Sign in to follow this  
Hussars

What Would You Change To Make Wurm More Attractive To Players?

I am representative of nearly all American Gamers. Im casual, dont want things to be hard for no reason but i also want a sense of achievement. Wurm offers this. The foundation for the game is strong, HOWEVER:

Like Eve Online's early days, you have to get your tech upgraded. HIGHER FRAME RATES SHOULD BE A #1 PRIORITY.

If you look at the subscription graph for EVE, it spiked when CCP upgraded its hardware. Atm, i cannot go into Strongbox without wanting to kill myself. Jita (Eve's capital) was the same way before CCP put that system on its very own server.

Optimize the game, and watch the ppl flood in. 

E: one more thing, this game is a sandbox. Wasting development time on events (there isnt many of you) should be waaay down the list. And im sure it is. Focus on optimization and smoother gameplay. You guys are doing great, and the only reason im still playing is the hope that one day the tech will catch up. If there is no light at the end of the tunnel, im apt (not saying i will) move on to a different game.

For 1 you don't represent me! I've never had lower than 38fps. I'm sick and tired of people always saying there sysem is broke when people don't know jack about computers and the hardware inside them.

When I first started at the age of 21 when the first pc's in my area where able to be affordable by the average joe.. like me I started messing and learning. Yes I had to do a lot of system restoring cause I didn't know squat. But over the years I learned more about my pc and got into building custom rigs cause I found out the pc's sold in the stores where like 5 years old or older already. And if I wanted to have the newest computer that was simi up to date I had to build custom rigs. Not to mention they are cheaper and you can always build a bigger rig for the same price you buy them out of date models in the store for.

Over this course of time I learned more about the graphics co. and more about cache and how important this was also learned about the workings inside the OP system. All the way down to power supplies and the power requirments for graphic cards cpu etc...

What I'm trying to say is you can't take a pinto to a car show and expect to not get laughed out of the parking lot. Out of all my exp I was once like you guys always complaining telling the gaming companies they need to fix there game it wasn't on my end. After years of research and learn I've come to one answer. It was 9 out of 10 times on my end. Now they have took the blame when it was on there end they have did optimizing as well to help. But they can't optimize a game to run on the crapiest computer that is out of date some where inside. It could be you are running a graphics card that don't handle the DX version they are using all the way to the shader models they use or the card could not be able to handle the number of polygons that are being processed. Every video card has a limit. the more load you drop on them the less fps you will get. You can even see lag spikes from this. But many think it's a server issue to a net problem. All this could even be to the point of a power supply. Now you might ask how can a power supply cause this?

Well when the amount of information coming in builds up the processor will call for more power and the ram will call for more power also and specially the video card will call for more power. Now if you are asking for more power than the power supply you have in your system has it wont shut down but instead there made to pause and send them in lets say packets of power on a need base. this will cause lag low frame rates and other problems all the way to finally blowing the power supply cause it is always at max power surge.

Most computers sold in a store regardless they are marked gaming rig's this is false information if you as a consumer think that is what it is. When they say gaming rig it actually means you can game to a point what games you can game on it where not mentioned for a reason. If you had known what you couldn't game on them when you bought it you might have not bought it.

now if your are the custom rig builder complaining I will ask you do you understand cache and how important it is? cache is not just on the hard drive. Cache is also on the cpu as well as the cd drive.

Example would be and is a question for you at the same time.

cpu 1. is 8 core 4ghz with 8mb l3 and 2mb l2 cache.

cpu 2, is 4 core 3,5ghz with 14mb l3 and 14mb l2.

Which cpu will run faster and better? the 8core 4ghz or the 4 core 3.5?

If you answered the 4 core you would be right if you answered the 8 core you would be so wrong.

Some people think it's not enough ram and tell people they need more ram. Not true. The most I've ever seen on a game load at maxed graphics has been less than 4g of ram. I've yet to see 3dsmax run more than 8g of ram on a huge screen load of polygons even at the point I have the fps bogging. 8gigs is max you will ever use in this day and time and that's even with the new titan's that have been launched.

