Sign in to follow this  
Wiro

The Farming Grind

I was wondering ... is there anything to the farming grind other than ... just tend to the farm? I recall something about the type of crop being important. Currently my farming is at 55 and I want to go up to 90.

Cotton/wemp from 1-50, grains from 51-70, onions (and garlic according to some people) from 71 onwards

Ah, so onion for me since I'm at 80 effective farming (this is on Epic) with my 55 skill. Thanks, I'll change my fields asap. :)

There are some differences in skill gain between crops depending on your faming skill (for 85+ farming skill strawberries work fine, btw) but I (90+ farming) found it more rewarding to grow everything that I needed instead of stuff that would give more skill ticks.

Most important is the amount of fields you have and high coc on the rake.

-Turiel

Onion may give good ticks at 55, garlic won't until after 60, from there on out it's pretty much garlic and strawberries, with garlic showing slightly better gains at 75. Don't forget to add slope for difficulty. With an 80 ql 80 woa 80 coc rake on roughly 750 tiles of strawberries I gained about .77% each day from tending.

Get a low-quality rake with Circle of Cunning on it. Use sleep bonus. When you tend, queue up multiple actions, just enough so that you don't run out of stamina when you finish (tending takes longer, but skill-gain will increase proportionally).

tending takes longer, but skill-gain will increase proportionally).

Nope, not proportionally, That's one thing Rolf actually confirmed: Skill gain depends on the timer and on the left over stamina. It's not that you would get 30% exp on 30% stamina, but it's significantly less than 100%.

I tend to only que two actions, when I am able to pay attention to start the next two emediately on stamina reset.

Edited by Keldun

Nope, not proportionally, That's one thing Rolf actually confirmed: Skill gain depends on the timer and on the left over stamina. It's not that you would get 30% exp on 30% stamina, but it's significantly less than 100%.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I've actually tested this with a skill like animal husbandry, using a 1ql high coc brush, grooming with very low stamina letting the groom take twice as long, I get almost double the skillgain despite only having less than 20% stamina. I guess though it probably depends on the actual skill level and tool used.

I've seen, with mining, at ~30% stamina on finishing the second action I get at least 50% more skill gain than when I had ~75% stamina when I completed the first.

Well I multi-task (don't we all) so I queue up multiple actions anyways. Thanks for all the advice, it seems strawberries are the most useful product to plant at 83 farming since garlic can't be made into meals. Please correct me if I misunderstood your posts. :P

Im at 75 skill farming 200 tiles, get .6 every day :)

I don't think strawberries count as vegetables for meals, but onions are supposed to be pretty good as well.

I don't think strawberries count as vegetables for meals, but onions are supposed to be pretty good as well.

They can be used for beverage skill grinding. :D

The way I got to 90+ was to just get some coc on a low-QL rake and just farm whatever was needed. Never cared to select specific crops for specific skill intervals because the theories seemed shoddy. I did however use a sloped field (due to rock layer topology).

Is the effect of a sloped field really that significant? All my fields are flat and it would be tough to change that.

Is the effect of a sloped field really that significant? All my fields are flat and it would be tough to change that.

All my fields are 4 slope up W to E...

I get around .5 every tending session, with onions

Not hard to make your fields 4 slope. Go along the edge of a set of fields. First corner of first field, dig 2. Put those on next corner of field. Then go to next corner (all along the edge), dig 2 again, put those on next corner. When you get to the end, go back to where you started and go in one tile deep, turn in same direction as your first works, and repeat the same as in first row you did - and so on until you have all the tiles of your farm done.

Result by just digging two dirt on first corners, putting it on second, digging at third, putting that on fourth, etc is a whole field full of 4-dirt steep tiles, half with the slopes oriented one way, other half with the slopes oriented in opposite direction. With not much digging at all.

You can farm on 8 slope too, more difficulty = more skillgain?

Correct afaik, but does depend on the crop type difficulty as well