Sign in to follow this  
Zcul

Faster Ways Of Traveling Something For Wurm?

10 years ago playing Everquest much time was spent traveling, fast forward playing World Of Warcraft the travel time was significantly reduced with teleportation services, portals, gathering stones and whatnot. Should wurm sport some way of faster travel between villages, servers and points of interest and how can this be implemented without

ruining the general feel of Wurm?

@zcul

• Like 1

Yes it should if possible, sailing takes FAR too long and literally isn't any fun. It's realistic and boring.

• Like 7

Portals for allies between allied deeds. Have a priest cast the portal like mailboxes or something. You'd be limited by what you can carry on your inventory, meaning ships are still useful for bulk transport and areas where you have no allies. Limit these like guard towers or traders, one per 50/60 tiles.

Portals from spawn towns to spawn towns, to allow people to change server without spending 2hrs travelling.

e.g. Freedom Market to Tap Dance.

Give all boats a speed boost.

• Like 3

No, not really. I like it like it is. Now get working on those roads!

• Like 2

Slow travel makes the world bigger and is one of Wurm's greatest strengths, in my opinion.

Don't change a thing.

• Like 14

An interesting idea. I won't lie, I'm not a big fan of it, but if done properly, might not be too bad. Then again, I miss losing 4.5 kg of cloth every time you fail on a sail, and twice as much failing on squares. In my opinion, a lot of people play this game because it is so difficult. Give 'em an auto-map and quest pointer and watch populations drop like trees at a starter deed.

• Like 1

Portals for allies between allied deeds. Have a priest cast the portal like mailboxes or something. You'd be limited by what you can carry on your inventory, meaning ships are still useful for bulk transport and areas where you have no allies. Limit these like guard towers or traders, one per 50/60 tiles.

Portals from spawn towns to spawn towns, to allow people to change server without spending 2hrs travelling.

e.g. Freedom Market to Tap Dance.

Give all boats a speed boost.

i really like the idea of this, maybe an Epic portal with the Courier enchant could perform this action, however to stop it ruining pvp make it so you cannot use this if there are enemies in the local of either deed being teleported between, i dont really see any need to limit these as guard towers are, as maybe people nearby are in a different alliance but still wish to travel between allied deeds, but limit it to one per village somehow?

i also see no real need for a speed boost for boats, they seem fine to me :)

edit: sigh now I am depressed again.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

I think anyone that has played the original EQ and/or WoW as well as Wurm for any significant amount of time are gonna have mixed emotions on this. Having experienced both sides of this myself I am equally torn by this choice.

Both sides have pros and cons... and even some things can be considered a pro and a con at the same time. For the most part the benefits of each are pretty obvious... but I think the cons are what impacts a decision like this the most.

--Fast Travel makes any game world smaller. The ability to instantly go from one side of the map to the other significantly decreases the size of it.

--Fast Travel WILL impact PvP.... to be honest... it will impact it so much it would change it to an entirely different thing than what we are used to. A lot of changes would have to happen outside of creating and placing a fast travel method in game. Things like deed guard strength... repairs... greifing policiies and much much more. The list is pretty large.

--Fast Travel would be appealing to a much larger market group of people... the majority I would even say in comparison to those who like a slower paced larger world.

--Faster Travel would have an impact on the economy. It would stimulate more trade however there would be a flux in prices for everything as the shock of the change happened. In the end.... more trade would happen with a decrease in cost for most things.

There is a lot more things to list here... but it would take some time on my part to get them together and post.

I think making a decision on this requires A LOT of thought about it... it will move the game in a whole new direction if it was changed to this. It has the potential to attract and grow Wurm's customer base.... but it would leave a New Wurm in its place.

Edited by Perryn

I've been thinking some kind of flying mount would be cool, but there are no animals currently in the game that could fill the role, maybe some kind of new unicorn, with high taming requirements. Or, mix the portal and flying idea, step into an enchanted portal and you become a bird. Either way it should be limited in speed, I wouldn't want instant travel teleporting.

Edit: Oh and while I'm at it, lowering sails on boats so the wind doesn't push you around when you don't want it to and mooring while dragging would be nice too.