Now codeclubAB has done a real good job after the 1.0 and 1.1 optimizing the game. When they first launched the 1.0 most people had issues cause there and for a example I will use my system.

after the launch of 1.0 my cpu was clocking at 75 to 90% cpu on 1 client of wurm at maxed settings including shadows. They have optimized to where wurm is now down to 50 to 55% at the same settings and this is me being in a high poly count area. It's about the same as I get from running the same load from other big game titles out there.

The max your eye can see is 30 fps any thing more your eye will not notice. If you get less than 30fps your rig might not have enough power to run the game at full so you would need to turn some stuff down. Maybe your graphics card is lacking a shader model. or a dx file.

Another example people run into and I will use EverQuest as this example. they buy a new system and install the latest graphics driver. and Dirext X 10 or 11 version. the problem with this is soe uses those but they still have a portion of the game running under the old DirectX 9.oc version. If you don't manually install this EverQuest will not run and have issues lag spikes you name it.

For older games every time I have to Bring down my system and redo the OP I make sure to go to Microsoft and download the 9.oc DirectX. I'm no programmer but I do know this has it's use even tho the new versions 10 and 11 are out. I know you going to say the new version has what the old version has. Wrong the newer versions will not have every thing the old 9.0c had and installing it will not change any files for the newer versions it will add what it's missing.

I can almost guarantee you that codeclubAB is using the directx 9.0c. Example A my friends laptop has the power to push Wurm with a good amount of graphics but he had issues. only after installing the directx 9.0c did it clear up.

• Like 1

For 1 you don't represent me! I've never had lower than 38fps. I'm sick and tired of people always saying there sysem is broke when people don't know jack about computers and the hardware inside them.

When I first started at the age of 21 when the first pc's in my area where able to be affordable by the average joe.. like me I started messing and learning. Yes I had to do a lot of system restoring cause I didn't know squat. But over the years I learned more about my pc and got into building custom rigs cause I found out the pc's sold in the stores where like 5 years old or older already. And if I wanted to have the newest computer that was simi up to date I had to build custom rigs. Not to mention they are cheaper and you can always build a bigger rig for the same price you buy them out of date models in the store for.

Over this course of time I learned more about the graphics co. and more about cache and how important this was also learned about the workings inside the OP system. All the way down to power supplies and the power requirments for graphic cards cpu etc...

What I'm trying to say is you can't take a pinto to a car show and expect to not get laughed out of the parking lot. Out of all my exp I was once like you guys always complaining telling the gaming companies they need to fix there game it wasn't on my end. After years of research and learn I've come to one answer. It was 9 out of 10 times on my end. Now they have took the blame when it was on there end they have did optimizing as well to help. But they can't optimize a game to run on the crapiest computer that is out of date some where inside. It could be you are running a graphics card that don't handle the DX version they are using all the way to the shader models they use or the card could not be able to handle the number of polygons that are being processed. Every video card has a limit. the more load you drop on them the less fps you will get. You can even see lag spikes from this. But many think it's a server issue to a net problem. All this could even be to the point of a power supply. Now you might ask how can a power supply cause this?

Well when the amount of information coming in builds up the processor will call for more power and the ram will call for more power also and specially the video card will call for more power. Now if you are asking for more power than the power supply you have in your system has it wont shut down but instead there made to pause and send them in lets say packets of power on a need base. this will cause lag low frame rates and other problems all the way to finally blowing the power supply cause it is always at max power surge.

Most computers sold in a store regardless they are marked gaming rig's this is false information if you as a consumer think that is what it is. When they say gaming rig it actually means you can game to a point what games you can game on it where not mentioned for a reason. If you had known what you couldn't game on them when you bought it you might have not bought it.

now if your are the custom rig builder complaining I will ask you do you understand cache and how important it is? cache is not just on the hard drive. Cache is also on the cpu as well as the cd drive.

