Sign in to follow this  
Suntzu

Easy Guide To Pvp Grinding On Epic- "get In The Game"

i have a question, is it better to train shield skill with a low ql shield or a high one?

Higher ql is better for hunting as higher ql does block more, but if you're training, you do want a 1ql high coc shield.

• Like 1

i have a question, is it better to train shield skill with a low ql shield or a high one?

When you're starting out with 1.0 skill in your shield of choice, you'll want to begin training with a 30-50ql shield, and repair it down or switch to a lower ql shield once you have some skill.

This is an excellent thread for helping untangle the extremely complex and often frustrating combat/pvp system in wurm for those who are interested in delving into it.

Pinned for future reference.

Keep the thread clean, constructive and the good tips rolling in.

Some tips I can come up with now:

- Grinding shieldbashing is the worst thing ever, but you might as well get some skill in it while grinding your shield skill. Bashing is extremely useful but most people don't bother grinding it because it's so slow. Shieldbashing sort of gets easier over time, because you will be more succesfull with bashing things.

- If you really want to focus on pvp (and not crafting), consider going priest as early as possible (after you got some body stats). My own opinion is Libila > Magranon > Vynora > Fo for pvp. Libila has the least stupid restrictions (you can mine, woodcut, destroy, lockpick, steal), has a few really useful pvp spells and also decent enchants. .

- Archery is extremely important in pvp, so make sure you grind that to atleast about 30-50 by grabbing a longbow and some arrow shafts and practice on a target. After that you can shoot animals.

- The only way to gain body stamina on Epic is from woodcutting and milling. While body stamina is not reeeaaally important, it's a good to woodcut once in a while to get some body stamina (and other useful body stats).

- If you want to focus on Body control, you should do archery, fletching, but also fighting with swords and I also think shield grinding.

- You don't get any channeling gain from vesseling on Epic, meaning all <10ql gems are pretty much useless. Getting 70+ channeling on Epic is really hard without kingdom titles or other people casting things on your account. You will have to rely on spells that are 60 difficulty and dont use much favor.

- Best to stick with one weapon (so you can focus on it). 40 weapon skill is probably the minimum you should really pvp with. 50+ is decent and higher is better of course. Usually you don't really have to put effort in your weapon skill up to around 40-50, where you just get the weapon skill while grinding FS.

- For your shield skill, 50 (sub skill, so for example 50 large metal shield skill) is often the minimum you should have to actually seriously pvp. 60 is fine and higher than 70 is great. I use a horse to grind LMS on and even at 70+ it is still okay.

Or if you are lazy (or just awfully bad at grinding) like me, you can always buy an account!

• Like 1

- Grinding shieldbashing is the worst thing ever, but you might as well get some skill in it while grinding your shield skill. Bashing is extremely useful but most people don't bother grinding it because it's so slow. Shieldbashing sort of gets easier over time, because you will be more succesfull with bashing things.

- Archery is extremely important in pvp, so make sure you grind that to atleast about 30-50 by grabbing a longbow and some arrow shafts and practice on a target. After that you can shoot animals.

Shield bashing seems near impossible to grind until you get around 10 skill or so, then it becomes dirt easy to get semi-reliable skill for bashing. After 50 it becomes a brick wall to grind.

For archery I actually recommend shortbow over longbow. I took the time to grind both of them, and I've so far gotten far more use from a shortbow.

• Like 1

Short bow is very useful, but considerably more annoying to grind. Personally I grind short bow at long bow range, because I don't like having monsters attack me while I try to shoot them.

I haven't really used a shortbow a lot so I can't say much about it. I never really felt that I needed a shortbow though. I used archery mostly to shoot down horses from distance or shooting captain/others in boat pvp and a longbow worked great for that.

