Sign in to follow this  
Suntzu

Easy Guide To Pvp Grinding On Epic- "get In The Game"

Getting yourself in position to have some success in PvP on epic is easy and does not take long.

Success in melee pvp is based on several skills: the basic of these being

shield subskill

fighting subskill

fight skill

weapon skill

Ideally you want to be in a village or provide yourself with plenty of cotton and a bed to sleep in to gain sleep bonus.

Now before you run off into the woods to go get your 70fs lets prepare a bit to make your work easier.

Getting your shield skill and fighting subskill up will give you a sharp edge when you go hunting, so first lets give ourselves a headstart.

What you will need is set of armor and a shield. Don't worry about different shields and which one to use, lets go with Large metal because it has the best blocking range and is best to defend archery attacks which are rampant on epic.

What you will do is arm just your shield and armor with no weapon and attack a horse, cow, bull, pig or some other easy animal. Ideally you want to use a pen or have a house nearby that you can jum in to heal and back out of combat.

This is pretty boring but continue on until you have 30 normal fight skill. This will help you in combat when you decide to hunt. Shield skill goes up quickly and 30 is also a good target to shoot for before your hunting grind. You are looking at a few hours to get this done.

Using sleep bonus will make this even easier, however I would save it until you hit 30 skill in shield and normal skill. It is easy to get to 30 and the sleep bonus will help you get to 50 in each in a day or two.

In doing your shield/normal grind you will gain some BC. Hopefully you now have enough to ride a horse, if not spend some SB on archery practise until you get enough body control to do so, it will only take a couple hours tops.

Now that you have some shield skill and normal fighting subskill you are ready to begin hunting with some success.

Get yourself a horse ( you didn't skip the BC leveling did you?) When you are grinding fight skill I suggest all new players use a 2 handed weapon of your choice. You will do tons of damage and can kill things outside your skill range handily. This will make skilling a breeze and it will go quickly, with most players taking several days to a week or two to hit 70 fs depending on your play time.

50 shield. 50 normal, and 70 fs takes several days to a week or two if you are serious about getting it done and will leave you in position to do some damage in pvp and defend yourself in an able fashion.

Weaponskill goes up so fast don't warry about the weapon you will pvp with, the 2 hander will help you level FS very quickly, after you have your 70 fs you can spend a week on your preffered weapon if you wish. The 2 hander will let oyu kill high value targets like greenish, raging, etc. that give you alot of fs and are otherwise hard to kill with a normal weapon and low skill.

This is your basic start to becoming a fighter quickly with no b.s. I have seen this done in as little as 3 days.

• Like 3

I usualy tell people to get the first 10 or 15 base fight skill on a practice doll. Especialy if they plan to hunt solo.

I usualy tell people to get the first 10 or 15 base fight skill on a practice doll. Especialy if they plan to hunt solo.

In my experience people always say how horribly slow and boring practice doll fighting is. What I suggest to counter things, is to do what the OP says, but when first starting to hunt do it with archery. Find some conditioned animals and send a ton of arrows their way, and get easy fs without worrying about dying.

The doll is a joke, I feel 20-30 normal will help you way more then 10-15 fs will and take less time.

Archery is nice as well, usually I won't advise it until a person is setlled into a village or has some friends, wemp can be difficult.

If you are able to obtain mass archery supplies it is also an effective way to level fs, however I would consider it a bit more fancy and advanced technique. The method I described is clean, fast and can be done in a timely fashion without a player feeling like they are in some huge never ending grind.

Also a note, your first few points of shield may be a bit longer to get because you don't block very well to get skill, after about 10 skill it picks up rapidly.

The 2 handed weapon will allow you to blow past those first few points of FS to get yourself some CR to hunt easier.

Edited by Suntzu
  • Like 1

I would suggest that shield training be done first on a pig to 10 or 15 skill, then on a horse.

If you have the body control to ride a horse, the height bonus is basically like having your 10 points of fightskill already, so don't bother with a practice doll at all. I also don't know about the 2hander idea. If you already have 30 shield skill, you're more than ready to kill most creatures around. Even at 30 skill, a decent ql shield is probably more helpful than doing some extra damage.

Also if one shield trains in such a manner, sometimes skillgain in the fighting subskill will stop after half an hour or so. In that case simply switch target or switch fighting style.

Additionally if one wants to get their weaponless up (its basically just an extra kick attack), dont wear the armor, especially the pants. :P

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

Additionally if one wants to get their weaponless up (its basically just an extra kick attack), dont wear the armor, especially the pants. :P

Once weaponless fighting is at a certain level, does your character start kicking even when wearing armour?

Once weaponless fighting is at a certain level, does your character start kicking even when wearing armour?

No

• Like 1

Thanks for this Suntzu. Can anyone clarify the effect of SB on FS gain. I have always been told that it had no effect. Should I use it while hunting or only for the shield work?

• Like 1

It effects subsill, but not overall.

Its not a bad idea to use it when hunting if you dont use it on much else for the weapon skill.

• Like 1

I would focus your SB on your shield training, by doing so you can obtain high end levels quickly. SB does not help you gain FS. However when you do your grind for your preferred weaponskill you will pvp with it greatly helps weaponskill gain.