Example would be and is a question for you at the same time.

cpu 1. is 8 core 4ghz with 8mb l3 and 2mb l2 cache.

cpu 2, is 4 core 3,5ghz with 14mb l3 and 14mb l2.

Which cpu will run faster and better? the 8core 4ghz or the 4 core 3.5?

If you answered the 4 core you would be right if you answered the 8 core you would be so wrong.

Some people think it's not enough ram and tell people they need more ram. Not true. The most I've ever seen on a game load at maxed graphics has been less than 4g of ram. I've yet to see 3dsmax run more than 8g of ram on a huge screen load of polygons even at the point I have the fps bogging. 8gigs is max you will ever use in this day and time and that's even with the new titan's that have been launched.

Now codeclubAB has done a real good job after the 1.0 and 1.1 optimizing the game. When they first launched the 1.0 most people had issues cause there and for a example I will use my system.

after the launch of 1.0 my cpu was clocking at 75 to 90% cpu on 1 client of wurm at maxed settings including shadows. They have optimized to where wurm is now down to 50 to 55% at the same settings and this is me being in a high poly count area. It's about the same as I get from running the same load from other big game titles out there.

The max your eye can see is 30 fps any thing more your eye will not notice. If you get less than 30fps your rig might not have enough power to run the game at full so you would need to turn some stuff down. Maybe your graphics card is lacking a shader model. or a dx file.

Another example people run into and I will use EverQuest as this example. they buy a new system and install the latest graphics driver. and Dirext X 10 or 11 version. the problem with this is soe uses those but they still have a portion of the game running under the old DirectX 9.oc version. If you don't manually install this EverQuest will not run and have issues lag spikes you name it.

For older games every time I have to Bring down my system and redo the OP I make sure to go to Microsoft and download the 9.oc DirectX. I'm no programmer but I do know this has it's use even tho the new versions 10 and 11 are out. I know you going to say the new version has what the old version has. Wrong the newer versions will not have every thing the old 9.0c had and installing it will not change any files for the newer versions it will add what it's missing.

I can almost guarantee you that codeclubAB is using the directx 9.0c. Example A my friends laptop has the power to push Wurm with a good amount of graphics but he had issues. only after installing the directx 9.0c did it clear up.

Lots of text. Basically you are telling me my comp is ######. My comp is VERY beastly. Outside Strongbox, im fine. Inside Strongbox- nope. And are you going to try to feed us that when a massive pvp battle happens, not everyone lags hard?

E: mine is custom made.

Edited by anterion

Lots of text. Basically you are telling me my comp is ######. My comp is VERY beastly. Outside Strongbox, im fine. Inside Strongbox- nope. And are you going to try to feed us that when a massive pvp battle happens, not everyone lags hard?

Again communication break down. I'm taking it you didn't understand what I wrote so go research it. Your video card is limited by it's polygon count each has a limit of what it can process. So when you add a massive battle of ever changing polygons with sene polygons going on if your video card can't handle the limit you will lag and fps will slow down while it strains to process it. the only thing codeclubab could do to fix this is kill all textures and uses plain rgb solid textures block the character models and stuff up like minecraft to lower the polycount so your card can keep up. I myself don't have a top in video card to handle 100 of thousands of polygons. If I start to get the issue I have a choice turn down my graphics till it's comfortable in battle or go buy a better video card. No company out there can make a game to run on every video card unless it is very low polygon such as the blocky minecraft.

Ok EVE online don't have this problem why? I will explain. Is EVE online not a space game? And the only polygons you are seeing is ships and gun fire? cause the empty space is a background texture a 1 solid texture at that. In WURM you have trees, grass, water, flowers, individual walls, character models, tiles, and a sky backdrop. You have a massive amount more than a game like eve online to process.