The most useful time was that time with me, kuzym and dekaru on a boat when 5 BLers arrived. It's one of those 'ok, 100% you will die' moments. I only managed to get a few shots I think on the captain before they were too close. They were next to us really quickly and it was mostly down to me and kuzym. We still managed to kill the captain because he was already quite wounded from the arrows and we might even have killed him with arrows only if things had gone a little better.

sorry, it's a bit off topic, but it was one of those moments where I was really glad I had a longbow (and one of the more exciting fights I had in Wurm) :D

• Like 2

As of late shortbow has become alot more prevalent. Shooting through windows is becoming common knowledge and when being approached by a gank you will find more and more guys hanging out at the back of the group archering while the tanks roll in. Short yardage situations can be rather common in deed defense.

That being said longbow continues to find its uses as BRQQQ mentioned.

I endorse training both as a side goal to the initial speed method of pvp training.

I have found grinding longbow up to level to be able to consistently make face shots as very helpful. Horses with barding have no protection on their face. So 3 good shots kills a normal horse and 5-8 kills a hell horse. One face shot really puts the brakes on a horse or hell horse.

• Like 2

This is full of useful stuff for a carebear noodle like myself looking to shore up his pasta. Thanks to OP and all contributors!

• Like 1

Invest in a nice compass (50QL) with some WoA or BoTD and a good version of the server map. Start off by exploring your immediate local range for a few days and get to know the lay of the land. Then, over time, reach further out as you understand your surroundings more and more. The reason I say start off in local range is because a lot of times PvP happens within local range of your own deed when you are out cutting wood or digging dirt or something. It's good to know every single tile of your local.

• Like 2

You should relay how many hours, instead of days, it'll take them to grind up. I've played for a total of about three months, and I'm nowhere near the numbers you guys say I should be at.

Mind you, I play maybe an hour or two a night, but you factor in getting food, building things, avoiding that which may Want to kill you, and a there's not a lot of time left!

Mind you, I play more than I grind, as grinding isn't really fun for me, so I don't invest time exclusively to one skill. I'm also on elevation, without a deed surviving practically self sufficently. But a "day" could mean different timeframes for different people.

I'd recommend listening to Jock and joining a village on Aff. I'm just doing things the hard, survivalist fashion.

I'm interested in this discussion on kicking you get from weaponless fighting. An extra attack is an extra attack even if it is pathetic.

How heavy of armor do you need to put on before it's lost, and how heavy if armor were you wearing when you regained it at 50 weaponless fighting skill?

why using armor when grinding shield skill? I found out I get tons more shieldskill gain when I only equip shield and nothing else.

How long do you last before you have to back off to heal? You womt last very long and it takes time to back out and heal, it becomes innefficient, especially at higher skill levels you will need to train on an animal with a high combat rating to get good skill.

well i imagine the all very light wounds caused by my pig to be.. first aid gain :P .. at any case I could heal as fo priest so I guess that is why I like my way. xD

I would suggest that shield training be done first on a pig to 10 or 15 skill, then on a horse.

If you have the body control to ride a horse, the height bonus is basically like having your 10 points of fightskill already, so don't bother with a practice doll at all. I also don't know about the 2hander idea. If you already have 30 shield skill, you're more than ready to kill most creatures around. Even at 30 skill, a decent ql shield is probably more helpful than doing some extra damage.

I'm new to a pvp server but not so new on Indie. I baffle that you guys suggest normal fight? When I first started I was using defensive with a long sword and shield, I was getting hurt alot at low FS. Then, I got bored and tried agressive, suddenly I was killing things at 20 fs that had been getting the better of me before. At 30 fs w/ agressive stance, long sword, no shield bashing, I was killing anything on Indie weaker than trolls with ease. With 70ql armor, shield, sword, trolls still hurt ALOT, but hey, I had 30 fs and NO sb at all. I was using auto fight lol (not a good idea). As far as the practice dolls, meh..get some gear and a weap and cotton, find yourself some critters like lions, bears, rats ets..drag them to a place where you can hide behind a fence. Once there, heal up if needed, and go out swinging, run back to heal if needed. Make sure you have Hc's-cotton mats on hand, or even better,  HC's,-cotton  in your inv ready to go.

The first thing I did was getting 70 shieldskill, then I went out and could kill trolls with 1fs.

• Like 1