I suggest using the 2 hander to get your fs because it is so fast to kill things, even stuff out of your range, if you were to use a regular weapon to gain your fs initially you will have a harder time and it ends up taking longer. I find it better to just go back and do the primary weaponskill with SB after the fact. Seems counter intuitive but you will have a much easier time gaining FS skill with the 2 hander and grinding up your primary pvp weapon later goes very fast with SB.

Bring plenty of cotton!

• Like 2

One thing ian about the 2 hander ian, with a 2 hander you can easly kill greenish, trolls, raging etc, which give epic skillgains, perhaps .5 range per kill, using a reg weapon and a horse sure you can hop in and out to heal but overall it will take longer time and not be as effective.

The intial shield training is to give you the normal to help you hunt, the shield skill is a bonus which you will have some head start ready to go after you get your fs and start your weaponskill grind.

I can kill a troll in roughly 5 hits with my 2 hander with low fs even, not possible with a one handed weapon starting out, you may kill them eventully but it wil be a struggle. In the case of the two hander he will be dead and youll be keeping up a good fast pace of getting kills with it for a faster ride to 70 fs.

Edited by Suntzu
  • Like 1

Hi,

whacking pigs, foals and little cows? How heroic!

I'm PvE, but I'm too proud to do such - hurting pigs? Orly?

We do weapon skilling with chopping trees with a QL 1 version of our desired weapon. Until 20 weapon skill. Then we work on a doll, with an 1 QL shaft, until our fighting goes up.

This should be enough now to have the BC to ride a horse (besides the BC we got from other duties). Now we go out and start killing things.

I'm admiring our heroic PvP friends, and their lack of fear. But if I read this, I cannot but imagine something that would make me laugh. An upcoming hero, fearlessly whacking on a young pig ...

Have a good time!

• Like 1

Do not worry, Xandra, we also care about our animals. Killing weak animals is low! One time when I was in BL, I accidentally killed a hen, and before I knew it, I was known as the 'hen killer'.

To avoid bruising them, you can go defensive and you won't even scratch it (attacks will do zero damage). That way, you will get your shield and defensive fighting skill, while not having to worry about your animal's health!

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, August 10, 2012 - off topic
Hidden by KaiH, August 10, 2012 - off topic

In BL we have daily inspections to check on the health of our animals. Any animal cruelty results in the deed responsible being shut down instantly.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, August 10, 2012 - off topic
Hidden by KaiH, August 10, 2012 - off topic

I hide sick cattle under the floor boards, the inspection'll never find out!

One thing ian about the 2 hander ian, with a 2 hander you can easly kill greenish, trolls, raging etc, which give epic skillgains, perhaps .5 range per kill, using a reg weapon and a horse sure you can hop in and out to heal but overall it will take longer time and not be as effective.

The intial shield training is to give you the normal to help you hunt, the shield skill is a bonus which you will have some head start ready to go after you get your fs and start your weaponskill grind.

I could imagine how this would work if you do only grind to 30 shield skill before starting the FS grind. However, shieldskill comes much more quickly when you have low FS, because of the larger amount of incoming hits. I've personally never tried to grind FS with only 30 shieldskill, because yes, you get beat up a lot. If the idea is to grind shieldskill, and not even use it until you have 70 FS, it doesnt make sense to switch over to grinding FS. It would be more efficient to simply grind shieldskill up to 50+ before even starting the FS grind. Then you could simply hunt with a shield and sword, and trust me, you can easily kill greenish spiders with 50 shield skill, 30 normal fighting subskill, 20 longsword skill, and 1.0 FS. This way you would be gaining valuable shield and weapon skill while grinding FS, speeding up the whole process.

Edited by ianrose

get some blessings of the dark/circle of cunning

go to your homeserver and kill things

sit infront of a horse in hunting gear w/o weapon

pvp ready

You might be able to kill them, but in my experience it will take alot of backing out to heal which costs time and it is not easy, I have trouble killing greenish atm and I have some decent skills, I usually can do it without backing out if I shield bash it constantly but I end up hurt prety bad (50 shieldbashing/70 shield/70 normal). I've tried to compile the fastest and most efficient method to get ready to be able to pvp effectively. In my mind the backing out costs time.

I honestly don't see someone being able to handle greenish without 70fs and lower skills without costing yourself a ton of time. The horse training is designed mainly to get the normal up a bit, the shield skill is simply a bonus in this method.

question about whacking on critters. if you hit on, say, a foal, then leave the pen, will the creature drop agro to you? or will it be like some non-agro wildlife and drop agro till you get close, then remember you and go red again?

dont want to piss off a horse without good reason. haha

Any critter, pets included, will reset to default (their natural state) towards you if you back off far enough. Pets can require longer distances.

Yes, however the char I was on had over 50 weaponless then. Its just an occasional light attack that pops in. Difficult to say how much exactly armor slows it down, and how much the skill level affects it.

EDIT: Its not like one becomes a tae kwon do master :ph34r:

Edited by Klaa

question about whacking on critters. if you hit on, say, a foal, then leave the pen, will the creature drop agro to you? or will it be like some non-agro wildlife and drop agro till you get close, then remember you and go red again?

dont want to piss off a horse without good reason. haha

Best to no-target them after you back off after a bit it just becomes habit to do so.

• Like 1

i have a question, is it better to train shield skill with a low ql shield or a high one?

This is an excellent thread for helping untangle the extremely complex and often frustrating combat/pvp system in wurm for those who are interested in delving into it.