I didn't just say you only would lag. Lot's of players would lag depending on there video card. Now I would lag before others would cause my video card isn't high end like some others might have, but you will not see me come in here and tell a company it's there system that sucks cause I've done this before and was proven wrong time and time again until I did my own research and learned how stupid I sounded doing what you now are doing.

Edited by Arkonick

Again communication break down. I'm taking it you didn't understand what I wrote so go research it. Your video card is limited by it's polygon count each has a limit of what it can process. So when you add a massive battle of ever changing polygons with sene polygons going on if your video card can't handle the limit you will lag and fps will slow down while it strains to process it. the only thing codeclubab could do to fix this is kill all textures and uses plain rgb solid textures block the character models and stuff up like minecraft to lower the polycount so your card can keep up. I myself don't have a top in video card to handle 100 of thousands of polygons. If I start to get the issue I have a choice turn down my graphics till it's comfortable in battle or go buy a better video card. No company out there can make a game to run on every video card unless it is very low polygon such as the blocky minecraft.

Ok EVE online don't have this problem why? I will explain. Is EVE online not a space game? And the only polygons you are seeing is ships and gun fire? cause the empty space is a background texture a 1 solid texture at that. In WURM you have trees, grass, water, flowers, individual walls, character models, tiles, and a sky backdrop. You have a massive amount more than a game like eve online to process.

I didn't just say you only would lag. Lot's of players would lag depending on there video card. Now I would lag before others would cause my video card isn't high end like some others might have, but you will not see me come in here and tell a company it's there system that sucks cause I've done this before and was proven wrong time and time again until I did my own research and learned how stupid I sounded doing what you now are doing.

The casual gamer doesnt know all this jazz. The title says "what makes wurm attractive to more players".

If my comp can play AAA games with no problems, then in my mind it should easily be able to run a game like wurm. A game like Mortal Online is very similar to wurm with the trees, player made stuff, ect. The problem is java. This game needs an actual engine.

Edited by anterion

Just start selling the game on steam or something like it cos its hard to find to new players i think it wuld make 10x more new players, profit to developers, game updates, ect. B)

Edited by wojteksx1

Hi all,

Please take the hardware/system...discussion... off this thread please, this thread is more for previously discussed topics that have community support/active discussion going on elsewhere and/or ideas to start new threads to discuss for possible changes.  A roll-up just makes it easier to find them for new players and the dev team (if they chose to stop in) once they fall off the front page.

There are a couple of posts in the Support Section that might help if it is a local system configuration issue (you might be surprised at how often your OS or other applications change something that "breaks" other applications)

The targeted conversations/on-going discussions as seen here is best served in either private messages once it starts to get personal (no need for laundry to be aired), or a thread dedicated to your topic to refine the idea/details.

Also, please refrain from statements claiming you speak for any portion of a community in this thread.  If your idea has been discussed in other threads, provide link(s) back to those threads, the majority support should be self-evident and not need to be highlighted.

Just start selling the game on steam or something like it cos its hard to find to new players i think it wuld make 10x more new players, profit to developers, game updates, ect. B)

While I cannot speak for the dev team, Rolf has said a few times, new forms of distribution are being/will be looked into, but currently Steam does not fit into his vision for Wurm.  I'll see if I can find a link for you as well, but the newest forum search functions hate me >.<

• Like 1

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned but I didn't see it on the catch up post at the start of the thread so here goes...

I know a lot of players are into animal husbandry and when I was looking into Wurm the first time, it was what I got excited about the must, but when presented with it in the game was a bit disappointed. 

First, the animal auto name system is kind of a turn off for me as far as the animal husbandry skill goes. It makes it pretty hard to keep track of which is which and who is who. So, we can name our boats and homes, why not our livestock too?  

Second, I think players would enjoy more methods of actually caring for livestock instead of just grooming with a brush..like if an animal became sick (not due to injury) from being contained in a pasture with too many other animals, that we'd be able to nurse it back to functionality.. or maybe instead of have ALL traits be inherited, implement a way of training animals with various training equipment or something. 

