious what these deeds do on good grounds like deserts and steppes becuase you can actually see how barren and dead the whole surroundings are, in a forest its still somewhat hidden.

Edited by Alyeska

You just have to look Alyeska, honestly. My friends and I sometimes travel for thirty or more minutes before we find a good hunting spot but it's worth it. Don't wreck the game for others because you can't be bothered to go hunting; you could even go fishing if it's that hard to find food. The major problem I see with this is that if the animal populations go without being culled like this many players are going to have to lure animals to their deed for quite a significant amount of time before they'll be able to travel in safety.

• Like 1

You just have to look Alyeska, honestly. My friends and I sometimes travel for thirty or more minutes before we find a good hunting spot but it's worth it. Don't wreck the game for others because you can't be bothered to go hunting; you could even go fishing if it's that hard to find food. The major problem I see with this is that if the animal populations go without being culled like this many players are going to have to lure animals to their deed for quite a significant amount of time before they'll be able to travel in safety.

We've toured more than one server before attempting to find this sacred hunting spot, but every time we find one, someone will eventually plant a huge deed on it with no buildings, some terraformed plots, and templars. The deed owner then goes proceeds to go inactive, but by then has already placed 6 months of upkeep in it, therefore completely wiping out the hunting in that region for years to come.

Also, if you settle near a massive hunting region, perhaps you should, you know, train up your Fight Skill? What logic is there behind throwing your deed on top of a Troll Cave only to complain about how annoying and overpowered trolls are after being killed by one? There is none whatsoever. Instead of ruining the hunting for others, be considerate and either sway away from known or obvious hunting grounds, or set your templars not to kill aggressives. If you can't kill the aggressives that walk onto your deed, then you shouldn't have settled there in the first place. Harsh? Maybe, but this is coming from someone who has seen multiple hunting grounds ruined on every server in this cluster simply because of some inconsiderate person who collects meat from animals randomly walking onto their deed without care for others. As you said, they can just get food from fishing, yeah?

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 1

For those curious, current creature stats for Cele server:

Cele-Server-Creature-Count.jpg

Basically, as deeded land increases, spawns decrease. As domestication counts increase, aggro spawns specifically decrease (servers have a hard limit on number of AI creatures).

It has currently normalized around the 3k to 4k mark on Cele for aggro creatures. If you figure 100 players online on Cele at any time, 30-40 aggro creatures each. This is over the entire server, including deeded land that may not have Spirit Templars on it, so possibly not hunt-able based on deed settings.

That said, get rid of trolls bashing their way ONTO my deeds, I'll get rid of my Templars.

Edited by Hussars

That said, get rid of trolls bashing their way ONTO my deeds, I'll get rid of my Templars.

Same! I had one spirit, ignoring aggroes. Until the trolls came streaming in every day - now I have two spirits on constant alert, I have to, after having fences bashed and animals escaping a number of times. Often have close to or over a dozen big green chunks to bury every single day when I log in. Has nothing to do with if I can fight trolls, I can - but not when I'm offline.

Take those non-fun pests away and my templars are back to aggro-ignoring right away...

• Like 1

We've toured more than one server before attempting to find this sacred hunting spot, but every time we find one, someone will eventually plant a huge deed on it with no buildings, some terraformed plots, and templars. The deed owner then goes proceeds to go inactive, but by then has already placed 6 months of upkeep in it, therefore completely wiping out the hunting in that region for years to come.

Also, if you settle near a massive hunting region, perhaps you should, you know, train up your Fight Skill? What logic is there behind throwing your deed on top of a Troll Cave only to complain about how annoying and overpowered trolls are after being killed by one? There is none whatsoever. Instead of ruining the hunting for others, be considerate and either sway away from known or obvious hunting grounds, or set your templars not to kill aggressives. If you can't kill the aggressives that walk onto your deed, then you shouldn't have settled there in the first place. Harsh? Maybe, but this is coming from someone who has seen multiple hunting grounds ruined on every server in this cluster simply because of some inconsiderate person who collects meat from animals randomly walking onto their deed without care for others. As you said, they can just get food from fishing, yeah?

The problem with your suggestion though is that everywhere would become a hunting ground. Where does someone settle when such is the case?