Edited by NESGamepro

Hot air balloons, leading to Dirigibles would be great, but I don't think the game engine is up to that.

No, can't see it. Rolf wants 'realism' so we can't have lights that light forever, don't see a reason to allow this kind of magic.

No thanks.

WoW is the most dumbed down game in history, not a game that you want to copy, and the EverQuest expansion that allowed fast travel was also the expansion that started the end of the best MMO ever.

I could maybe live with 1 portal in each server CENTER and it costing 10s to travel from 1 server to another, but I don't think the whole fast travel idea fit with Wurm.

Perhaps a new enchant for jewellery would do the trick? something that has a limited amount of charges (maybe a maximum of 10) and would need to be re-enchanted when it ran out :)

i could see portals between allied deeds kinda working maybe.

But would have to come with severe penalties.

atleast 24hr cooldown when used, and maybe a weakening effect for 10-15 minutes after being used reducing your CR to avoid people using it to rush to the aid of a town to defend it.. to avoid affecting pvp too much. (maybe 30 minutes weakness is more suited).

All similar to how theres a 1hr cooldown on the epic portal going back and forth.. except this is way more overpowered so needs much higher penalties.

And i also agree with others.. could be something priests enchanted.. something like courier on a portal or something. higher courier could reduce the weakness debuff timer.. say between 2 hours and 20-30 minutes as minimum.

Hide it inside several menus so the player gets wrist pains trying to teleport, lol.

I don't really like the idea of teleports I just think boat travel is the most boring and slow (however realistic) part of the game.

Faster travel between servers - Yes

Faster within a server - No

Each server should connect to all other servers, sail of any server edge and you should be asked which server you wish to travel to

Never thought I'd be a part of the lynch mob but I disagree with everything said here except for the teleportation from starter town to starter town, not for free though. I feel you would have to pay like 1 silver and have nothing in your inventory cross with you. I personally have two older characters that I want to start using again but they are stuck on inde and I am on exodus, it's going to be a pain just to get them.

Also hot air balloons and dirigibles would be far too futuristic and would lead to more advanced things like gunpowder etc. I personally love wurm so much because of the medieval feel. As soon as that starts to go away with the implementation of a "renaissance" of technology I have a feeling that I wouldn't be the only one that stops playing.

Never thought I'd be a part of the lynch mob but I disagree with everything said here except for the teleportation from starter town to starter town, not for free though.

**Edit**

Nevermind... took me a few times to re-read your post but I think i get what your saying.

So you agree with server to server... but not interserver travel right?

Edited by Perryn

I suggest using a portal constructed at a deed which will take the person to the starter deed ONLY and the starter deed portal would return them to the same deed when used. In this way, travel from the outer shores of the map to the interior (and back) would be instant. Otherwise, the maps are small enough now that a 10-20 minute horse ride can pretty much get you most places (except Inde and Chaos, of course).

However, to make it practical to use, there should be no restrictions on items. Let's face it, besides hunting, most long trips are shipments of goods or merchant checks, etc. So, if someone in a hitched large cart uses a portal in his or her village to hop to the starter village, the cart, horses, and driver all portal to the starter village. This will greatly help trade and cut travel times for delivery of goods across land. The caveat of this is similar to the epic portals as I mentioned above. You use a portal and it takes you ONLY to the starter deed. You use the starter deed portal to go back ONLY to the portal you left from.

Now realistically, this will potentially cut down on mailing fees - and we wouldn't want the king to lose money....

So, each hop costs 5 copper (10c round trip).

The new maps are already too small. Why make them smaller?

• Like 1

maby increase the speed on high ways? only on them that count as high ways and go strait turns will slow you down for a short wille? maby even dubbel the speed? but only with walking maby?

I hear what your saying Eyesgood.... and at this time im not for or against fast travel... however your view on it is in only one of the contexts it would be used for. End of the day... you have decreased any server by half in size by doing this because people will use it for the multitude of other reasons as well.

It actually suprises me a bit... Surviverman would have this take on it :) the joy of exploring and adventure would be diminished by such a mechanic.

Edited by Perryn

Maybe make sailing in general 2x quicker (bigger ships should easily exceed the speed of horses), however portals everywhere would ruin wurm for me.

Make boat travel faster.

• Like 1