Third, I think there should be more of a variety of animal coats/coloring. I know it sounds petty but a pretty big part of breeding horses and cattle in real life comes down to color genetics and I think by having a wider range of coats/skins for animals, players will feel that by breeding their animals that they are unique and different instead of just another grey, black, bay, palomino or white horse. 

I love the idea of animal husbandry, I just wish there was more to it. Most other skills have multitudes of options when leveling it up whereas animal husbandry has breeding as it's only main staple option to choose. So, basically I'm saying that it needs a little re-vamp. I think players might enjoy a little challenge as opposed to *drag cow over to bull and click breed* xD

<3 Wurm

Let me say, great first post and welcome to Wurm :)

The animal handling skills have some of the mechanics you're wanting, like disease/recovery, already in-play, and there have been recent changes to the system which increases the impact of space vs. animal head count.  The naming thing is a long term complaint from the player-base, as there is only one animal I'm aware of that you can actually name.  Chickens.. before the egg hatches, you rename it, when the egg hatches, the chicken will have your selected name.

You might also want to repost your idea as a new suggestion (if nothing shows up in the damnable search, that is), as I think you might find a few folks who could give you better feedback on it :)

Edited by Hussars

If there would be one suggestion I'd make that would be to upgrade the graphics engine to allow for displacement mapping so we can fake high resolution models via texture maps while using low poly models. If possible, more advanced reflections & shadows.

I have a few things I would like, being able to see my avatar would be the first and most important.

Second would be, to be able to make water spaces on your deed, perhaps small ponds.

Third , horses can walk in the water, which is great, but why can't we ride the horse into water?

I posted this in another thread, but it belongs here:

One way in which the game can be made more player-friendly is the reduction of very repetitive/click-intensive jobs. Nobody likes digging 10k dirt when all they want to do is move it around. So intelligent use of the Flatten and Level commands can make terraforming significantly faster, while dramatically reducing the number of clicks necessary to do the task.

Similar commands for, say, Mining, Brick-Making, and Plank-Making could go a long way to making the game a lot more friendly, without really affecting the challenge of the game. Plus, it would hugely help people suffering from RSI issues.

• Like 1

The fur is not have so much use just to make beds.
What about to make fur covered wood shield.
Maybe an easy made "noob" shield.

Someting like these:

1000.jpeg

I posted this in another thread, but it belongs here:

One way in which the game can be made more player-friendly is the reduction of very repetitive/click-intensive jobs. Nobody likes digging 10k dirt when all they want to do is move it around. So intelligent use of the Flatten and Level commands can make terraforming significantly faster, while dramatically reducing the number of clicks necessary to do the task.

Similar commands for, say, Mining, Brick-Making, and Plank-Making could go a long way to making the game a lot more friendly, without really affecting the challenge of the game. Plus, it would hugely help people suffering from RSI issues.

One of best suggestions made itt.

Don't know if there is a post of it already but what about shipbuilding.

If you are building you see little progress that you are building.

When your digging you see the ground go down, When you chop up trees you see the logs.

Maby they can make it more visible that you are working on that ship.

And its an skil thats hard to get maby make it less fails or so.

What Wurm really needs is a true wilderness server; there's too much architecture, both inhabited and uninhabited, all over the landscapes.

The way I'd do it (Implement these on a new map, so as to let the current settlers be happy):

-Every twelve hours, the server does a check. If the owner of a deed hasn't logged on for more than a week, the deed is destroyed.

-The damage resistance of stone architecture is heavily reduced, so there won't be any stone enclosures that occupies vast swathes of land with no way to get in/out/around. FAR too many of those on the current crop of servers.

-To encourage the use of wooden architecture (fast decay), make it so that the creation of walls takes twenty seconds instead of thirty. Removes the absolute tedium without being too fast.

