Sign in to follow this  
Becket

Deed Lamp Questions For Rolf

Hi Rolf, I hope you enjoyed your vacation.

I have some questions about how lamps work on deed I hope you could answer.

Not to be rude but I am not looking for player answers but would rather get definitive answers form Rolf and or a Senior Developer.

The questions are set up so a yes or no answer would be of great help to the player base and myself.

1) Do you need a spirit guard to auto refill lamps using olive oil from oil barrel (tub) on deed ?

2) Do spirit guards auto refill mine lamps on deed?

3) Do you need a separate oil barrel (tub) for the lamps on the deeded part of a mine?

4) My mine lamps have been filled with olive oil and replanted they still do not auto go on and off even though I have a spirit guard. Is this a bug?

5) Will a spirit guard access an oil barrel (tub) in a locked building on deed ?

Uhhh, dont see why you need Rolf to answer these when players have actually experimentally proven all of these.

Yes

Yes

No

No, they can just be a little finicky and require a relight from time to time

Yes

I don't understand how you can say that it has been proven that we need spirit templars to auto refill lamps when several had had it happen that the lamps were refilled from the oil tub without them having any spirit templar....

Honestly I doubt if Rolf knows it.

I don't understand how some can have their lamps refilled with guards and some without. Someone is clearly confused. :P I would imagine you need a spirit guard to fill your on-deed lamps as per the update and posts from players who have tested it.

I don't understand how some can have their lamps refilled with guards and some without. Someone is clearly confused. :P I would imagine you need a spirit guard to fill your on-deed lamps as per the update and posts from players who have tested it.

Then again, it was always "the guards" who repaired fences and walls, yet that works fine with no templar.

Then again, it was always "the guards" who repaired fences and walls, yet that works fine with no templar.

That's also true, but as I said numerous people have claimed that you need a guard to use the oil bin. I haven't had the time to test this myself yet but I don't think anyone would lie about something like that.

Yetian has verified none of his lamps were being refilled before he got a templar, and they were being refilled after.

What about tower guards from a tower on deed? Do they in anyway factor into this megalalamp mystery in anyway? Does having the oil tub indoors Vs. Outside matter? Are the rumors of an underground templar oil wrestling league true?

Answer is simple. Because with lamp nerf ... ehm correction of old lamp bug ... were implemented whole array of new bugs. This is nothing rare, conversely it is absolutelly common. With every change in program, there is huge risk of adding new bugs and untreated situations. And it is endless process, correction of bugs leads to new bugs and their correction to another new ones. I know what I'm talking about, I'm software developer, programmer/analyst. Who claims his program code has none bugs is liar.

That is why some deeds fill lamps without templars, some deeds needs templars to fill lamps while some lamps going to dark even with templars around and oil in tube.

I've had a templar and an oil tub with olive oil for several weeks now, lamps have been working but not a single drop of oil has been used from the barrel yet. I guess this one is pretty hard to test considering how long it takes for the lamps to burn out... Hopefully the oil doesn't decay before it is used for the first time :P

I think Rolf should add some bonus to decay protection when using an oil barrel to make sure that oil lasts for a long time in them (if he hasn't already).

Some players have inferred that Rolfs reference to Spirit Templars filling lamps on deed through the use of oil barrels is a literal one but in spite of all the confusion and conjectures he has never chosen to clairfy the situation by making a specific post about this aspect of the change that he thought to be a benificial one to the playerbase. I will leave it up to all to further speculate upon his lack of concern for the resullting confusion he has allowed to continue by leaving players in the dark as to his reference of "guards" in this situation.

As for me, I have long since had any concern for this oilve oil lamp fueling method as I have no intent upon spending any of my time participating in its mysterious meanderings. If I should sometimes find myself in the mood to refill on or off deed street lamps, I will just use the lump of tar that I carry around in my backpack to do so. When some new player starts talking to me about wanting some oilve oil, I will just hand them a lump of tar to fuel their carry lantern and perhaps the one or two lamps they will plant around their small homestead, advise them to not waste any time messing about with oilves but rather pursue things more enjoyable and benificial to them within the Wurm environs.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Granted, the lack of response might be due to the fact that he's been on vacation. I would like a response after he gets back though.

Granted, the lack of response might be due to the fact that he's been on vacation. I would like a response after he gets back though.

Or it could be he likes players to figure things out for themselves??

Or figure it out for him.

• Like 1

But when we have it figured out and he changes it up, we deserve an explanation of what he has done, especially with old features of the game. I've had it with guessing every time he does this.

• Like 1

I think it is clear, why Rolf do not want to tell us truth about lamps refilling and templars.

If he will claim, templars are necessary to refill, he will upset a lot of players, which still not sure it they are annoyed or just anxious.

If he will claim, templars plays none role in refilling, he will loose potential profit. A lot of people hiring templars for refilling purpose and only few fired them, because they are upset.

So keeping us in fog and uncertainty plays in his cards.

I think if he cared about upsetting players, a lot of updates wouldn't have happened. Not to say that's a completely bad thing, devs need to have a thick skin sometimes, but it is what happens.

I do disagree about the policy being that we are kept in the dark. If that's truly the case, don't post updates at all. If not, clear up confusions that result from update posts. Or at least reply so we hear you and know you saw our concerns, even to say "you'll have to figure that out on your own"

Edited by meiyeeer

Got directed to this thread. Interesting read of course.

Here are the formal answers (not considering any of the bugs you mention):

1) Do you need a spirit guard to auto refill lamps using olive oil from oil barrel (tub) on deed ?

Yes

2) Do spirit guards auto refill mine lamps on deed?

Yes

3) Do you need a separate oil barrel (tub) for the lamps on the deeded part of a mine?

No

4) My mine lamps have been filled with olive oil and replanted they still do not auto go on and off even though I have a spirit guard. Is this a bug?

Yes

5) Will a spirit guard access an oil barrel (tub) in a locked building on deed ?

Yes

I plan on going into bug fixing mode for a week or so and this will hopefully be addressed then.

• Like 7

Thanks Rolf for clear and loud answer. I think all fog around deed lamps are now cleared.

Share with us more information in future and all Wurmians will be more happy.

Bad part is I lost my hope for my lamps. I have to rethink their placement, reduce amount and perhaps place some alternative light sources on my deeds. I can build oil tubes, but I will not hire templars, they are least realistic part of wurm and in true, I hate them.

And even losing one from three main features of deeds, thanks for your clear answer. Again we have solid rules to build on and continue.

I just hope, lowered decay and security from griefing on deed will stay as deed features and will not turn into bug in future.

Edited by Zakerak

Can we get lowered priced light guards again to fill these lamps?

It doesnt really matter to me either way I just figured maybe it might help some people who cant afford the 1s heavy types...maybe a new type of service NPC for less who doesn't even attack ;)

Edited by Protunia

Can we get lowered priced light guards again to fill these lamps?

It doesnt really matter to me either way I just figured maybe it might help some people who cant afford the 1s heavy types...maybe a new type of service NPC for less who doesn't even attack ;)

thats a nice idea I think ;) like a personal deed "butler" ;)

I plan on going into bug fixing mode for a week or so and this will hopefully be addressed then.

Is ST required to autofill lamps considered a bug or intended feature?