Sign in to follow this  
frank

Make It Possible For People To Make Texture Packs

HI!

I love wurm. It's an awesome game, but I think that the textures on different gameobjects(not all) needs better textures.

So why not make it possible for people to make their own texture packs or something.

Minecraft was made with only one texture pack. then they allowed others to make their own and now you can get HD texture packs for minecraft.

I know that me mentioning minecraft may offend some people. I like both games(wurm and minecraft) just as much, even though Minecraft has a faster gameplay.

just gather all the textures and place it in one folder with sub-folders and allow people to change the textures.

I know that it's might be a bit difficult or time consuming to make possible but this will do so that people can chose how they want it to look like.

If you don't like this idea then please don't get angry or anything. this is only a suggestion.

Thanks for reading. hope you understood ;S

Kind regards and great gaming times

-Frank

people will bug it and ruin pvp with diffrent textures so they can see better.

-1 because rolf loves pvp and doesnt care about the freedom servers.

• Like 1

Then maybe he can do so that people can make a texture pack and then test them on some models they can see and rotate(like some kind of 3d gallery) and make them like they want them. then they can post them to the forums and then Rolf can add them to a list of texture pack that the player can choose between from the settings.

Then maybe he can do so that people can make a texture pack and then test them on some models they can see and rotate(like some kind of 3d gallery) and make them like they want them. then they can post them to the forums and then Rolf can add them to a list of texture pack that the player can choose between from the settings.

both suggestions are a huge amount of effort and not really needed in my opinion, because, if you are really good enough you can also try to work as volunteer together with the wurm team :o

second: wurm is not like other mmos code wise and game mechanic wise...I doubt it's easy to make it possible to let players change textures....and checking everything a player made needs alot of time and you maybe know, that there are not many people working on this?

Isnt it already possible? Not sure if its anything like minecraft you would need to match the texture sizes and remove the meta inf folder, but i expect wurm will replace any changes made?

both suggestions are a huge amount of effort and not really needed in my opinion, because, if you are really good enough you can also try to work as volunteer together with the wurm team :o

second: wurm is not like other mmos code wise and game mechanic wise...I doubt it's easy to make it possible to let players change textures....and checking everything a player made needs alot of time and you maybe know, that there are not many people working on this?

yeah.. you're probably right. it would take long time to make. and yeah. If anyone could make textures for wurm and wanted to. they should join the team.

Isnt it already possible? Not sure if its anything like minecraft you would need to match the texture sizes and remove the meta inf folder, but i expect wurm will replace any changes made?

I tried changing the texture but wurm just updated itself and removed the one that I made :S

Thanks for replying. this post can be closed now.

Just wanted to add this real quick :)

This page shows the names of some Art Devs who may be able to point you in the right direction:

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Dev

I couldn't find someone who might be in charge of volunteers in particular, but I'd imagine one of the GM's or the new PR dude might know.

Good luck :)

Pretty sure your not supposed to mess with the client. You could argue that doing so is like hacking it.

A related note, I'd love a tool to set all textures to simplified solid colors and a toggle to make trees quite transparent. And I'd bring back the old yellow top crop graphic in a heart beat.

• Like 1

Both pvp and pve would allow exploiting for doing many things if this was possible.

No offense to Minecraft.... but it is the vanilla flavor of wurm in its game mechanics thus such things as player altered textures has no impact on the actual gameplay,

Edited by Perryn

You can open the pack files and look at the textures and replace them, but the game is coded to detect those changes and reupdate them with their own. I would say possibly may someday they could have a texture theme pack similar to the GUI selection, but then again there isn't a lot of "packs" to do. I mean I can see why Minecraft has multiple texture packs, but Wurm Online is pretty one-style textured, and I'm unsure if multiple texture packs would really be useful.

My understanding is that this is considered hacking (and there bannable I'd guess). I've heard of folks doing this very thing to change uniques into the white light when trying to find them etc. So I'd guess this will be a no go even though I think the idea has promise.

Didn't really think about pvp when i made this post :S

Both pvp and pve would allow exploiting for doing many things if this was possible.

No offense to Minecraft.... but it is the vanilla flavor of wurm in its game mechanics thus such things as player altered textures has no impact on the actual gameplay,

I think the same myself. Minecraft vanilla is pretty much just a blocky version of wurm online. and yeah. different textures won't really change gameplay. not for me. but some people can't play games with low resolution textures ( I'm not one of those)

I guess certain texture changes could be used to exploit, minecraft had a pretty nasty one where people would use alpha textures to replace the rock texture resulting in easy location of ores. Thankfully that would be impossible in wurm.

Maybe there could be an approved texture pack feature where they could be reviewed and allowed?

I guess certain texture changes could be used to exploit, minecraft had a pretty nasty one where people would use alpha textures to replace the rock texture resulting in easy location of ores. Thankfully that would be impossible in wurm.

Maybe there could be an approved texture pack feature where they could be reviewed and allowed?

Awesome. well said.

The art team is working on replacing old textures with new ones, so if you sit back and have some patience the worst looking ones will be replaced soon enough. If you have enough skills to make your own, good looking textures , you could always apply to be on the art team, but if the team had to review each and every bundle people submit they'd not be left with much time on their hands to add new stuff :P

Aye if you want to and can make new models and textures, give the gfx team a try.

The art team is working on replacing old textures with new ones, so if you sit back and have some patience the worst looking ones will be replaced soon enough. If you have enough skills to make your own, good looking textures , you could always apply to be on the art team, but if the team had to review each and every bundle people submit they'd not be left with much time on their hands to add new stuff :P

You're probably right. they wouldn't have time to do anything then.

Aye if you want to and can make new models and textures, give the gfx team a try.

I want to, and I have the time :D But I just have no clue on how to do it ;(

Wox and Saroman would be good people to start with, both big players in the art department