-Frequent animal spawns. There are hardly any wild animals to be found on ze current servers; practically every damn horse is kept in a farm, you'll be the luckiest guy around if you find wild cattle...Even the forests are empty. Sure, there is the odd Huge Spider every hundred tiles or so, but that's just pathetic.

-Allow for animals to escape their enclosures. Let the horses jump over the walls, the cattle bash through the wooden fences. Let's get some actual fun goin', eh?

-When it's raining, everything should decay 1.5-2x faster. Faster decay will cause people to build smaller enclosures. Enough with the closed off hundreds upon hundres of acres for just two or three fellows.

-Allow monsters/animals to damage architecture. Wear 'n' tear, baby!

-If the constructor of a stone wall has not logged on for a week, people (regardless of level or freemium/premium) will be able to destroy the stone wall (Of course, premiums will be able to do it better/faster than freemiums).

That's what I'd do, anyway.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, August 24, 2013 - OT
Hidden by KaiH, August 24, 2013 - OT

there's too much architecture, both inhabited and uninhabited

I'm guessing you live in an area more populated than you like. Try celebration, it's lovely.

View hidden Post

-When it's raining, everything should decay 1.5-2x faster. Faster decay will cause people to build smaller enclosures. Enough with the closed off hundreds upon hundres of acres for just two or three fellows.

Whats the use of an roof then ?

What Wurm really needs is a true wilderness server; there's too much architecture, both inhabited and uninhabited, all over the landscapes.

The way I'd do it (Implement these on a new map, so as to let the current settlers be happy):

-Every twelve hours, the server does a check. If the owner of a deed hasn't logged on for more than a week, the deed is destroyed.

What about those people who, for legit reasons, have more than 1 deed and have another less used account as the deed holder? There are many reasons one might have a near unused toon hold a deed.

-The damage resistance of stone architecture is heavily reduced, so there won't be any stone enclosures that occupies vast swathes of land with no way to get in/out/around. FAR too many of those on the current crop of servers.

Again, there are often times people fence off an area for legit reasons. i.e. Didn't have enough coin at the time they placed their deed, but had future plans to expand until someone came along and placed a deed right next to them.

-To encourage the use of wooden architecture (fast decay), make it so that the creation of walls takes twenty seconds instead of thirty. Removes the absolute tedium without being too fast.

-Frequent animal spawns. There are hardly any wild animals to be found on ze current servers; practically every damn horse is kept in a farm, you'll be the luckiest guy around if you find wild cattle...Even the forests are empty. Sure, there is the odd Huge Spider every hundred tiles or so, but that's just pathetic.

Not sure what server you are on or where you are located on said server, but I often see wild bison, horses, pigs, cows, bulls, etc. roaming around my server. (Deli)

-Allow for animals to escape their enclosures. Let the horses jump over the walls, the cattle bash through the wooden fences. Let's get some actual fun goin', eh?

Adding even more possible tedium? Think of the poor newbie who found a random horse or animal, pens it in. Logs off for the night only to come back and his nice animal he found is gone due to this.

Would this effect deeds? If so, that would negate one of the very main reasons to even deed a spot, build a house, etc.. This would also add even more tedium as one would have to spend hours repairing everything every day instead of doing something they actually WANT to do such as grind mining, or pretty much every other possible skill.

-Allow monsters/animals to damage architecture. Wear 'n' tear, baby!

Ever have a troll lair spawn next to your deed and drop troll upon troll inside your nicely fenced deed? If not, try it.. It's loads of fun.

-If the constructor of a stone wall has not logged on for a week, people (regardless of level or freemium/premium) will be able to destroy the stone wall (Of course, premiums will be able to do it better/faster than freemiums).

So you go on a week long vacation or for whatever reason can't log on and when you do, you come back to find someone bashed all our fences, houses, etc. and took all your stuff. Also what if you have a village of more than a few people and ALL of them helped build the fences and walls, then one or more quit playing for a while or all together. Since that never happens right?

That's what I'd do, anyway.

