Sign in to follow this  
Direwolf

Guard Towers With Permissions

I want to suggest that guard towers be changed to have permissions controlled by the person that created them, like boats and carts. The permissions would allow people to add or remove gear from the guards and anyone without permissions can merely call on them for assistance.

I don't know about anyone else but I have a lot of trolls in my area and want my guards to be able to kill them without dying all the time. I'd like to put armor and weapons on them for added defense and also because the idea of a guard with player provided gear seems cool to me. However, I won't for fear of someone coming and taking the items off the guards. Which if you think about it makes little to no sense because a soldier isn't going to just give you his gear unless ordered to do so by his superior(in this case the towers creator or a player with permissions).

Edited by Direwolf
  • Like 6

+1, I see so many guards with troll clubs and nothing else because troll clubs are so easily replacable, and it'd really stimulate the economy on Freedom is arming and armouring your guards became feasible because that gear wouldn't be instantly stolen.

One thing to think about would be what happens to the gear when a guard dies. Still a good idea +1

I'd say the corpse is treated like a players in which it is un-lootable except for by people with perms or the owner.

I don't think this idea would be one to be implemented on epic but it would work well for the freedom cluster.

• Like 1

+1 this should have be added along time ago it would also prevent abuse of players removing gear on other types of servers with F2P alts.

Make an armor and weapons/shields tub like the oil tubs. Guards that die drop their stuff back into it and ones that spawn draw from it. Make the tub lockable, and only folks with the key to the tub can modify what the guards are wearing. Make this tub a part of the tower when planted. Just name the box tower (blah 123) armory. Now folks that do not want guards armed can not put stuff in there. Folks that do can just drop 5 sets of gear/weapons/shields in there.

The guards could not even have to wear the armor in the armory. Just code that guards produced from the tower when the box has gear in it gains the stats from the gear. So you would not have to code armor moving etc etc.

Edited by Plebian

I like the idea of an armory item like the oil tub (perhaps make it look like a small room with a door that is inside the tower or attached to it), that way you don't have to constantly check to see if they died and then find the pile and reequip. The idea could be that the remaining living guards take the armor off their fallen comrade and put it back in the stores for the next soldier.

However, I would rather them code moving armor or at least make it to where we can see the armor, I feel like that adds to the game more than it takes away.

this would help it gets really annoying to try and arm a guard and it get stolin by some noob that does not respect a soldier in uniform

It could still be easily visible, and I am sure it would not be hard to just show the armor in the slots when examining guards. Even if the armor didn't actually move from the armory to the guards.

Ah okay, I didn't understand what you were saying, you were getting at the idea of the items physically moving out of the bin/tub onto the soldier, yeah that could be difficult. As long as you can see what the guard is wearing and take it off them if need be(with proper permissions) I don't care how it is done. If it would be too hard then just add the perms and skip the tub till it is something more doable.

I really don't need the tub Idea, but I do think that anyone else should be able to remove from a guard.

Edited by Protunia

I tend to agree that the ability to equip tower guards is under utilized (even made unusable due to the fact you will likely loose the gear you place on them to other players).

To make it so the owner of the tower (the one whose name is placed on it at creation) can only take equipment from a live or dead guard is a tricky subject due to players who leave the game as well as pvp/pve aspects.

My suggestion would be this... once any equipment is placed on any tower guard... it now is property of that guard and can not be removed by anyone... even the person who placed it there. When the guard dies... the equipment does not drop with it and simply disappears. This enables players to equip their guards at the expense of the equipment being lost due to death only... and not by other players. It has an equal balance between the pros and cons of equipping them with player made items... players get benefit from doing it... but also a cost to do it as well that does not involve other players looting them.

Edited by Perryn

I tend to agree with that idea Perryn, that is if the idea of permissions is too hard.

Here is a fix to the problem. The game already keeps track of inactive players, make it to where once a player goes inactive the permissions are no longer theirs. The first person to go to the tower and right click and say something along the lines of inherit or conquer or something can then be the one with the permissions for that tower. At the same time once a tower no longer has permissions the guards don't respawn until someone claims it as their own and makes it active again. Could be a cool feature to have abandoned guard towers.

For sure F2P should not be able to remove items if this is not already the case.

Edited by Protunia

No one should be able to remove the items except the person who gave them to them or the owner of the tower. I want to put some decent gear on my guards. Even premium players will steal it. It's not a question of F2P or Prem.

Guess this is as good a post to ask this as any.

Obviously tower guards have a base attack/damage and armor rating that has nothing to do with equipment.

Does placing equipment on them override this... or add to it? Either answer... how did you determine that is the way it is?

Edited by Perryn

I haven't the slightest clue. I always assumed that putting armor on to them just adds on to it but I could be wrong. I don't even really know how you would go about testing it. If someone can come up with an idea for testing I will try it and post my results.

Well... since Wurm doesn't have the traditional "You hit an old starving troll and do 14 dmg" we are left with a little bit of unknown what amount of damage not only are we dishing out... but taking at any given time.

A true unbiased test would require a tower guard of the same age vs a troll of the same age fight alone. do this approx. 10 to 20 times and get an average of dmg received by both. Then do this again with a low quality sword... mid quality sword... high quality sword. The results of all 4 tests should technically transfer over to armor.

A bit of a task to test LOL

Edited by Perryn

Great idea with a solid reason for it's implementation.

Halberds galore!

A true unbiased test would require a tower guard of the same age vs a troll of the same age fight alone. do this approx. 10 to 20 times and get an average of dmg received by both. Then do this again with a low quality sword... mid quality sword... high quality sword. The results of all 4 tests should technically transfer over to armor.

That's what you can use the test server for

wurmclienttest.jnlp

Just wanted to bump this, get it some more attention from those who haven't read it. I think this is a very easy idea and is one that has a lot more advantages to the game than it does disadvantages. I want(probably futilely) to attract the devs attention on this subject :)