The first reply to this thread even addressed this but it appears you didn't even consider the negative effects.

I also believe you are expecting way too much while hunting given the populations of the server. There isn't going to be a troll army all in formation waiting to be massacred even if this is implemented.

Edited by Loremaster

The real problem is that every action you do, allways "ruin" the game for others, people like to place small 5x5 deeds and act as if he own the server, and wine if someone moves near, some others like to play the role of the hunter, and think they own every creature in the server, and like to think that also owns the rigth to hunt or kill anything, anywhere, others like to pen dragons and control the cool armours market, and then all the rest think that those ruined the game for the people that want a such armour, There is people that choose to become breeder, and ruin the game for the rest of non breeders, and there is other people who like to ...

You get the point.

The reallity is that most servers are empty, my own server Celebration, hardly have more than 100 online per day, and there is places overcrowded, but also there is places whre no one lives where must be some kind of hunting game, but of course, we want to live 5 minutes away of the spawn point, near or in to shore line, have huntable animals 3 tiles away of our back door, and no other person settled in a radious of 150 tiles, guess what, our logic is flawled, if you settle near spawn point, be prepared to be mass flowed with new (and not so new) people looking for settle in the same place, hunting game will be scarse, etc. etc. etc.

PD: no more than 3 minutes NE of TD the last few days we have a pest of spiders, lava spiders and some hell hounds terrorizing the newcommers, but no hunter seem to botter to kill it, so a bunch of newcommers with low skill, have no other way to aleviate the problem that put is lifes in the front line, and try to drive the unwanted visitors to the nearest templars, and we all know that some times lava spiders are a tougth figth even for 2 templars. And yet even wen most of the wandering ones get killed, there is a enclosure that rigth now its overflloded with lava spiders, even with a huge Champ one, and i know that the moment that one of that walls get breached for decay, the hell will be unleashed over us.

Salu2.

Edited by KunAlt
  • Like 1

Kiddies, I'm really not seeing a problem with things to hunt. I just went to the top of my hill and saw a hell horse, a hell hound, three spiders, a champ croc and a regular croc. Going from Jtown to that hill I saw three hell hounds. twelve spiders, two crocs and three wolves.

I would suggest you either travel and hunt or move someplace where there are fewer people. Why don't you fight other players for fight skill? Never cared about it myself but it would seem to benefit both people. But then I'm kind of ignorant about that part of WURM.

Kiddies, I'm really not seeing a problem with things to hunt. I just went to the top of my hill and saw a hell horse, a hell hound, three spiders, a champ croc and a regular croc. Going from Jtown to that hill I saw three hell hounds. twelve spiders, two crocs and three wolves.

I would suggest you either travel and hunt or move someplace where there are fewer people. Why don't you fight other players for fight skill? Never cared about it myself but it would seem to benefit both people. But then I'm kind of ignorant about that part of WURM.

Sorry to say but I disagree, I like the idea of having mobs wander onto m deed all the time. I don't have a high fight skill to I can't always go out and fight to gain my food and butchering products. It also helps to clear the area of tough mobs that would kill me if I let to many get at me as I go out looking around and repairing things off deed and such

Seems rather silly to stop mobs from walking onto deeds on their own. I mean really... this would only benefit maybe what? 5% of wurms players and hurt at least 50% of those that rely on finding a few corps to cut up when they log on.

If you want to hunt, then hunt. Try walking around a little. Theres a lot of unbuilt area's on every server. Wasnt it like 80% of every server thats untouched? Exploring is a good thing :)

Demanding changes because you dont want to go looking isnt the way to go about it

Edited by Ronnie

I don't know if it's 80% of servers but it is a lot, I walk through a lot of undeveloped forest on my travels, agreed Ronnie

Just went from TD to 'the steppe'. Not much on the way. But as soon as I cleared the marsh on the east side i found a couple crocs, ten hell horses, rats, wild cats and stuff in the distance I couldn't identify. Was this thread about not enough stuff for hunters (fs grinders) to kill on the steppe? Seems there's plenty.

Was this thread about not enough stuff for hunters (fs grinders) to kill on the steppe? Seems there's plenty.

Edited by Alyeska