Sign in to follow this  
Zcul

Arched Wall Feedback Thread

sad, and now they are dead to me.

Its a temporary fix, not permanent.

I really love the stone archways they look spectacular.

I am bummed that having outside arches with solid interior does not let you sleep in beds, so I am hoping the update that allows you to sleep in beds with solid interior comes sooner rather than later!

Not a big fan of the look of the wooden arches, because it looks like someone took a solid wall and used a jigsaw to rough cut an arch/shaped hole in it. Wish there was some decorative trim along the edge or something to make it look more 'finished'.like the stone arches

Agreed on both accounts. It does sort of look like the wood arches need some sort of edging or something on them

Its a temporary fix, not permanent.

In Wurm temporary fix can easily mean three years. Depending on how much work it would be and how much else needs doing.

But considering that buildings are the top priority item at the moment, it won't be long in this case.

Would it be possible to have an option to allow a continuous wall segment of arches (Wall->Arch->Arch->Wall) to be joined into a single arch graphic?

I would visualize this as you plan the house, the first segment you select Build Arch, the second segment, you select Build Arch or Continue Arch. You select the build option you get the center post, you select continue, you get a larger arch. Logic for it could be to check the join to see if there is already an arch planned, if not, only get the build option? Also, only applies if the wall segments are linear.. so no corners allowing the Continue option. As well as applying a max number of "Continues" to a single arch.

Edited by Hussars
  • Like 1

What's the opinion on crops inside building with exterior arched walls? I haven't tried it but I'm guessing that its no different then original houses. You can sow the seed but it dies shortly after.

Realistically, crops on tiles directly next to the walls would grow. Interior tiles probably won't grow. For fun sake I think we should side step realism here.

Can we get an arched wall with a fence across the bottom for railing? Maybe a good match can be the wood fence as it uses the same willow texture/color?

I like them. Don't mind the mats needed, don't mind the look. Arched walls and double doors are great additions.

I have a house where the north wall is 4 tiles, south is 3 tiles and it is 6 tiles wide. I have interior walls making the house 3x6 tiles and a kind of verandah with arched walls that is 4x1. And I cant sleep in a bed, is there an estimated date for a fix on this?

Thanks

Edited by Radamath

As I temporary solution for this arched wall breezy unsleepable bed situation, I resorted to just making a 1 tile wood shack with bed for my alt to sleep in while building these arched structures. Just stuck it out of the way for use as some sort of shed later.

=Ayes=

[13:42:08] You would get no sleep in this drafty area of the house.

I have two arched walls for my house serving as a garage/stable. This area of the house is sealed off by solid walls and a double door. Right now I can't sleep and it would be nice to sleep again.

558528_432522960133382_561281224_n.jpg

Can't wait for proper rooms like the post above me. Maybe *temporarily* (:P) disable the restriction until the feature is added.

It would be good to know if the fix for this is coming soon or 'soonTM'. I'm living in a wooden shack currently waiting to build my house. If it's a long way off I'll just give up and build without arches.

• Like 1

Ok making arched walls block animals as a temporary fix for collision problems with locked houses and arched walls.

I realize this is a temporary fix and don't mean to be a pain :) (what can I say, it comes naturally), but...

While this addressed a temporary issue some were having, it has created a temporary issue for others. I've stopped construction on my stables until this is fixed but the arches I already had put up are now causing free-movement issues for my horses.

Any indication as to where this fix stands in what must be a long list of priorities?

As it stands, I am looking at having to destroy the arches I've already put up. Apparently not an option those with the prior issue had considered :unsure:

Do I really need to do it? Or is this at the top of the list with an imminent fix?

Thanks!

It would be good to know if the fix for this is coming soon or 'soonTM'. I'm living in a wooden shack currently waiting to build my house. If it's a long way off I'll just give up and build without arches.

I wouldn't count on this being changed at all.

I realize this is a temporary fix and don't mean to be a pain :) (what can I say, it comes naturally), but...

While this addressed a temporary issue some were having, it has created a temporary issue for others. I've stopped construction on my stables until this is fixed but the arches I already had put up are now causing free-movement issues for my horses.

Any indication as to where this fix stands in what must be a long list of priorities?

As it stands, I am looking at having to destroy the arches I've already put up. Apparently not an option those with the prior issue had considered :unsure:

Do I really need to do it? Or is this at the top of the list with an imminent fix?

Thanks!

I wouldn't count on it this month

I wouldn't count on it this month

Okay, good to know, thanks!

Would have felt rather silly taking things apart only to see it patched the next day :)

Glad I haven't made any arched walls yet. Sounds like it's going to be another bugged feature that never gets fixed.

Actually, I hope it does get fixed, and I think any replies from staff should only come from those with the proper knowledge of the progress on this issue.

Sorry Manny, but you are guessing, and your GM title can mislead most into thinking what you say is going to be policy.

Houses, whether built with arched walls or not, should still provide protection. You don't cover yourself from wind when you build a shelter, you cover yourself from the rain and snow that will fall on you in your sleep (well, it goes through the roof in Wurm...). I don't understand why it's such an issue to just allow beds to be built when there's arched walls on the exterior...

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 4

Houses, whether built with arched walls or not, should still provide protection. You don't cover yourself from wind when you build a shelter, you cover yourself from the rain and snow that will fall on you in your sleep (well, it goes through the roof in Wurm...). I don't understand why it's such an issue to just allow beds to be built when there's arched walls on the exterior...

Agree, and doing this would at least solve one of the two most urgent issues with the arched walls quickly too. And after all... who doesn't sleep like a rose, softly swinging in that hammock on the verandah, touched by the cooling summerbreeze! :D

I don't know if this is a known issue (and maybe not related to arched walls), but when i destroyed an arched wall from one of my buildings and replaced it with a window, the new window becomes buggy, partly behaving as a door - You hear the door sound when going near and the wall is not really solid, you can walk in and get bumped back.

It's nothing game-breaking though.

Ok making arched walls block animals as a temporary fix for collision problems with locked houses and arched walls.

Also regarding sleeping, you should be able to have arched walls as indoor walls and still be able to sleep in beds.

Do we have an approximate eta on the bed/arched wall fix? apart from "soon" :P

- Fixing the bed issue means some hairy calcs (hairy for me, others may think its trivial) on how the rooms are formed and if they form an enclosing or not sufficent to support the bed, right now alot is being done with multistory so this is lower prio than multistory.

- Having mobs move through arched walls (+ fixing the animal-walks-through-doors-if-house-contains-arched-wall-bug) same as above. It's a priority thing.

Right now i'm hacking on the adding of various materials to the different floor types, after that its the collision in the client for Z that needs fixing.

So no Eta (other than 'soon')

- Fixing the bed issue means some hairy calcs (hairy for me, others may think its trivial) on how the rooms are formed and if they form an enclosing or not sufficent to support the bed, right now alot is being done with multistory so this is lower prio than multistory.

- Having mobs move through arched walls (+ fixing the animal-walks-through-doors-if-house-contains-arched-wall-bug) same as above. It's a priority thing.

So no Eta :-|

Zcul, isn't it more important that we can sleep in our houses? Since we have to wait this long I don't get why it would be an issue to temporarily disable the limitation. I don't think anyone minds letting realism go for a bit until this is fixed, especially considering being unable to sleep in a perfectly fine room is not realistic at all!

• Like 1