Sign in to follow this  
Crusader

/reputation And Hots-Prevention Rework.

I'm not against players going HotS, but I am against players going HotS unintentionally. Usually more often than not it's a new player making a mistake, turns HotS, and then teleported to a premium-only server where they then lose everything and can't login.

I think for new players joining Epic the first thing anyone does is explore, you wander aimlessly around old houses and abandoned deeds. Especially on Strongbox there is literally tons of old places around the starter deed, and wooden shacks, unlocked houses, rotting fences. A new player uses the "Steal" option unknowing of its consquences because the tutorial never covers it, loses reputation, tries again, loses more, and poof becomes HotS.

New players don't know what /reputation is, it is never covered in the tutorial. So this system is terribly misleading and entraps new players. You can't put blame on new players exploring and stealing, they don't know any better, they're new. You're killing new player's experiences on Epic when you add features like this and don't forewarn them that they may turn HotS. I suggest you make a pop-up warning come up after someone attempts to Steal that is a disclaimer to warn new players about the consequences of stealing and how to use /reputation.

That or remove it for f2p players, most f2p are victims to this unintentionally. Make this "feature" for premium-only, so least if they go HotS they can respawn on Elevation and actually play, not be lost in limbo as a f2p.

Edited by Crusader
  • Like 2

This is what I think the reputation system needs:

1) Fix lawful. If it's turned on, you may NOT lose reputation.

2) Add more explanation in the tutorial or perhaps a popup box: once after your first reputation loss and once BEFORE you turn HotS, having them confirm that they will switch to another kingdom if they do this specific action.

Additionally it would be a good idea to lower the reputation hit from shooting at people's pets or at people. -30 per shot VS -20 for killing people doesn't make sense.

Why are Hots Converted players spawned on elevation and not Affliction anyways?

Why are Hots Converted players spawned on elevation and not Affliction anyways?

Just how the code is, it goes to the connected server first unless you have a deed elsewhere. I agree with what Wiro is saying also, there just is no warning for new players to know at all about going HotS and the penalties of stealing.

Imagine a new person starting the game, they spend 20 minutes or so running the tutorial, they come to MRH/JKH. They walk around, attempt to steal, then oddly change kingdoms unknowingly, are killed, and can't respawn. They aren't going to play again, they'll quit.

Edited by Crusader

What I don't understand is, you get the message telling you that you're now able to steal things at 20.5 body control. Why doesn't this work? It would prevent the brand new f2p nub from stealing.

What Wiro said would really be a nice feature. A pop up box on your first reputation hit telling you that you may/are becoming an outlaw, the penalties of such, and that continued rep loss will convert you BL. Cannot require turning lawful off for all rep loss actions though, or mayors wouldn't be able to kill a theif/griefer/spy alt.

Also, the rep hits on home servers really need tweaking. If I steal something on Elevation, I get -10 rep iirc. If I steal/lockpick on Desertion, I lose -103 rep, what's up with that? Lastly, a very useful and simple addition is to give an event message displaying your reputation after every action you do that lowers your rep. When you type /reputations, it'll tell you if you're an outlaw, or close to joining the horde of the summoned, display that in events automatically, and people will hopefully be more aware of the repercussions.

I think we should just have outlaws and not have the hots convert. Having outlaws living in the wilderness would be fun, especially if it severed them from kchat and changed their appearance slightly. Add a few warnings, and players can make an informed choice to live as a lawless outlaw without the threat of inexplicably becoming a pale skinned devil worshipper.

• Like 2

I think we should just have outlaws and not have the hots convert. Having outlaws living in the wilderness would be fun, especially if it severed them from kchat and changed their appearance slightly. Add a few warnings, and players can make an informed choice to live as a lawless outlaw without the threat of inexplicably becoming a pale skinned devil worshipper.

This has ALL the good parts of the reputation system while leaving all the bad things out. I really hope this will be added. :P

Agreed, the reputation system does need a re-work. For a new player, it can't be a good experience to suddenly lose everything and be teleported away. :-/

It effectively was this before getting teleported to the hots capital was added. People would become outlaw and have to live off deed for a while until the status passed. One generally wouldn't go hots because it wasn't so sudden.

I cant agree as without some final forced move to hots or wherever there would be no way to purge or effectively dispatch with cross kingdom F2P alts who could then harrass and grief any home server forever. Eventually dragging down the real residents reputation to theirs while making new players lives miserable right in the spawn for however long they felt like doing it since killing them would cause them to respawn right there immediately. It would also make shutting down enemy alt built safehouse/beachhead operations long term a long and grueling matter of constant destruction/construction wall by wall as you couldn't eventually purge them from the server permanently