On top of all of the responses in red, in my humble opinion, one of the last things Wurm currently needs is yet another server.

• Like 3

I'd allow players to pay to start the game differently if they wish.

This could help bring in money plus give another use for carpenters. (bare with me and give and take on this suggestion, what ever would work.)
A serious of rules to create a writ that a carpenter can sell for a silver (what ever) to Wurm. This would be called a "starter writ"
Wurm could sell these buildings to new players from their website for like 10s or something and allow them to spawn their on the first time, to stop mass building of "starter writs" you could limit them and when you have enough in stock no one can make more and sell to server..
Yep it would take a bit of coding but I think it would benefit carpenters, new players and wurm development funds.
Take it or leave it though, I've started now so dont need it lolol.

Another idea is enhanced guide system where someone can employ a guide to help them get started for what ever amount of money. I worked hard to get setup alone and I didnt wish to go to a settlement so went it alone. I would of paid money to someone to help me start "going it alone". This idea could add to roleplaying and create anoter job for experienced players (You would need x levels to be a guide) but it would enahce the economy of wurm as a whole, give something else to role play plus generate income for wurm development. I think my ideas here are centered around ways to pay to make wurm easier to start playing as a total newbie. But benefit everyone al around without totally destroying the game :) (basically)
Mainly because as a newbie, I found it really confusing and almost gave up. But the idea of the game was so interesting I kept going. I think many good people that would love this game just find it to complex and quit.

Edited by AlexLong

Figure out a way to let it be played from the chromebook :( 

View hidden Post

I know there is a Wurmpedia page that talks about the animal traits and what they mean, but it seems still, to open to discussion, and that there is some question to whether the answers are right or wrong.  What I would like is some sort of official, clear description of what each trait means, what it does.

Would be a real help. Thanks

View hidden Post

new server? Really? Again? Do you think you can really spark interest with another server? The answer is no. Price hikes. Do you really think people are going to flood into a new server with higher prices and deeds behind to up keep? Its already obvious u know nothing about economics Rolf. Its only a matter of time before u are willingly or unwillingly forced from ur own creation.  The fact is... you will get very little compensation for ur small world and some larger company will make it much larger without ur help.

Where did you get this idea of a new server being released in the immediate future?

View hidden Post

Rolf banning all the griefers on the epic cluster, or enforcing rules about no kingdom-vrs-kingdom griefing near server spawns.

Would stop our decline of new players :)

Increased fightskill and weapon/shield subskill gain up to 50 would be beneficial, I think, and could be achieved as follows:

FS training with a doll should give quicker gains. I know its a completely risk free task as it is, but it takes so long. And really, getting to 20 FS fast isn't that unbalanced, it just helps newer players out.

After 20 (well, from 0-50) Sparring gives fight skill gain. For optimal gain, both players must be within 5 skill levels of each other. Would also give good subskill gains.

Add ways for all weapon skills to be trained to 20: bashing walls, etc. for all mauls, and allow short swords to cut down bushes. I think you can gain up to 20 with a short sword by butchering at the moment, but I'm not sure.

Failing all that, let all new plays start with at least 10 Fight skill, so they can hunt a little bit better from the get-go.

To make Wurm in general more attractive to new players? Graphics overhaul. I know it's coming in dribs and drabs, but once multi story houses are done, this should be a priority. And make sure it plays on the stable client relatively soon after it is complete - not everyone knows or trusts the unstable client, and new players certainly wouldn't use it the first time they play, and we need to make a good impression.

Also, +1 to repeat last action keybind, to make the grind less harsh, and +1 to being able to drag things between different containers without putting it into our own first. To stop it being ridiculously fast, it could be limited to the amount you can carry, or amount you can carry x2, but anything that reduces these pointless grinds gets my vote.

You start at FS 1 for a reason, if it were to be bumped up to 10, people would ###### for it to be raised to 20, then 30, then 40, etc. everything should start at 1 except characteristics, you have to WORK for your FS.