Sign in to follow this  
sfaleron

Finishing Dependency Cycle

I have two items that are impossible to finish. One is a chisel, which requires a hammer. The hammer requires a whetstone (sharpening a hammer?), but creating the whetstone requires the use of a chisel. I've been told online to just make another hammer, but this is obviously unsatisfactory.

Thank you for your attention to this!

Dependencies are generated randomly, making another hammer will most likely let you have a finished one, without requiring a chisel.

That's silly. There's got to be some parameters on it, even if it is random. You wouldn't expect to see a chisel depending on a belaying pin or something "random" like that. Anyway, dependency cycles are easy enough to detect and avoid.

well somewhere along the line you are going to need to imp that hammer and it takes a hammer to imp it eventually, so make the extra.

A real life blacksmith also need a hammer to make a new hammer.

It is not random, there are 4 tools needed for each craft, for smithing its hammer, whetstone, pelt and water.

I can understand if you tried to make 10 hammers and all needed a whetstone to finish, but thats highly unlikely.

Not sure how you expect the game to know if you have 1 of each tool in a coffin next to the forge or not when you are crafting.

Since the beginning of Wurm it has worked like this. They are not random dependencies, they are specific dependencies and tools you need to complete the job. Every player that starts hits this same point and questions it at first, but it really is normal to need a hammer to make a hammer (or a better hammer), or a whetstone to make a chisel, when you also need a chisel to make a whetstone. Better get ready to make 2 mallets too, as you will need a mallet to improve or finish a mallet. Nothing odd about any of it, you need tools to make tools, and when you start it is very hard to make those first tools.

Like others have said, just keep making a few more, some will come out low ql, but finished tools. Take those to finish and imp the unfinished ones you already created. Next thing you know you are hooked on crafting tools just like the rest of us.

That works if you can make a stone hammer to make an iron hammer. This is just confusing and ambiguous.

That works if you can make a stone hammer to make an iron hammer. This is just confusing and ambiguous.

Actually, if you lose your basic tools you can start over by scounging up scrap materials to make stone tools. It is literally possible to start with nothing and get up to having everything, if you want to try the extreme hard way. Nothing ambiguous about it, but I do recommend you spend some time reading the wiki right now. This is not an easy game to start in if you don't understand how it works.

This is not to say we don't have sympathy with you, since almost all of us have encountered it in some form or another. It's frustrating, but unlikely to change, and the game is worth it once you get past it.

There's ways to justify this but by no means does it actually make sense. Things like this are really going to have to be ironed out if Rolf is really to "release" Wurm.

I thought I heard somewhere that you cannot make unfinished items until 24 hours game time or something along those lines. That's sort of a preventative measure towards getting the ball rolling.

I thought I heard somewhere that you cannot make unfinished items until 24 hours game time or something along those lines. That's sort of a preventative measure towards getting the ball rolling.

correct, you cannot create an unfinished item (that requires to be improved before finishing) in your first 24 hours of ingame time.

correct, you cannot create an unfinished item (that requires to be improved before finishing) in your first 24 hours of ingame time.

Then maybe it could use an adjustment to the first X number of creation actions, as a lot of new players explore to find a spot , get lost, etc. at first and may be over 24 hours before they actually start crafting. I know when I started I fell into a deep valley and spent over 6 hours time finding my way out, and was 12 hours or more before I finally got around to trying to do anything with the guide to earn my tools (I was on old JKH/Newtown back then).

Edited by Vroomfondel

This is still the 'Server bugs' board. please post suggestions on the 'Suggestions' board.